A new amp in the mix. From tube to solid state

prem

Have been always wanting to try a First Watt amp. Finally took the plunge. Will be getting the First Watt SIT 2 power amp. Since my phono stage has a 1v to 10v variable gain with an output impedance of 40 ohms and the First Watt has an input impedance of 100000 ohms, decided to go for a passive. Have finalised the EMIA autoformer vol control without the remote option

Here are the links

hifi heroin: Emia Exists.

FIRST WATT S2

Yes Iaudio. It will replace the Rethm Gaanam tube amp i have been using

Congrats on your new pre and amp Prem. The chocolate colored Emia will go well with your rack.

Hi Soulforged

Hopefully will get the amp sometime next month. Deliveries of the 240v version has not started.

So what prompted you to go for the First Watt in lieu of the Gaanam? Any auditions, reading, suggestions from other music lovers?

Hi iaudio

Just a feeling it might sound better. A very gut feel decision. Obviously wrote to a few to get an understanding of how these components sounded. Also the fact that Nelson Pass himself uses a Lowther DX 55 driver which is the same driver on my Rethms helped. Dave Slagle and Jeffrey Jackson, owners of EMIA too are very conversant with the Lowthers. Jeffrey in fact has a Lowther horn design. Srajan also thought the SIT 2 sounded wonderful with the Rethms. In fact he is the only person i know of who has heard the combo. Srajan however was in favor of a tube pre like the Modwright but since there was a lot of gain in my phono stage, decided upon a passive. In the passives, it was a toss up between the EMIA and the First Watt B1 but on Dick Olshers recommendation decided on EMIA.

Hi Anm

I buy almost all my stuff blind. I believe more in checking with people who have similar tastes like mine and do a lot of online research before pulling the trigger. With the exception of the Rethm Second, all my purchases in the last 20 years have been blind. In the 90s i used to depend on magazine reviews.

Hi Prem,

Congrats

Interesting developments ahead :)

Would most definitely come over for a listening session, when you are all set-up.

For all those asking questions about Prem's method of blind purchase, his level of re-search into a specific choice before he pulls the trigger, is totally mind boggling. The fact that he ends up getting what he wants without a demo is proof of his extensive re-search paying off. Hats off Prem

:)

Hi anm

The Rethm amp is sold. Its a very good tube amp for someone who is looking for a modern tube sound. Its linear, reasonably dynamic with decent extremes.

Hi Denom.

The vol control will come to me in 1st week of June. Dont know about the SIT 2. Its still in production. The 240v unit supplies have not started. Will let you know once set up.

Hi anm, denom

One other reason i chose the SIT 2 apart from the good things i heard about it was the fact that this would be a limited production run. SIT is not available in the open market. Nelson Pass had a special limited run of these which will be consumed in his SIT amps. He normally makes 100 amps in the First Watt series. Unlike other First Watt amps, DIY in this case will not be possible due to lack of availability of SITs.
The other power amps under consideration were Yamamoto A08S with 45 tubes, Jeffrey Jackson/David Slagle EMIA monoblocs using the 50 tube and Tron Voyager using the 20B tube. But i figured these could be purchased any time. Hence SIT 2.
I had already decided on going passive because there was enough gain to be had from my source and also output impedance of my source was very low.

A beautiful, well-constructed speaker with class-leading soundstage, imaging and bass that is fast, deep, and precise.
Back