A new member but old music lover

AjayB

HI, I am Ajay from Bangalore, today rejoined the hifivision after being silent listener from over a decade, I use to visit earlier for TV, home theatre discussion. My music listening goes back to early 70's when family had Philips LP player and later it moved towards cassettes which continued till late 90's, I was never into hifi (those days we hardly had reach to real hifi products), post started working in early 90's things turned into other direction and all my concentration went towards job and motorcycling and music took side seat and it became limited to MP3 usually played in car.
Fast forward 2022 I felt I had a good collection of cassettes and found that with good player they still outperform CD's and LP's with their dynamic range. Found a Nakamichi Dragon for a friend and the itch made me buy Pioneer cassette changer CTM 55R(yes you heard it right, cassette changer), later I picked Nakamichi BX-300 followed by Nakamichi DR-10, I am using them with Luxman LV 90 amp and JPW-200 bookshelf speakers.
Now I am into cassettes and players and even after having good collection of LP's somehow I am keeping myself away from them(costly affair).
Looking forward to interact with members and exchange knowledge about cassette decks and tapes.
Hoping to have a modern 2.0 setup soon with streaming amp and speakers for digital music.
Thanks.

HI, I am Ajay from Bangalore, today rejoined the hifivision after being silent listener from over a decade, I use to visit earlier for TV, home theatre discussion. My music listening goes back to early 70's when family had Philips LP player and later it moved towards cassettes which continued till late 90's, I was never into hifi (those days we hardly had reach to real hifi products), post started working in early 90's things turned into other direction and all my concentration went towards job and motorcycling and music took side seat and it became limited to MP3 usually played in car.
Fast forward 2022 I felt I had a good collection of cassettes and found that with good player they still outperform CD's and LP's with their dynamic range. Found a Nakamichi Dragon for a friend and the itch made me buy Pioneer cassette changer CTM 55R(yes you heard it right, cassette changer), later I picked Nakamichi BX-300 followed by Nakamichi DR-10, I am using them with Luxman LV 90 amp and JPW-200 bookshelf speakers.
Now I am into cassettes and players and even after having good collection of LP's somehow I am keeping myself away from them(costly affair).
Looking forward to interact with members and exchange knowledge about cassette decks and tapes.
Hoping to have a modern 2.0 setup soon with streaming amp and speakers for digital music.
Thanks.
Welcome! where'd you get the jpw's from?

Thanks.

Welcome and lovely to hear your journey. While we do have vehement debates on CD vs LP vs Streaming vs Flac etc on the end most of us are happy that proof of the music is in listening and if you enjoy it then its good :)

On the modern 2.0 I hope you only take baby steps since getting a modern setup especially for amps/Speakers are far more expensive than retaining your old setup and there is no assurance of better sound.
ditto for LP/Cassets and even CD sources

Streaming is one area where there is a lot of development but if you already have a cassette/CD of your music then you may be happier with your current setup.

So in the end its about what kind of music you listen to. Modern music is of course where you will get a benefit with modern equipment :).

Of course the usual budget constraints come in so need to decide based on the budget you have to speand !

Welcome and lovely to hear your journey. While we do have vehement debates on CD vs LP vs Streaming vs Flac etc on the end most of us are happy that proof of the music is in listening and if you enjoy it then its good :)

On the modern 2.0 I hope you only take baby steps since getting a modern setup especially for amps/Speakers are far more expensive than retaining your old setup and there is no assurance of better sound.
ditto for LP/Cassets and even CD sources

Streaming is one area where there is a lot of development but if you already have a cassette/CD of your music then you may be happier with your current setup.

So in the end its about what kind of music you listen to. Modern music is of course where you will get a benefit with modern equipment :).

Of course the usual budget constraints come in so need to decide based on the budget you have to speand !
I am mostly into Rock ranging from 70's till mid 90's, 80's Pop, Ghazels and the current setup works flawlessly with cassettes.
I am inclined towards Naim Atom streamer with integrated amp mated with either custom made speaker or something from BnW as a modern setup for digital music.
Modern setup seems to be on costlier side but felt still it's cheaper than picking NOS Nakamichis or even pre owned Nakamichi Dragon :)

Thanks.
Hi, Welcome to the forum.

I am mostly into Rock ranging from 70's till mid 90's, 80's Pop, Ghazels and the current setup works flawlessly with cassettes.
I am inclined towards Naim Atom streamer with integrated amp mated with either custom made speaker or something from BnW as a modern setup for digital music.
Modern setup seems to be on costlier side but felt still it's cheaper than picking NOS Nakamichis or even pre owned Nakamichi Dragon :)

Naim is really good and Atom is a great choice. If you have a design for a custom speaker nothing like it but if you want a Fyne Audio 500 Or F303 would be a wonderful option to go with that setup !

wonderful looking and soundIng and yet a very simple system !. I assume you have access to a good carpenter ?

Thanks.
❤ly welcome sir

Thanks.

Hi,

Welcome to HFV.

I am sure you will find your experience here very enriching and enjoyable.

Make sure to visit the countless posts which is based on direct experience, technical knowledge and honest feedback.

Hope you have a great journey here!

All the best!

Check out our special offers on Stereo Package & Bundles for all budget types.
Back