A new try for a fancy looking cheap DIY speaker

Sumanta

In between upgradation of my current OB and thinking about Jamo R909 clone, I thought of trying a new (to me only) type of speaker.

It started after I read a little bit about Pluto speaker and then thought of making it Indian.
Please see the attachment for my concept.

I want to use Philips HQ48002 or such cheap full ranger of 8inch or smaller size driver on a clay pot with options of add ons like

a) tuned port
b) horns, this seems quite difficult but can be done once I know what to look for.
c) fillers for sound absorbtion

Now, I need help from friends here who knows what to do for such a design. I am not much of use here, so is the request. It probably is a mix of Transmission line and bass reflex port for option 2 and a pure bass reflex port for option 1.
I can make the other end closed too like the pluto itself.

So, please come forward in helping me if this looks interesting to you! This is just a start..nothing from the calculation, driver selection is started.

Here is what I want it to be
A speaker set with cost of manufacturing not crossing 5K INR.
Speaker set capable of doing 40Hz (or less) to 15KHz.
A simple capacitor instead of complicated XO is preferred.

Once a basic arrangement is achieved, further betterment will be easier to design (costlier to achieve I guess).

Attachments

• speaker design.pdf
    50.7 KB · Views: 117
  • img-323153024-0001.pdf
    33.1 KB · Views: 112
Last edited:
Quite a radical design but interesting. For your option I, what about shell of a 'dhollak' or 'Naal'. Similar principle but lighter because of wood and tough. I will follow this thread.

Thinking of Cheap!.:cool:

I had similar type of setup during my college days for a brief time - without the stand but well sunken in sand.
Kenwood speakers ( spare from old car - about Rs. 120 ), driven by local amplifier ( HRC ) - we normally get on the streets of KOTI( hyd) for Rs.200.

The speaker was set up on the big size earthen pot. Sealed around using cycle tube.
Ports was made using paper roll pipes (7 in length 1 inch dia - chosen by trial and error) .
in short it was a boomy mess, then filled with Sand and settled at a level it controlled the boominess , also , instead of using glass-wool/Dacron, I had filled it with cotton waste / few loose balls of news paper.
:eek:hyeah:

the best part - I had to tune the box almost every other day I used to listen as though it was bass and treble knobs!:lol:
... but all for Rs.400.

Few pointers here...

1) The FS of Philips full range is 84Hz - operating it at 40Hz will be an overkill. Take a look at my bipole thread - http://www.hifivision.com/diy/14433-my-frugal-reference-loudspeaker-philips-fullrange.html

This thread might be useful - http://www.hifivision.com/diy/12792-ts-parameters-philips-8inch.html

2) Clay pots induce nasty resonance peaks, often producing a one-note sound. Another option is to try a PVC tube similar to these projects.

the toobs Mk 1

Gainphile: Linkwitz Pluto ... sewer pipe omni-directional loudspeakers

During my school days I had made a similar speaker using a 'matka' and it was my proud possession.
I used to listen music on this speaker even though we had a Philips powerhouse at home, just because it was made by me and it sounded really good :)
To avoid the boomy sound, I had drilled holes on it and it really opened up the sound. The driver used was a 2-way car speaker driven by the Philips powerhouse.
But sadly one day our household maid accidently hit it and it broke into pieces. So my beloved speaker, on which I had spent hundreds of hours was broken down to pieces in a single moment.
So be wary of the risk involved in using an earthen pot/matka.

Any enclosure made of wood is the safest bet.

Thanks to all of you for your posts.
What I need to know are links or formulae for deciding enclosure volume and tuning port dimension. Can anybody guide me there, please.
I can get those formula eventually but will definitely take time.
An easy explanation of those formulas will be the icing.

One more thing is a bit bewildering for me is that when Pluto has a tweeter capable to 100 to 30KHz or so and has a woofer for the lower half, why a simple capacitor will not be able to connect them and have a smooth SPL?

I will get toady's wonder speaker, computer speakers out of their box and put it in my design. But still if those woofers does not have sound propagation of an wide nature, I will miss bass being away and sitting somewhere else from the speaker.

I want this to be resembling a home decoration item rather than a speaker, hence the earthen pot. Cost is also a reason.
I am in no hurry....

Thanks to all of you for your posts.
What I need to know are links or formulae for deciding enclosure volume and tuning port dimension. Can anybody guide me there, please.
I can get those formula eventually but will definitely take time.
An easy explanation of those formulas will be the icing.

One more thing is a bit bewildering for me is that when Pluto has a tweeter capable to 100 to 30KHz or so and has a woofer for the lower half, why a simple capacitor will not be able to connect them and have a smooth SPL?

I will get toady's wonder speaker, computer speakers out of their box and put it in my design. But still if those woofers does not have sound propagation of an wide nature, I will miss bass being away and sitting somewhere else from the speaker.

I want this to be resembling a home decoration item rather than a speaker, hence the earthen pot. Cost is also a reason.
I am in no hurry....

download winisd, it will do everything for you and show you nice graphs. all you need is to enter the t/s parameters of the drivers in it. it will suggest you some default tunings, volumes etc and you can tweak it from there.

During my school days I had made a similar speaker using a 'matka' and it was my proud possession. ...

To avoid the boomy sound, I had drilled holes on it and it really opened up the sound. The driver used was a 2-way car speaker driven by the Philips powerhouse. ...

Any enclosure made of wood is the safest bet.

Hi Vivek,

What was the diameter of the holes and where were they placed? Near to the speakers or at the bottom, opposite the speakers which, I presume were at the top i.e. the mouth of the pot?

Regards.

In between upgradation of my current OB and thinking about Jamo R909 clone, I thought of trying a new (to me only) type of speaker.

It started after I read a little bit about Pluto speaker and then thought of making it Indian.
Please see the attachment for my concept.

I want to use Philips HQ48002 or such cheap full ranger of 8inch or smaller size driver on a clay pot with options of add ons like

a) tuned port
b) horns, this seems quite difficult but can be done once I know what to look for.
c) fillers for sound absorbtion

Now, I need help from friends here who knows what to do for such a design. I am not much of use here, so is the request. It probably is a mix of Transmission line and bass reflex port for option 2 and a pure bass reflex port for option 1.
I can make the other end closed too like the pluto itself.

So, please come forward in helping me if this looks interesting to you! This is just a start..nothing from the calculation, driver selection is started.

Here is what I want it to be
A speaker set with cost of manufacturing not crossing 5K INR.
Speaker set capable of doing 40Hz (or less) to 15KHz.
A simple capacitor instead of complicated XO is preferred.

Once a basic arrangement is achieved, further betterment will be easier to design (costlier to achieve I guess).

Were you able to complete this project.?

Dear Hari,
No, haven't thought of for it recently. Shifted my thinking to other designs.
At present I have design ready for my Jamo copy and a hybrid one, but don't know when will I be finally making them.

Dear Hari,
No, haven't thought of for it recently. Shifted my thinking to other designs.
At present I have design ready for my Jamo copy and a hybrid one, but don't know when will I be finally making them.

Np..!!

Bro hope you will start soon.

I have started off with mine. Dont know how it goes...:rolleyes:

Purchase the Audiolab 6000A Integrated Amplifier at a special offer price.
Back