A noob's review of Edifier R1280DB active speaker

swamytk

I use Edifier R1280DB active speaker for last three weeks. Being a noob it is my first good quality speaker. It is damn good upgrade from my earlier PC speaker setup. Better than my Philips Sound bar. It is very detailed and bass is enough for this size of speaker. First time I heard many new sounds in my usual audio tracks.

Internally it is powered by TI PCM9211 - 216kHz 24 bit DAC. A lot of sources supported. It has optical and coaxial digital ports + 2 RCA ports along with Bluetooth receiver support. Bass and treble controls are highly useful. A subout would have made it a complete one.

It looks good and takes considerable space on desk.

But it is a near field monitor. I have connected this to my Linux PC. So I need to place speakers facing towards my seating position and I need to sit in front of my PC (close to speaker). Once I move out of my chair in front of PC, it loses the clarity, detail, punch and volume.

Verdict: Good affordable speaker for PC usage. Even for a small room listening, look for something else.

But it is a near field monitor. I have connected this to my Linux PC. So I need to place speakers facing towards my seating position and I need to sit in front of my PC (close to speaker). Once I move out of my chair in front of PC, it loses the clarity, detail, punch and volume.
Try firing the speakers forwards without any toe-in and place 1 audio CD under each monitor so that it tilts upwards. Your sound stage should improve.

Try firing the speakers forwards without any toe-in and place 1 audio CD under each monitor so that it tilts upwards. Your sound stage should improve.
Thanks. But my use case is as PC speaker. So I don't mind. Since many people buy this as general music listening, I commented this.

Reviews on amazon and online is very good for these speakers are you using any dac with these speakers and audio file quality
I am not saying negative about this speaker. This is damn good for the price we pay for. It is meant to be used as near field monitor, it serves the purpose very well. I meant it is not meant for room filling music listening.

I tried playing FLAC collection with both internal DAC and external Fiio e10k DAC. It is crystal clear and punchy at right listening position.

I got these speakers about a month ago for my laptop and they exceeded expectation on all counts.
It's connected via coaxial to a Fiio X3 in USB DAC mode and raised off the desk by about 5 inches to match ear height. If it's placed at desk level, I recommend tilting it upwards towards the ear.
The Bluetooth works without issue and the tone controls are very effective.
The bass is is very good without being overbearing like most Bluetooth speakers, and is overall a well-balanced and punchy sound for near field listening.
Volume is sufficient for a small to mid size room and may workable soundbar substitute for TV considering it's bass punch.
Considering the price, build quality and connectivity options, it's a great buy for casual listening.

I got these speakers about a month ago for my laptop and they exceeded expectation on all counts.
It's connected via coaxial to a Fiio X3 in USB DAC mode and raised off the desk by about 5 inches to match ear height. If it's placed at desk level, I recommend tilting it upwards towards the ear.
The Bluetooth works without issue and the tone controls are very effective.
The bass is is very good without being overbearing like most Bluetooth speakers, and is overall a well-balanced and punchy sound for near field listening.
Volume is sufficient for a small to mid size room and may workable soundbar substitute for TV considering it's bass punch.
Considering the price, build quality and connectivity options, it's a great buy for casual listening.

Good to hear your enjoying them! The 1280's have defintely made quite the mark. :)

I happen to have the 1700BT and I'm planning to get the S1000DB for my room now. Reviews of the 1000DB over the internet are solid.

I have them too and I have connected my ion TT(and rarely phone through BT) to it to listen to vinyl in my workroom. It is a big compromise from my main setup with Monitor audio and NAD amp. The speaker uses a class-D amp internally and the volume control is fully digital causing deterioration of music. Class D is known for high efficiency and high distortion.
If you want studio monitors for PC or small setup go for M-Audios which are close to double the price (amazon price is for one piece BTW). But they sound really great. They use Class A/B bi-amped.

Buy from India's official online dealer!
Back