A phono pre-amp for a turntable that already has one!?

peace_sells

Hello,

Just joined this brilliant website. I've slowly built up a decent record collection and now I'm planning to buy my first turntable. There are a few things i'd like to ask.

Firstly how would you rate this turntable?
PylePro - PLTTB1 - Professional Belt-Drive Turntable

Secondly, if i have a turntable which has an in-built preamp, does it make sense to connect a separate preamp externally? (I bought Behringer PP400 from bajaao.com) Would that enhance the sound?

Lastly, I've heard that the sound from "turntable without preamp + external preamp" is much superior to the sound from a "turntable with built-in pre-amp". Is this true?

Cheers,
Saket.

PylePro - PLTTB1 - Professional Belt-Drive Turntable

From the link...
This rugged and reliable turntable is perfect for any begnining or mid-level DJ who is looking to get started -- or trying to get to the next level. Simple to use and packed with great features, the turntable even comes with a cartridge and stylus. Perfect for beat-matching, scatching, and playing vinyl of all kinds, the PLTTB1 is a DJ's dream come true.
I think that a DJ turntable has to satisfy different criteria to a hifi turntable. They have to stand up to what a home music listener would consider permanent misuse! They might even have to stand up to having the occasional bottle dropped on them. Whilst it is decades since I last saw a DJ in action, I suspect that it is still true that their music is played through PA systems that don't exactly prioritize fidelity or quality.

On the other hand, hifi turntables seem, these days, to start at rather high prices. If you can extend the budget though, I'm sure it will be worthwhile.

I haven't bought a turntable since 1990. Someone with more recent experience will be along to advise, soon :)

Well, if you are not too keen about hifi listening, this turntable should suffice. If its the entry level route you're planning to take, its not a bad idea to go for a pre-used turntable and then upgrade after you become familiar with the format. Remember, using a turntable for the first time will take some getting used to as it is not a plug and play device. Also the put-it-on, start it and forget it concept cannot be used for vinyl. Maintaining and playing vinyl is considered by many to be an "art".

Secondly, if i have a turntable which has an in-built preamp, does it make sense to connect a separate preamp externally? (I bought Behringer PP400 from bajaao.com) Would that enhance the sound?

Not too sure if the Behringer would sound too different from an internal phono preamp of budget or entry level TTs. Internal phonostages are very basic and ok for very casual listening. However if you want to go in for critical listening you'd need a better phono stage. NAD's phonostages are pretty decent.

Lastly, I've heard that the sound from "turntable without preamp + external preamp" is much superior to the sound from a "turntable with built-in pre-amp". Is this true?

This is dependent on the preamp. Phono preamps come with different specifications in different price ranges. A $10 phono box can never sound as good as a $1000 phonostage.

Hope this helps.

Thanks a lot for the inputs.

How about this turntable?
Pro-ject Essential Turntable - Pro-ject: Flipkart.com

This TT is a good entry point, however as Sachu has suggested, the best way to start is with a good vintage TT. The ground rule is to take someone along with you, give it a good check (external and internal) and listen to it playing atleast 1 complete LP, then take a decision to buy. Keeping an eye on the price is also essential.

Thing is i dont know anyone who'd know about vintage TTs..I live in Bangalore..does anyone know any places around here?

oh and yes..Peace Sells is my favourite Megadeth album (or maybe its a tie with Rust in Peace) :D recently purchased the heavy-duty 25th anniversary Box Set of Peace Sells :)

Hello,

As a Forum Member, I can offer you a Vintage Fully automatic Turntable. From my experience, a fully automatic Turntable is most convenient for a newcomer. If interested, you can send a PM. kuruvilajacob

From my experience, a fully automatic Turntable is most convenient for a newcomer.

At least get a semi-automatic deck. As you have been lulled into a trance by the music, the last thing you want is to have to jump up and raise the arm as it click...click...clicks around that final groove.

Actually, that's the second-to-last thing. If you get lulled further than into a trance, you don't want to wake up to find your stylus has been click-clicking for an hour or two!
Thing is i dont know anyone who'd know about vintage TTs
As a Forum Member, I can offer you a Vintage Fully automatic Turntable
You're in safe hands with kuruvilajacob re anything vinyl. Or possibly even anything round and black: I don't recall if his collection includes shellac.

Last edited:
Hello,

As a Forum Member, I can offer you a Vintage Fully automatic Turntable. From my experience, a fully automatic Turntable is most convenient for a newcomer. If interested, you can send a PM. kuruvilajacob

Which turntable is it? and how much would it cost?

Thanks.

on another note, your handling name reminds me of one of my favourite Megadeth albums, "Peace Sells....But Who's Buying"

Hey wanted your opinions on this turntable : Garrard Zero 100. Do you think it'll make a good beginner's TT?

Thanks.

Hey wanted your opinions on this turntable : Garrard Zero 100. Do you think it'll make a good beginner's TT?

Thanks.

There are lots of conflicting statements over the internet on the Garrard Zero. Pundits says that it was one of Garrard's poorly engineered decks. Some say this model was fantastic. However it was one of the most clever ideas to push vinyl replay to the limit. It has a tonearm which is in fact tangential, headshell is gradually skewed to keep a constant angle equivalent to that of the groove. However there were allegations that the Zero was built with cheap quality material for most part to keep costs down and hence lacks the well-known Garrard build quality and performance.

The different models were:

Zero 100 : idler drive changer with variable pitch, stroboscope and white/gold looks. Suggest you avoid this, constantly suffered from mechanical issues in auto mode

Zero 100S : as above plus variable stylus angle but not a changer. if you ever have to buy the Zero, this is the model to target

Zero 100SB : belt drive so if you are an idler guy, this is best avoided

Tone arm: check this carefully. Even the slightest bit of damage will deem it useless.

Overall, not bad for a start but if you ask me personally, if you're bent on Garrards, the SP25 is the best way to start. If you can raise the budget bar a bit and be patient, a Technics Direct Drive is an even better way to start.

My 2 cents!!

Thanks a lot! :) There's one more i saw..Garrard AT6! How's that different? Sorry if i'm bothering you with so many questions but i don't have much clue about all this :p

Thanks a lot! :) There's one more i saw..Garrard AT6! How's that different? Sorry if i'm bothering you with so many questions but i don't have much clue about all this :p
Another peice of advice that I went with... make sure your TT is/has

weight: heavy (at least 8.5 kg)
build: aluminium (no plastic bodies)
dust cover: must have
tonearm: S shaped or straight
Cartridge mount: Universal mount

P.S : Can you tell me where are you sourcing your TT from in Bangalore?

8.5 kg huh!? hmm..actually my dad has gone to the US..so i was thinking of buying it from ebay (there are lots of TTs for sale on the US ebay website) and shipping it to him..but now 8.5 kg will be quite tough to carry from there right :sad:

And I dont know any places in Bangalore..do you?

8.5 kg huh!? hmm..actually my dad has gone to the US..so i was thinking of buying it from ebay (there are lots of TTs for sale on the US ebay website) and shipping it to him..but now 8.5 kg will be quite tough to carry from there right :sad:

Hey thats nice. US is a good market for TTs in good condition and not priced steeply like the market here. Try looking at their local Buy/Sell sites. Transporting TTs is generally avoided but if they are packed technically correctly, it should be okay.

Also plus one with Reuben's suggestions. Try getting your hands on a good Technics.

Also, the Bangalore dealers here are no good at all. And as a begginner, you will be conned into picking a horrible TT at a crazy price. My advise, please avoid dealers or have an experienced friend accompany you to conduct the checks.

Last edited:
Get the Award Winning Diamond 12.3 Floorstanding Speakers on Special Offer
Back