A question on 8ohms rxv671 and 4ohm elac FS57.2 connections

sabarishm

(I had asked this question in else where in this forum section but thought I could get more responses if I have this question outside that thread)

Hi all, I had a rxv671 for a while with me and I was using my old sony mhc rv555's speakers with the avr. I have been visiting shops around bangalore to find a good bs for my avr (I only use it to listen to music and have it in my bedroom away from TV) and saw/heard a few that the shops had for demo. I had decided on either kef q300 or Usher v601 and went to buy a usher v601 after reading excellent reviews from around here and went to ARN, heard the speakers and it was good. I could have bought it but while billing their c.card reader was not working and I told them I will come and get it on Saturday. Back in the office, one of my colleague had mentioned me about her friends shop which was few minutes away from my office. Long story short, I bought elac fs57.2. I have been listening to few speakers they had (energy, onkyo, klipsch) and my previous shortlists. My ears did not find the elac fs any bad compared to them (those were affordable to me) and I felt they were better in low frequency response. But once I reach home I found that the speaker's nominal impedance is 4 ohms and the avr has 8 ohms. I remember while fiddling with settings when I got the avr first, that there was some settings where I can specify the speaker impedance in the receiver (not sure if I saw that, just remember seeing something along that line). After reading the old posts here, I have come to a conclusion that my best bet is to not increase the volume to higher levels. I have a couple of questions.

1) Can I just be careful with the volume level and feel safe about using the 4 ohm speakers ? I see some other fm had set the maximum volume threshold to some value. if so what would be a safe upper limit for volume ?
2) Are there some affordable options like Autoformers offered by ZeroImpedance- Improve your speaker sound quality with the use of an autoformer.
3) What is the general view on elac speakers here around the form with yamaha receivers.

Using 4 ohms speakers with Yamaha 671 is not advisable as it supports upto 6ohm.
Only if you plan to enjoy set up at low volume(usually no one does while watching movies),its OK,not wise.AVR can go to protection mode.
Not tried Zeroimpedence solution though.

Hello,

As per Yamaha Rx - v671 Manual. I think you need to set 6 ohms and then..... You can also use 4 ohm speakers as the Front Speakers.

Attached is the screenshot of PDF.

Last edited:
I think this option is available only in the US based models and not available in Asia/Pacific models. I have the 571 receiver brought in India and the manual says use the switch to change the ohms (with an * only for US models). So see if this is true.

Thanks

welll i have Yamaha Rx -v671 & Wharf 9.5 (5.1).

As Wharf 9.5 speakers are 6 ohms so i have made the changes on my AMP from 8 ohms to 6 ohms.....and yes i have taken the AMP from Bangalore itself :)

spirovious, thanks for the advice. I guess I am stuck with this speaker for a while and also I do not have a tv connected to this and do not use it for Movies. Its just for music. I guess I should sell off my avr and subwoofer and buy a good stereo amp and be happy with the speakers :D

YPS, thanks a lot for your time and effort. That little part from the manual is really reassuring for me to use these speakers for music !!

Last edited:
np, but don't forget to set the AMP on 6 ohms ;-)

that is what mentioned in the Manual.

spirovious, thanks for the advice. I guess I am stuck with this speaker for a while and also I do not have a tv connected to this and do not use it for Movies. Its just for music. I guess I should sell off my avr and subwoofer and buy a good stereo amp and be happy with the speakers :D

YPS, thanks a lot for your time and effort. That little part from the manual is really reassuring for me to use these speakers for music !!

Well if you dont use it for movies,then its not worth & really a stereo setup is the choice.
Now Asian models can be switched to 6 ohms by going into advance set up.Unlike Onky 609,Yamaha AVR can be configed to 6 ohms only.
I have used 4 ohm speakers during Mumbai meet & 667 could drive it.Still I will not suggest to do regularly.

spirovious @ You mean we should not change the impedence setting on our Yamaha AMP (Default is 8 ohms) even if speakers are 6 ohms (Like mine are Wharf 9.5 @ 6 ohms)?

Keeping AMP on 8 ohms and connecting 6 ohms spekaer will not be any problem ?

spirovious @ You mean we should not change the impedence setting on our Yamaha AMP (Default is 8 ohms) even if speakers are 6 ohms (Like mine are Wharf 9.5 @ 6 ohms)?

Keeping AMP on 8 ohms and connecting 6 ohms spekaer will not be any problem ?

Certainly you should(use 6 ohm).I am talking about 4ohm speakers.Even though we change to 6ohm,4 omh speakers can drain the amp.Amp Impedance should match for smooth drive.Yamaha power consumption is much lower than Onkyo due to low rated power supply.(Onkyo 609 has 600w & Yamaha 667 has only 400w when both are rated 90w/pc.671 has still lower power consumption than 667,around 330W)
Read post 3-
http://www.hifivision.com/surround-...82-yamaha-avr-owners-thread-67-71-series.html

Last edited:
Been using the speakers for a few days now and so far the loudest I have gone to was -25, which was the maximum I could tolerate. I had it at that volume for a 20min to 30min and the avr heated up for the first time since I bought it, but not tooo hot. So I guess I am safe to use it at my comfortable volume levels after setting the receiver speaker impedance to 6 Ohms.

However, since few days I had this thought in my mind that I am wasting the avr in my bedroom using it only for the music. I do not wish to keep the avr in the living room as I cannot listen to the music there in peace, and my wife never agreed to keep the tv in the bedroom. Buying a second tv is an extravagance for my need and hence been thinking of selling off my avr (671) and subwoofer (polk psw505 120v) , then using that money buy a good stereo amplifier (The subwoofer made sense only when I used it for couple of movie immediately when I got the avr; never really liked it for music).

Do you think I should go ahead and get a stereo integrated amp ? Will the quality of the sound improve if I move on to a stereo amp for a budget of <= 35k ? or should I keep the avr for music ? Sorry for such silly questions, I am a bit confused about switching the electonics, but no confusion that I just need music and not movies through it.

How old is your 671 ? and How muct you expecting for that ? ;-)

Hey YPS, my brother bought it from some shop near his work place on Dec 2011. I did not pay for it as it was a present, I am not sure how much should I ask. What would be a fair price for it ?

well for you what ever maximum you can get :-D

maybe spirovious can help in this ;-) Current price is smwhere 35k and also is this discontinued now.........

True that! But instead of maximum for me, it should be fair for both parties. Are you looking for an avr ? If so may you tell me a price that is good for you, lets see if that brightens up my fantasies on a stereo amp :D (I think I still don't have access to post in classifieds.)

Best way is ask your Brother OR find the shop from where he got it.You can get actual price & decide a decent price where both of you are benefited.:)

I brought 671 on 22nd May 2012 :-D

Maybe I can check with my frndz if someone is looking for that.....

Oh cool. What speakers you use with it ? How do you like it. I really like the internet radio in it :) so many stations and so many genres.
And yes please, thanks.. I think I better sell the avr and sub and get a good stereo integrated amp.

Last edited:
Join WhatsApp group to get HiFiMART.com Offers & Deals delivered to your smartphone!
Back