A stingy 7.2.4 HT set-up in a living room !!

elangoas

I thought to share this which may help enthusiasts on a limited budget.. As the title goes, yes it is a stingy 7.2.4 HT set-up..

I built this set-up for my younger brother, though he had more budget at times, i stopped him from over spending..

AVR - The Denon x 2200 that he had earlier conked off in abt a years time.. It was time to pick an AVR with 11.2 pre-outs, picked Onkyo TX-RZ 730, a 9.2 AVR with 11.2 pre-outs thru OLX deal.. 58K was an awesome deal for brand new AVR and was the cheapest price when i got this for him in Apr 2019.

cAX0RCe.jpg

mI7gx4r.jpg

a93gruZ.jpg

Room size

22 ft (L) x 11 ft (W) x 10 ft (H)

Power amplifiers

Since the Onkyo AVR TX-RZ 730 had 11.2 pre-outs, idea was to use it as pre-amp only and use external amplification as much as possible.. Sure, i could have used 9 channels of internal amplification from the AVR and bought an additional 2 channel power amp.. But i didn't want to do that.. Instead decided to get 11 channels of external amplification, a.k.a used route.. So started looking or used components on OLX..

Rotel 5 channel amplifier for 35K, which was in very good condition.. Capable of 100 watts per channel, all channel driven at 8 Ohms.. Planned to use it for L-C-R and Top front Left & Right, as these were the speakers that were farther away from listening position..

ihXIwqH.jpg

sLdgqcB.jpg

Next goal was to add 6 more channels of external amplification.. There were lot of old stereo amplifiers aval on OLX, which had the provision to be used as power amplifier.. (By removing Pre-out & Main-in jumpers behind the amplifiers) So shortlisted, chased, physically checked the amps and picked few of them..

Nakamichi AV-1 for 6K.. A stereo receiver with no remote.. Not a concern, as it would act only as power amp.. Even if there was a remote, it was of no use to me.. Capable of 100 watts at 8 ohms, both channels driven..

ZqkXsIT.jpg

gOMIgZi.jpg

Sherwood AV 6030R for 5K - Same as above, so wasn't concerned abt remote functionality.. This too was capable of 100 watts, 2 channels driven at 8 ohms..

nU7epP5.jpg

eNEiHVK.jpg

An other, Nakamichi AV-1 for 9K.. This time a FM helped me to ship this from an other location.. Many thanks to him @sriram_shol .

Io0100c.jpg

6O7K1D5.jpg

Happy to have completed 11 channels of external amplification for as little as 55K.. So for approx 115K, he was done with 9.2 AVR and 11 channels of external amplification.. Basically using the AVR as pre-amplifier only..

Speakers - Some of them bought at different times

The Taga Harmony TAV OW60 LCRS for L-C-R

SF4XWbD.jpg

The Taga Harmony platinum 90 SL, picked from forum member doing the surround left/ right duty..

qCMArUG.jpg

The Taga Harmony Platinum One90, also picked from forum member doing the surround back left/ right duty..

jgWVmrs.jpg

For top front & rear pair, he had Sonodyne Avant LCR 250 speakers that he had with him when he got it for more than 5 yrs back..

DIY subwoofers

I had an 2 channel power amplifier from Sonodyne being unused, so thought to build DIY sealed subs.. This was built before he got the 11.2 capable AVR..

ZhE8SQb.jpg

yDjjvA0.jpg

Projector - 33K

I picked an LG PF 1500-FHD LED projector, from US, thru one of my friend.. Picked it for approx 35K, thru an amzon.com openbox warehouse deal

PTEBc2A.jpg

DIY Acoustic Transparent screen - Approx 5K

He had a vinyl screen earlier.. But, very recently moved to DIY AT Screen.. Approx cost to build was 5K all inclusive for 165 inch diagonal screen..

I7zECNm.jpg

DdC4rwk.jpg

Dark room (Half bat cave)

With projection, screen, AVR amplifiers and subwoofers in place, next was to improve the viewing experience.. So painted half of the living room black..

E8bwtcq.jpg

Final step would be acoustics, which we are planning sooner..

Very happy to have helped him complete his 7.2.4 set-up with 11 channels of external amplification, projector, DIY subwoofer, DIY screen at a much lesser budget..

Last edited:
Eager to see how the amps are stacked up.

Sure.. Will share a picture of the set-up.. It is stacked to a DIY rack..

jdHGdNu.jpg

What was the reason to not use amplification capability of the Onkyo ?

Nothing specific.. Just wanted to use it as a pre-amp only function, as couldn't afford the standalone processor..

Actually i liked the idea of using full 11 external channels of amplification.. So tried it..

Last edited:
I thought to share this which may help enthusiasts on a limited budget.. As the title goes, yes it is a stingy 7.2.4 HT set-up..

I built this set-up for my younger brother, though he had more budget at times, i stopped him from over spending..

AVR - The Denon x 2200 that he had earlier conked off in abt a years time.. It was time to pick an AVR with 11.2 pre-outs, picked Onkyo TX-RZ 730, a 9.2 AVR with 11.2 pre-outs thru OLX deal.. 58K was an awesome deal for brand new AVR and was the cheapest price when i got this for him in Apr 2019.

cAX0RCe.jpg

mI7gx4r.jpg

a93gruZ.jpg

Room size

22 ft (L) x 11 ft (W) x 10 ft (H)

Power amplifiers

Since the Onkyo AVR TX-RZ 730 had 11.2 pre-outs, idea was to use it as pre-amp only and use external amplification as much as possible.. Sure, i could have used 9 channels of internal amplification from the AVR and bought an additional 2 channel power amp.. But i didn't want to do that.. Instead decided to get 11 channels of external amplification, a.k.a used route.. So started looking or used components on OLX..

Rotel 5 channel amplifier for 35K, which was in very good condition.. Capable of 100 watts per channel, all channel driven at 8 Ohms.. Planned to use it for L-C-R and Top front Left & Right, as these were the speakers that were farther away from listening position..

ihXIwqH.jpg

sLdgqcB.jpg

Next goal was to add 6 more channels of external amplification.. There were lot of old stereo amplifiers aval on OLX, which had the provision to be used as power amplifier.. (By removing Pre-out & Main-in jumpers behind the amplifiers) So shortlisted, chased, physically checked the amps and picked few of them..

Nakamichi AV-1 for 6K.. A stereo receiver with no remote.. Not a concern, as it would act only as power amp.. Even if there was a remote, it was of no use to me.. Capable of 100 watts at 8 ohms, both channels driven..

ZqkXsIT.jpg

gOMIgZi.jpg

Sherwood AV 6030R for 5K - Same as above, so wasn't concerned abt remote functionality.. This too was capable of 100 watts, 2 channels driven at 8 ohms..

nU7epP5.jpg

eNEiHVK.jpg

An other, Nakamichi AV-1 for 9K.. This time a FM helped me to ship this from an other location.. Many thanks to him @sriram_shol .

Io0100c.jpg

6O7K1D5.jpg

Happy to have completed 11 channels of external amplification for as little as 55K.. So for approx 115K, he was done with 9.2 AVR and 11 channels of external amplification.. Basically using the AVR as pre-amplifier only..

Speakers - Some of them bought at different times

The Taga Harmony TAV OW60 LCRS for L-C-R

SF4XWbD.jpg

The Taga Harmony platinum 90 SL, picked from forum member doing the surround left/ right duty..

qCMArUG.jpg

The Taga Harmony Platinum One90, also picked from forum member doing the surround back left/ right duty..

jgWVmrs.jpg

For top front & rear pair, he had Sonodyne Avant LCR 250 speakers that he had with him when he got it for more than 5 yrs back..

DIY subwoofers

I had an 2 channel power amplifier from Sonodyne being unused, so thought to build DIY sealed subs.. This was built before he got the 11.2 capable AVR..

ZhE8SQb.jpg

yDjjvA0.jpg

Projector - 33K

I picked an LG PF 1500-FHD LED projector, from US, thru one of my friend.. Picked it for approx 35K, thru an amzon.com openbox warehouse deal

PTEBc2A.jpg

DIY Acoustic Transparent screen - Approx 5K

He had a vinyl screen earlier.. But, very recently moved to DIY AT Screen.. Approx cost to build was 5K all inclusive for 165 inch diagonal screen..

I7zECNm.jpg

DdC4rwk.jpg

Dark room (Half bat cave)

With projection, screen, AVR amplifiers and subwoofers in place, next was to improve the viewing experience.. So painted half of the living room black..

E8bwtcq.jpg

Final step would be acoustics, which we are planning sooner..

Very happy to have helped him complete his 7.2.4 set-up with 11 channels of external amplification, projector, DIY subwoofer, DIY screen at a much lesser budget..
This is amazing Elangos. You can blindly start professional consulting. Very nicely done.

What was the reason to not use amplification capability of the Onkyo ?

Good point.. Actually this didn't flash me when i replied you earlier..

So, we all are aware that even the best AVR have the capability of 100 watts of continuous power when two channels are driven.. If one were to use all 9 channels of amplification, then the AVR would produce 40 watts (or) slightly more when all channels are driven simultaneously..

Now, whether or not all channels would be driven simultaneously, each channels external amplification is capable of pumping 100 watts of continuous power whenever the need arises.. So this was the real reason to go for all external amplification..

How is onkyo rz730? I am planning to buy rz740 from Singapore

Good.. I like it..

Very thoughtful and pocket friendly and well planned and a lucky younger brother and a good start for a long and big dream. Cheers

Thanks for the kind words.. Yes, planning to make HT experience better, by doing much needed acoustics in the room..

There is abt 11 inch space behind the AT screen.. Planned, to erect a full rock wool front wall, absorption in-between L-C-R as first step..

Good point.. Actually this didn't flash me when i replied you earlier..

So, we all are aware that even the best AVR have the capability of 100 watts of continuous power when two channels are driven.. If one were to use all 9 channels of amplification, then the AVR would produce 40 watts (or) slightly more when all channels are driven simultaneously..

Now, whether or not all channels would be driven simultaneously, each channels external amplification is capable of pumping 100 watts of continuous power whenever the need arises.. So this was the real reason to go for all external amplification..
Couldnt you have used external amp for only LCR and rest through the AVR

Couldnt you have used external amp for only LCR and rest through the AVR

Could have restricted external amp for L-C-R.. But, the additional cost that i spent wasn't too much.. Also all channels driven specs flashed me often, so tried all external amplification..

they luk great and premium Elango,how do they sound for LCR.

There is no absorption in the room yet, soon to be added.. But, it does sound good.. Post absorption, it should get even better..

are these designed for behind the screen placement or only on wall,in the open.

These are on-wall speakers, but i chose them specifically for it has shallow depth and fits the space nicely behind the screen..

Very good setup Elango with quality components at a reasonable budget. I am sure this would be a good reference for people on a budget Pls let us know how it sounds after you set it up.
Your brother is indeed lucky to have you for guidance.

Check out our special offers on Stereo Package & Bundles for all budget types.
Back