A taste of the future: Analog sounding Digital amplifiers

corElement

This interesting amplifier apparently won "The absolute sound's amplifier of the year"

NuForce DDA-100

It's a $549 1 kg heavy 75W x 2 (4 Ohm) class D amplifier that seems to have done away with the overly high levels of push pull distortion class D amp's are notoriously criticized for.

Normally the data to a loudspeaker is converted to a small analogue signal by the DAC then being switched, amplified via a preamp and finally stepped up to the voltage necessary to drive loudspeakers by a power amplifier.

The nuforce however throws away all those stages.

It has a front end that will take and switch only between digital inputs then performs the digital to analogue conversion at the final stage by pulse width modulation instead of pulse code modulation.

The entire topology is Direct Digital similar to NAD's Master 51 series DAC but only it's not just a dac, it's a full integrated amp where the signal stays purely in it's original state from input until the final output stage. The two power ICs which enable the direct-digital scheme are from Germany's Infineon in Munich and their SAB2403ENT V2.1 chips. Says the company, "...these are high-performance energy-efficient digital and analog input high dynamic range open-loop class-D speaker amplifiers. Phase-neutral 512TAP FIR digital filter & signal processing features are included for optimizing sound. The digital input interfacing S/PDIF for long wires, optical as well as the IS chip-to-chip interface take the incoming PCM audio data up to 192kHz via a jitter-removing self-adopting variable sample rate converter to the 24-bit digital audio processing chain. After the sound and volume control stage the monolithic integrated output power stages work with supply voltages from 10V to 28V and with dynamic peak currents up to 8A per channel."

The result according to many websites is a very high resolution dark analog sound at a throw away price that challenges many amps upto $2500 if you have a speaker that can take advantage of it as it's only drawback being it's limited power.

I know of a person driving his Kef Ls50 with it and says it's able to drive it but would not suggest pairing it to something beyond the kef ls50's requirements.

If they could find a way to double the limited power of 75watts and research more with it's topology, I think it could pave the way for future.

And all this in just 1kg and an efficiency of 90% for $549...the weight and dimensions itself must dramatically lower the amp to enclosure expense.

Last edited:
Is this the same as a power dac? I think ranjeet had posted about another model but it too only was about 50 watts per channel. I think it was a wadia.

Looks and feels like BLACK DIAMOND, Perfect finish and clean design,Should sound fair to won the award:)

Even if it cost low and build well, Until some dealers imports some stuffs to India everything is DAYDREAM for us:(,

But in my opinion,Some dealers can import few award winning Good AV and can market it.
What i feel is its easy to sell even a "DOG SHIT" if some FILM STARS OR CRICKET START
appear in those commercial in INDIA:)

So why not these "BLACK DIAMOND" related AV stuffs could be imported in minimal and be sold with a big TAG "World's best award winning amp for the year at your home's" Grab it- carry free connectors -HURRY **Limited stock.

Dealers would have some concession or advantage in import the AV components than its done individually ,which can give some VFM on the purchase

Here's another digital amp that's making waves: TBI Audio Systems - Products

They call it class BD.

The usual caveat about low power output applies (as does the caveat about only one line level input and front panel 3.5mm input - which could be a deal breaker for some), but if one can get past those, it seems to be a very good amp.

Dealers would have some concession or advantage in import the AV components than its done individually ,which can give some VFM on the purchase

I think it is other way round - normally commercial imports attracts more duty than individual - FM - your expert opinion please

Here's another digital amp that's making waves: TBI Audio Systems - Products

They call it class BD.

The usual caveat about low power output applies (as does the caveat about only one line level input and front panel 3.5mm input - which could be a deal breaker for some), but if one can get past those, it seems to be a very good amp.

Hmm, it seems a lot more traditional than the nuforce and wadia, consdering those stay digital until the binding post stage while the TBI takes in only analog input and needs a separate dac and IC. The nuforce out of the 3 is probably the purest non-parasitic device from what I can make out.

75 watts @ 4 ohms is not that bad......I think it is enough power for most of the speakers ..... Does anyone know if A2V in Mumbai have it for demo or plan to have it?

75 watts @ 4 ohms is not that bad......I think it is enough power for most of the speakers ..... Does anyone know if A2V in Mumbai have it for demo or plan to have it?

Indeed so. It should offer a taste of high end at a budget price, no dac, interconnects or preamp, not to mention low transportation costs. I wish someone on the forum had one.

I think the new NAD 390 DD also falls in same category.
Though its $2500 but it offers many more input options and 150 wpc @ 8 Ohms.

But i am not sure if it keeps the signal pure till the last moment like the NuForce.

Here is the review by Robert Harley at TAS

NAD C 390DD Direct Digital Integrated Amplifier (TAS 224) | The Absolute Sound

I think this is a big step in simplicity of the whole audio setup as well. After all many people have started using a digital source.

Last edited:
I think the new NAD 390 DD also falls in same category.
Though its $2500 but it offers many more input options and 150 wpc @ 8 Ohms.

But i am not sure if it keeps the signal pure till the last moment like the NuForce.

Here is the review by Robert Harley at TAS

NAD C 390DD Direct Digital Integrated Amplifier (TAS 224) | The Absolute Sound

I think this is a big step in simplicity of the whole audio setup as well. After all many people have started using a digital source.

img.php

Specifications
Total Width 435mm Total Depth 388mm
DIGITAL INPUT (COAXIAL, OPTICAL) C 390DD
Input Impedance 75 ohms (coaxial)
110 ohms (AES/EBU)
Sample Rate 32kHz to 192kHz
Frequency Response 0.5dB (ref. 20Hz-96kHz @ 192kHz)
Channel Separation >90dB (ref. 10kHz, 4 ohm, 1/3 rated power)
OVERALL SPECIFICATIONS
Continuous Output Power (ref. 20Hz - 20kHz, rated THD) 8 ohm
4 ohm
?150W
?150W
Rated Distortion (THD, with AES17 and AP passive 20kHz LP filters) <0.005% (ref. 20Hz - 20kHz, 500mW - rated power)
Clipping Power >165W (ref. 1kHz, 8 ohm, 0.1% THD)
IHF Dynamic Power 8 ohm
4 ohm
160W
350W
Maximum Output Current >18A
Signal / Noise Ratio >95dB (A-weighted, ref. 1W)
>124dB (A-weighted, ref. 250W)
Damping Factor >800 (ref. 20Hz - 200Hz)
GENERAL
Idle Power 40W
Standby Power <0.5W
Unit Dimensions (WxHxD) - Gross* 435 x 132 x 388mm
17 1/8 x 5 1/4 x 15 5/16 inches**
Net Weight 7.7kg (16.94lb)
Shipping Weight 9.78kg (21.5lb)

Holy cow! That's a giant killer of the 2500$-6000$ USD Price bracket! Just like the wadia and nuforce is the giant killer of the sub 2500 price bracket!

A 35-bit architecture and a 108MHz master clock, The reviewer said he's replaced his 30000$ setup of dac interconnects pre and power with just that $2500 thing! That's mind boggling.

Last edited:
Hopefully somebody here will buy it and then we can really get a measure of what it can do.

what type of speakers under 2-2.5L do you think would be a good match?
warm sounding?
i believe as the review says bass and dynamics are great. So would it have to be a revealing setup?
Just asking for my knowledge.

I hope we can audition it in India soon.

Hopefully somebody here will buy it and then we can really get a measure of what it can do.

what type of speakers under 2-2.5L do you think would be a good match?
warm sounding?
i believe as the review says bass and dynamics are great. So would it have to be a revealing setup?
Just asking for my knowledge.

I hope we can audition it in India soon.

From what I'm making out from the reviews of all 3 wadia, nuforce and nad, each one of them are said to have a dark neutral sound which does not sound anything like traditional solid state amplifiers. Which is very good news for the audiophile world. It should work well with all neutral and bright speakers imo. Warm speakers will most likely not be able to take advantage of it. This depends on the speaker though ofcourse. I would not expect romantic sound out of it though, for example a 2a3 SET sound is very lush and romantic even counting in all the other components, this on the other hand I imagine would sound as true to the source as possible which many may not prefer.

These direct digital topology amps all seem to do digital to analog at the output stage itself.

I can definitely see a NAD 390DD in my future when I have the money. 360watts dynamic in 4ohms at 91% efficiency is no joke. And it's just 7kg/s.

Literally takes traditional amplifier theory and throws it out the window though a minimalistic pure digital domain approach. Very impressive.

Last edited:
I have been using a Hypex UcD (Universal Class D) 5 channel amp for a while now and love it. Their latest NCore amp is supposed to be outstanding. Hypes uses very compact amp modules.

Back