A/V receiver and blu ray player

aaryan.varun

i am have gone nuts in past few days.
i have a big problem.
i have ordered yamaha yht-196 with samsung bdf-5500 blu ray player
i am in a great dillema now, i did not give enough of consideration to the specs of audio standards in the beginning and now facing this situation,
the yht decodes only dolby digital and DTS and the blu ray player only decodes
Dolby Digital
Dolby Digital Plus / TrueHD
DTS-HD Bitstream Output

where as i wanted the following standards to be decoded by the whole system:

Dolby Digital
Dolby Digital Plus / TrueHD
DTS Surround
DTS-HD Master Audio Decoding
DTS-HD High Resolution Audio Decoding
DTS-HD Bitstream Output

but my above combined system wont give me these audio standards which means i would not get the superior audio from the HT.
now my query is whether i should get a different HT(replaced with onkyo s-3400) or should i change my blu ray player and let it do all the decoding?
i.e. all the decoding to be on-board, in terms of the blu ray player.

please please help me :sad:

First of all you should note that the difference between DTS and DTS HD or DD and DD TruHD is hardly noticeable. You will need a capable speaker system to distinguish between normal and hd audio. The player will downconvert DTS HD to DTS and Dolby TruHD to DD so that is not a problem.

If the HT is not delivered yet hen cancel the order and buy Onkyo 3500 or Yamaha 298 or 299.

thanks for the reply.
though i have finalised the HT and going with 196 (within my budget)
I am changing the BP and getting samsung BD-F6500.
it'll decode all the standards i desire. I dont know whether it would be noticeable or not ,but just for heck of having the superior sound im going for it.
according to you if i stick to the current package(196+bdf-5500) i.e. keeping in mind all the standards it cant decode, what all differences will it going to make?

in short:
compare yht196+ bdf5500 with yht-196+bdf6500(decoding all DD and DTS)

pardon my ignorance. how the decoded sound by player go to the receiver?- through OPTICAL or HDMI ?

btw, I have similar problem- I have logitech z906 multimedia speaker system which dont have HDMI input and hence cant decode HD audio. MY BDP is sony 380 which output DD/DTS by optical. And downmix only to PCM stereo. not DTS HD to DTS and Dolby TruHD to Dolby Digital.

baiju i wanted to ask a question..
i downloaded alot of movies from torrents..many of them were 3D
not my question is..when i checked the properties of those files it stated that the audio was a 2 channel stereo.
so if i play that file on my samsung blu ray player connected to my AV receiver, will it give me a surround sound effect in my HT system??

First and foremost FYI Talking about illegal things is not allowed in this forum, this is a policy (just telling).

And you can't get the surround sound effect if it is 2 channel stereo. It may sound same in all speakers.

baiju i wanted to ask a question..
i downloaded alot of movies from torrents..many of them were 3D
not my question is..when i checked the properties of those files it stated that the audio was a 2 channel stereo.
so if i play that file on my samsung blu ray player connected to my AV receiver, will it give me a surround sound effect in my HT system??

hey prepress if i play a 2 channel stereo from my player does that mean only 2 speakers R and L will play ? and rest wont get the sound?

You can have them play your sound. But they will not be sepearted like DTS/DD. You will get same sound from all speakers.

You can try this option. You can select the output mode to DD which will make Stereo as virtual DD/DTS.

When you play a 2 channel movie, the avr will use virtual surround sound modes like Dolby Prologic or DTS Neo so that you will get sound through all the speakers. But this is not true surround sound, for which you need movies with 5.1 channel audio.

Yes, you will get sound from fronts if played in stereo mode, but in 5.1 mode you will get same sound from all speakers.
hey prepress if i play a 2 channel stereo from my player does that mean only 2 speakers R and L will play ? and rest wont get the sound?

thanks prepress

im buying the blu ray player samsung bdf-6500

just one question. My blu ray player says Audio Decoding Output to be a 7.1 ch, does that mean 2.1 conversion to 5.1/7.1 on the fly?
if i play a source of 2 channel stereo audio in my blu ray player then will i be able to get 5.1 surround effect in my HT?

according to the specs it says:

Audio Decoding Output
Dolby Decoding Channel 7.1Ch
DTS Decoding Channel 7.1Ch

am i correct or does this mean something else?

No. For converting stereo to 5.1 sound, you will need to tell the AVR to do that. The usual setting on the AVR to do this would be Dolby ProLogic II or DTS:Neo.

Dolby decoding on the blu-ray player just means that the Dolby track on the blu-ray will be decoded and sent as 5.1 LPCM through HDMI to the AVR.

For excellent sound that won't break the bank, the 5 Star Award Winning Wharfedale Diamond 12.1 Bookshelf Speakers is the one to consider!
Back