A/V Receiver around 25k or HTiB around 50k

venom

Guys...

Went on a shopping spree this year.. got the following
1. Sony BDP-S570 BRP
2. Optoma HD20
3. XBOX 360 S with Kinect
4. Logitech Harmony One

Now.. the thing is.. i was going to upgrade my audio system next year.. but i realise that the LG Chocolate i had doesn't have an optical out.. So i'm going to have to get an A/V receiver around 25k or a full HTiB around 50k..

Please suggest the best setups in the price..

if HTiB does the amp match with the speakers?

and if amp.. Does it have DTS HD and other latest technologies?

I'd prefer if it was 3D ready even though i don't have a 3D projector..

NOTE: This will be a one-off thing... there will be NO FUTURE UPGRADES any time soon(read 5-6 years). That is if i get the HTiB.. if i get the amp only I'll buy the speakers next year and that will be it..

Details of location and preference:
1. Size of room: 750sq ft out of which only 200 is the gaming/movie area.. Where everything will go down... also.. there are floor to ceiling frnech doors right next to the usage area that lead out to another open hall..

2. Usage: 50% TV/Movies 25% gaming 25%music

3. I like Loud bass so u might not call me a purist.. but i like my bass tight and not boomy... so please suggest accordingly..

Please help me out!!

Last edited:
Guys...

Went on a shopping spree this year.. got the following
1. Sony BDP-S570 BRP
2. Optoma HD20
3. XBOX 360 S with Kinect
4. Logitech Harmony One

Now.. the thing is.. i was going to upgrade my audio system next year.. but i realise that the LG Chocolate i had doesn't have an optical out.. So i'm going to have to get an A/V receiver around 25k or a full HTiB around 50k..

Please suggest the best setups in the price..

if HTiB does the amp match with the speakers?

and if amp.. Does it have DTS HD and other latest technologies?

I'd prefer if it was 3D ready even though i don't have a 3D projector..

NOTE: This will be a one-off thing... there will be NO FUTURE UPGRADES any time soon(read 5-6 years). That is if i get the HTiB.. if i get the amp only I'll buy the speakers next year and that will be it..

Details of location and preference:
1. Size of room: 750sq ft out of which only 200 is the gaming/movie area.. Where everything will go down... also.. there are floor to ceiling frnech doors right next to the usage area that lead out to another open hall..

2. Usage: 50% TV/Movies 25% gaming 25%music

3. I like Loud bass so u might not call me a purist.. but i like my bass tight and not boomy... so please suggest accordingly..

Please help me out!!

If one time cost of 50K for a HTIB, then ONKYO is the way to go.. Take a look @ their HTS -5300 Model. Should suffice most of your needs. They had good service backup across India which other don't have. Do an audition and then decide....

If one time cost of 50K for a HTIB, then ONKYO is the way to go.. Take a look @ their HTS -5300 Model. Should suffice most of your needs. They had good service backup across India which other don't have. Do an audition and then decide....

Hmmm... That was one of my considerations.. Also.. How does it compare to the JBL Cinestyle 9, which consists of an HK AVR142 and HK HKTS 9 speakers??

This is available for 39,900 official.. could get discount.. also what is the current market price for the HT-S5300?

I've read on this forum that the Sony DDW5500 is not that great but it sounded pretty ok in the showroom.. What do you think?

Hmmm... That was one of my considerations.. Also.. How does it compare to the JBL Cinestyle 9, which consists of an HK AVR142 and HK HKTS 9 speakers??

This is available for 39,900 official.. could get discount.. also what is the current market price for the HT-S5300?

I've read on this forum that the Sony DDW5500 is not that great but it sounded pretty ok in the showroom.. What do you think?

Hi,
I currently own a HK AVR 133 plus JBL speakers. I really like the feel of sound from it. I dont know why but people in forum are kinda against HK for some reasons or at least not interested..

Going thorugh your reqirements i guess the HK u have mentioned would not support DOLBY True HD or DTS HD MA... where as the Onkyo HT S5300 would decode those.. Onkyo S 5300 would cost around 50k.

Nobody suggests Sony as well in this forum..

Anyways its all my opinion.. U can very well have yours..

Thanks
Nag

Hi,
I currently own a HK AVR 133 plus JBL speakers. I really like the feel of sound from it. I dont know why but people in forum are kinda against HK for some reasons or at least not interested..

Going thorugh your reqirements i guess the HK u have mentioned would not support DOLBY True HD or DTS HD MA... where as the Onkyo HT S5300 would decode those.. Onkyo S 5300 would cost around 50k.

Nobody suggests Sony as well in this forum..

Anyways its all my opinion.. U can very well have yours..

Thanks
Nag

Hmmm.. I guess i'll check it out in atria when i go to bombay next..

Also.. What you guys think of the Definitive Technology ProCinema 600? It's quoted in AV MAX at 34,100.. Does anyone know the current street price? Not gray as i want warranty.. Also.. Where can i audition this system?

Which AVR would go well with these speakers? Assuming the budget can be stretched to 60k?

Guys.. Help me out here.. Need to decide and get it up and running by the 30th!!

After rethinking i found that my usage will probably be a bit different.. I guess it'll be 40% gaming, 15% hd dth, 35% movies via bluray, 10% music..

I don't like bright speakers.. To give you an idea, if any of you is into car audio.. I don't like the jbl 947s.. Although i love my old 938s..

After rethinking i found that my usage will probably be a bit different.. I guess it'll be 40% gaming, 15% hd dth, 35% movies via bluray, 10% music..

I don't like bright speakers.. To give you an idea, if any of you is into car audio.. I don't like the jbl 947s.. Although i love my old 938s..

Try some focal brands ;)

Try some focal brands ;)

Will they fit my budget?

Also.. Since i'm going to use mostly for gaming and movies.. Not much of music.. Should i finalise an onkyo avr? If so which one?

And what about sonodyne speakers? Can i get a 5.1 in my budget or if i stretch by 10k? Are they good?

I'm super confused so please help me out!

Also.. Is the ht-sk728 paired with a 508 better sounding than the onkyo 5300? Coz 7.1 isn't possible in room.. As i'm using part of my hall for the ht setup.. And my hall's actual size is about 60 sq feet with double height ceiling.. I'm using 250 sq feet of this area for my ht setup..

Which other 5.1 plus avr can i consider in the 60k bracket?

Too many questions and that too very unorganised, i know.. And i'm sorry for that.. But i have my exams for the next 4 days.. And i'll not be available.. But on the 22nd i'm heading out to bombay to audition these systems..

Guys.. Can you tell me where i can audition sonodyne, if it's good.. Onkyo 5300 or the onkyo avr + 728.. And jbl harman systems.. I'll be there for only 2 days and i have to audition and buy them then only.. So please help me out..

Any other suggestions are also most welcome.. Although i'd prefer it if you could tell me where i could audition them as well.. As well as contact details..

Thanks in advance..

Well guys.. went to Mumbai today to The Shop..

Auditioned the onkyo 5300, the onkyo 5.1, jamo c606, and Wharfedale obsidian..

Tried The Dark Knight Blu-ray tunnel scene.. Transformers DVD 2nd chapter, when they
get attacked.. And the pirates 3 Blu-ray last fight..

Found the onkyo 308 + SKS728 too bassy with not much detail in the sound..
The jamos were exactly the opposite.. Too much treble.. Made my head
hurt!! Detail was pretty good.. But listening for more the 30 mins
will give headaches..

Now, these are out of running..

The main contenders were the onkyo 5300 and the wharfedales..

Tried the onkyo first.. Was very good.. If a little harsh.. Nowhere
near as harsh as the jamo, but a little harsh.. Sound was pretty
detailed.. The surrounds were nice.. Overall 4.5..

Well.. The last one is the wharfedale Obsidian 600 Cinema.. It was a very nice.. This system replaces a dedicated woofer with 2 8-inch woofers (7.8 to be precise) woofers built in the front floorstanders.. I loved it.. Honestly, i won't lie.. I thought i wouldn't like it, since Wharfedales are known to have
slightly warmer sound.. But after listening it to it for 20-30 mins..
I realized that it actually felt better than the others for long
listening.. Felt more relaxed than when i spent that long with the
other systems.. I didn't feel the absence of a dedicated woofer..
Produced amazing bass for floorstanders..

I was impressed with this system, however i didn't like with the denon amp it was paired with.. the 1911.. it just didn't feel that good for Movies.. at least to my ears... and i think i prefer the onkyo UI.. the Denon onscreen UI looked like it hasn't been changed since the '80s!! :p

Also.. The guy there, Jignesh, told me something really shocking.. He said that Onkyo has stopped producing the 508 and now will continue with only the 308 and 608 and will only bring out the 509 when the new line is launched!!!
:sad::sad: :eek::eek:

Can anyone confirm this? Gurus..

Also.. He said that Denon amps are known to produce more in the higher frequencies than Onkyos and that Onkyo amps are milder.. :confused:

Can anyone enlighten me on this??

Thanks..

I'll be giving a review of my entire HT setup as soon as everything is done..​

OK guys... went ahead and bought the Onkyo HT-S5300. Got it for 52k since he wasn't willing to give any discount even after bargaining. Also got 35 mtrs of Audioquest 16 gauge speaker wire.

I am yet to set up surround sound but connecting the system as 5.1 and keepiong all the speakers around the front i was able to conclude that this is indeed a WICKED system!!

I love the aggression. However i am unable to get most of the settings activated on the receiver since i didn't do Audyssey.

Guys.. where can i get and Audyssey mic? I really need it coz i need to set the rear surrounds as front high speakers..

Please help me out one last time.. I will be giving a review after New Year's as my brother will come from the US with the projector then. Will test everything out and give a review then..

I know I am bumping an old thread but I really wanted to ask this to the OP.

Buddy how much was the Wharf package with the AVR. And also why didn't you go for it even after liking it.

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Red Mahogany finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back