A year with the Clearaudio Concerto & The Clearaudio Ambient

malvai

Banned
Banned
Its been a year since I bought my Clearaudio Concerto MC cartridge. And what a year its been! A year that saw me move cities, break the tip of the very same cartridge and then a couple of months of wait before I got it back after a very satisfactory re-tip from Soundsmith (Peter Lederman).

But, wait, I am getting ahead of myself! Let me begin at the beginning....

When I first decided to upgrade from the two tables that I had then - Technics SL 1300 & Project 2 Xperience, I really looked at a lot of options: Project RPM 9 (the RPM 10 wasn't launched then), the VPI tables and the Technics SL 1210 mk2.

But, the Clearaudio Ambient came out a clear winner! It not only looked like display item from MOMA, but it had some serious design and materials science going for it - the Panzerhols plinth (which a lot of reviewers are beginning to realise is actually the best material for resonance damping).

The tonearm is of brilliant quality - Clearaudio Satisfy Carbon Fiber.

The motor is a specially designed one and features the same technology as the top of the line Clearaudio tables - so constant, steady speed built into the package without any Voodoo power purification appendages!

It also has a inverted Ceramic Magnetic Bearing.... the platter rotates for over 15 minutes after a simple push (no exaggeration here, i'm serious!)

Now, getting the above package broke my bank and that left me with a budget for a very modest costing cartridge... so I bought the Clearaudio Aurum Classic MM cart... at under $400 it is a very, very amazing cartridge and worth every cent.

Later in the year when I could save up and buy a better cart, I did a lot of research online to figure out sound signature of various cartridges in the under $3000 range...

I was predisposed towards the Ortofon cartridges (the Winfield in particular though it was quite a bit over my budget). So why was i positively predisposed to the Ortofon range? Well, I had used the Rondo Red on my Project 2Xperience and LOVED the sound!

Then, as I researched for more options, I realised that most of the Shelter, Decca, Koetsu cartridges would not be a good match for my arm.

The Ortofon's would be a good match, the Benz carts would be a super match as well and so would the Clearaudio range...

On reading further, I realised that the Benz cartridges have a sound that I have never aimed for - very warm and coloured.

The Ortofon Rondo Red, I found to be very neutral and natural. With just a slight hint of warmth. Very good sound.

The Clearaudio cartriges were reportedly neutral, on the cooler side of the spectrum, very detailed and extended towards both the frequency extremes.

This was something that I wanted from my cart - except for the bit about being on the cooler side of the spectrum....

So, while I contemplated the purchase, an acquaintance bought a Clearaudio Stradivari ( it is one up in the range from the Concerto). Due to this I could actually listen to a Clearaudio top of the line MC cart!

And boy, did it blow me over! But, alas, the Stradivari was $2000 over my budget... On speaking to a couple of international dealers I figured that the Concerto is about 95% as good as the Stradivari! And would be over budget by about $1000 if i factor in the shipping + duty!

This was enough to make me pull the trigger on it!

In comes the Concerto

The first few days after set up, I decided not to analyse the new sound... as it was still burning in... I could hear a difference but I ignored the feeling to explore the difference just yet... especially since I hear the high's being a wee bit brittle and bass being off kilter...

During this time, i remember, my wife, who usually is not apprised about purchases whose price belies their size & look (for very obvious reasons), asked me pointedly - Ok then, what have you bought that has made the sound so much better???

As time went by, and the Concerto settled in, as did the Nighthawk phono, I found that the sound from my analogue set up became extremely detailed. The HF's extended without a even a hint of brittleness. The midrange beautiful and lush accompanied by a pretty amazing LF response - who says CD's go deeper!

Anyhow... for many months, it was musical bliss and then I had to move cities.... once the TT arrived here, I found that the tip was broken... (should have removed it and carried it with me.... foolish, foolish me...)

With trouble in paradise, I looked around for a good re-tipping option and found three highly recommended ones: 1. Cartridgeman (UK) 2. VDH 3. Soundsmith (USA)

On talking to a lot of my vinylhead friends on another forum, it became pretty clear that Soundsmith, despite their 12 week waiting period is the best option. The retipping option that best suited me was the top end one costing $350.

So, off the cart went to Peter (soundsmith) and returned in about 14 weeks... But, to my chagrin, it would just not track! It would simply slide towards the centre!

One panicky email and a day later, Soundsmith asks me to send them back the Cartrige for a rework - no questions, blame and finger pointing (as is wont with the customer support of set ups here!).

2 weeks later I get back the cartridge! (that is, the Saturday before last!)

So, happily, the next day (sunday) I go about taking off the Clearaudio Aurum Classic Cart, resetting the weight, azmuth etc only to find that the Acoustech Stylus gauge malfunctioning in the middle of the set up!

Basically, no vinyl playback until I get a new stylus gauge... now no one I know in Delhi has a stylus gauge... a quick scan on ebay showed me that many stylus guages that look like the Acoustech are available... it seems that ALL (including the Acoustech) are made in China...

So, i thought it prudent to avoid all! and instead went in for a no name gauge that is not only 5 times cheaper, smaller and sleeker but also more rugged.

This finally showed up on my door 2 days ago and finally I was able to set up my Concerto yesterday!

Initial Listening Impressions

The re-tipped Concerto sounds just as good as it did before the retip... It sounds good fresh out of the box, though a bit less agile and very controlled... but I guess this should change after about 50 hours...

As I write this, the cart has done about 5+ hours and already the sound is (for the lack of a better word) blossoming! It is definitely sounding more open...

As the days go by, I shall report the changes. I am, once again, a happy vinylhead!

Attachments

• ca_ambientdetl1.jpg
    ca_ambientdetl1.jpg
    11.3 KB · Views: 401
Beautiful write up Manav, I have never seen a person who loves Vinyl as you do. I am always tempted to go Vinyl when ever I read your Post on TT but definitely I don't have the guts to spent so much amount for the Turntable.
All the Best.

Some more pics manav! By all reports the concerto sounds right up your alley. Hope you have a long unbroken streak of listening pleasure with it!

Regards

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nice write-up Manav. It's really disturbing when something bad happens. I'd like to know what exactly you mean by a 'broken tip'. Do you mean the cantilever fell off? Can you tell us in a bit more detail what exactly they do in the re-tipping. I know, a few people in our forum got their carts re-tipped and there are different grades for the re-tipping. Why can't the original cart manufacturer do this re-tipping? Or they do not want to do it. I have heard that the Soundsmith re-tipping makes it a better cart than the original. Is that true?

Anyway, I wish you a safe breaking in of your cart and years of enjoyment with the TT. As I am writing this (especially the phrase 'years of enjoyment'), somehow I have a strange feeling. These days, soon after a new procurement, everybody starts thinking about the next upgrade.

Regards

great Writeup Manav. you may have influenced many folks here to get ito Vinyl here !

Asit, could not agree more here. this is something to learn from you...how you have managed to optimise a setup which punches far far above what it costs. something to learn from and strive to achieve

.... These days, soon after a new procurement, everybody starts thinking about the next upgrade.

Regards

Nice write-up Manav. It's really disturbing when something bad happens. I'd like to know what exactly you mean by a 'broken tip'. Do you mean the cantilever fell off? Can you tell us in a bit more detail what exactly they do in the re-tipping. I know, a few people in our forum got their carts re-tipped and there are different grades for the re-tipping. Why can't the original cart manufacturer do this re-tipping? Or they do not want to do it. I have heard that the Soundsmith re-tipping makes it a better cart than the original. Is that true?

Anyway, I wish you a safe breaking in of your cart and years of enjoyment with the TT. As I am writing this (especially the phrase 'years of enjoyment'), somehow I have a strange feeling. These days, soon after a new procurement, everybody starts thinking about the next upgrade.

Regards

Asit, what actually happned was that I was in the other room, supervising the packing and some joker decided to pack the TT on his own and he warpped the tonearm (with the cart) tightly in layers of packing paper... the cantilever, hence, broke!

now coming to the re-tip... clearaudio does not do a re-tip, though they do offer a generous 30% off on as a exchange for their old cart for a new one... as my cart was hardly 7 months old, i doid not feel like shelling out the difference of about $1800. the soundsmith retip (the highest grade one costs about $350 plus shipping) semmed like a good option. now i do not know know yet, if the cart is even better than it was in its stock form, but this too will become clear in about 20-25 days.

I do not like to pronounce judgement in a haste! but yes, as of now, it sounds as good if not better! so, no complaints really.

and yes, I have lived with the Ambient for 2 years without the thought of an upgrade. and I do not think i will be upgrading this cart either.

I might add a table - just one. That too a vintage one like a Garrad 301 or 401, or more modern Technics Sl 1210/1200 mk2 or mk 5... let's see!

this upgarde bug is a never ending madness that thankfully I have distanced myself from. the setup is now very well tuned and it makes no sense to change even one single IC!

@Steven, hemant and others, thank you for your kind words.... and yes, i will post more pictures soon!

Nice write-up. How 'bout more pics and if possible a youtube clip of how the system sounds, with let's say, a Portishead album? :D

Manav bro, nice journey cum review. When it comes to vinyls your words is what one can count on. Delhi would be too far for listening so do post more pic. :)
It also has a inverted Ceramic Magnetic Bearing.... the platter rotates for over 15 minutes after a simple push (no exaggeration here, i'm serious!)
In my opinion few of the basic critical component requirement of a Top notch turntable.
Enjoy the music bro.
Regards

Another aspct of the TT is the arm... in my case the Satisfy CF tonearm is a superb arm for the money... very low resonance properties AND the tonearm is hardwired ie it is seamless from the cartrige connectors all the way to th single ended outputs that go into the phonostage! so no loss of signal! and it shows up!

possibly the only upgarde here, IMHO, would be to chage the single ended to XLR ( as cartriges are blanaced in design anyway!) and then get a good balanced phono!

In the meanwhile, the Cart has done 10 hours + and it is sounding gloriously more fluid! I also detect a presentation that is more airy! Liking this even more and more now!

Man - is it fine if I show up this weekend. Have some plans to explore upcoming projects at Gurgaon so will try to kill two birds in a single trip.

Man - is it fine if I show up this weekend. Have some plans to explore upcoming projects at Gurgaon so will try to kill two birds in a single trip.

not this weekend bro... am gonna be out on some personal commitments... next week is fine. maybe you and Amitnoida can hook up and come together?

not this weekend bro... am gonna be out on some personal commitments... next week is fine. maybe you and Amitnoida can hook up and come together?

sounds good. Maybe Dillihifi can join as well as he too was interested. Is that fine?

sounds good. Maybe Dillihifi can join as well as he too was interested. Is that fine?

that's cool. but do confirm by thursday evening as me and the wife get only a Sunday to fulfill our commitments. so if you guys are coming we will have to push other commitments.

@Manav,
I will be out of station this week end for audition of an used TT at Mumbai. If that gets finalised, I w'd need your help in installing it.

@Manav,
I will be out of station this week end for audition of an used TT at Mumbai. If that gets finalised, I w'd need your help in installing it.

Oh wow! amitji, is it the same TT that we spoke about? that's a nice one and when you do get it, I will be very happy to set it up for you!

@malvai,

Your TT is a beauty. Soundsmith's re-tipping is supposed to be better than original. I am sure the sound is going to open up with burn in.

Happy listening

Vasu

Asit, what actually happned was that I was in the other room, supervising the packing and some joker decided to pack the TT on his own and he warpped the tonearm (with the cart) tightly in layers of packing paper... the cantilever, hence, broke!

What is the safe way of packing to transport (from one city to another through courier) a TT when the original packing is not available?

Order your Rega Turntables & Amplifiers from HiFiMART.com - India's reputed online dealer.
Back