about turntable GA 242 electronic make philips india

bpbagchi

I have two such turntables, one of them has a strange cartridge the number is hi-fi 390, the curious point is that the stylus cannot be removed, since this was a second hand purchase I do not have the owner's manual, I could gather that this model was in circulation in india in 1980-85, Can any one advise on how to replace the stylus? I also want to know whether it is a ceramis or moving magnet cartridge or a hybrid.
I would also like to know how to get the two belts for this turntable.

Would be thankful to some guidance

BP BAGCHI

The GA 242 was available in India from the late 70s to the mid-80s, and they sold in their thousands. I think the cartridge installed in your unit is a ceramic one. In those days, many upgraded to the EEI 100 or EEI 700 which were the only MMs available in India. Later Philips turntables like the F7213 came with their own brand of MM cartridge (with removable stylus) , tho' I've forgotten the model number.

Original belts for the 242 are probably no longer available with Philips India, but you could check some of the online sites that sell replacement belts.

I remember some of the Philips turntables in the 1970s-1980s had what they called "diamond tips"...generally these were replaceable only with the corresponding spare from Philips and were quite un-popular. Remember my dad's friends complaining about it when I used to listen in to their audio-coversations on Sunday mornings. My dad of course was at the top then with his Garrard SP25 with Shure M75-6 cartridge and NAD 1020A preamp. None of the philips and HMV guys could even dream of getting close :)

The GA 242 was available in India from the late 70s to the mid-80s, and they sold in their thousands. I think the cartridge installed in your unit is a ceramic one. In those days, many upgraded to the EEI 100 or EEI 700 which were the only MMs available in India. Later Philips turntables like the F7213 came with their own brand of MM cartridge (with removable stylus) , tho' I've forgotten the model number.

Original belts for the 242 are probably no longer available with Philips India, but you could check some of the online sites that sell replacement belts.

thanks for the information the best option for me would be to change the cartridge which i am doing

U have to change cart coz its most probably ceramic. Though styluses of various type are available @ champion rubber mumbai, its mostly residual forgotten stock. U d have to check the stylus box urself. Dealer has no knowhow now. Not a very perfect scene. I got ceramic stylus for mine 3 yrs back n that was the last piece of that type then. Try uploading close up pics of your stylus n cart.
Also replied to your query in taureans tt showcase thread. Check please.

Hi,
Philips GA 242 uses a high quality low output ceramic cartridge which works on a magnetic cartridge input of an amp.As far as I recall,the complete cartridge has to be replaced.In which case you should go for a mag cartridge as the turntable can take it.
All the best.

Hello members

Being a new member, i am not so acquainted with the activities of our group.
Kindly let me know that in general.

I am being a sound engineer worked in the field for 20 yrs and have left it since last 15 yrs, i think i may contribute something real some where.

thanks to you all

yours ever

Pankaj Shah

Hi,
Philips GA 242 uses a high quality low output ceramic cartridge which works on a magnetic cartridge input of an amp.As far as I recall,the complete cartridge has to be replaced.In which case you should go for a mag cartridge as the turntable can take it.
All the best.

15/2/2015 - Sir, my second hand Philips GA 242 turntable does not have a anti-skate knob/switch. The problem I face is that the tonearm always returns/slides back to start/rest position when I start to play a record. So please help. It has a Technics P27 cartridge. Weight kept is 2gms. Increasing or decreasing the weight does not make any difference. (No matter what) The tonearm will always return to rest position as soon as playing of record is commenced. Awaiting kind revert please. Also I am unable to find service manual and users manual for it on the net. So please let me know if it is available with you. - Kedar 9892588350.

some turntable enthusiasts are so much found of Philips GA 242 turntable.what is so special about this player, is it the tonearm or something else. And they do some modifications , what modifications they do? please , would like to know about.

thanks for the information the best option for me would be to change the cartridge which i am doing

@bpbagch
Request update on the following:
1. The Cartridge you finally purchased?
2. Source of purchase?
3. Performance after replacement?
4. Any usefull inputs which could become helpful for me to get my 242 going?

Somewhere down the years, perhaps in 1984 or later, I had replaced the original Cartridge with Classic 700 of EEI. I remember te performance was not good. I tried an experiment end 80s to put the old stylus on the classic 700 as a last resort, but that too didnt work. Since then my LPs were in cold storage.

While the TT is running 33 and 45 even after 27 yrs of storage, I need to change the belt.
Anyone who can help me home on to the size and type of belt so that I could order it?

I am eager to get updates from Chennai and anyone else who reads this and can help me get back to my 33 and 45. I have a huge collection of 78 from 1920s also and a 3 speed Philips which I am unable to locate in my store. It has a drive wheel and spindle which I need to replace or fabricate. Need a stylus and get that Old bean also going.

I also nee to know where I could get PINS for an HMV gramaphone of 1921, hand wind, without a horn. Instead of playing the 400gms slates on a stereo TT, the sound fromm the grand old HMV takes me to my 60s. Alas my father isnt there anymore. He too would have enjoyed that sound as that too has not played ow for almost 65 yrs. :sad:

I do have one 242 turntable of my own and i do repair turntable and old radios too. If any one need any help from me you can mail me personally.

I do have one 242 turntable of my own and i do repair turntable and old radios too. If any one need any help from me you can mail me personally.
Dear Pappu,

I have a GA 242 that needs a belt replacement, may be other fine adjustments too. Are you in Bangalore please? If not, what is the part # for the belt and the source to get it from? Do you know anyone in Bangalore who can help me in this regard. Ramani.

Buy from India's official online dealer!
Back