Acoustic Barrier

Vivek Rao

In most of our Indian homes our music setups are in our living or sitting rooms which have a doorless access to the dining, kitchen or other areas of the home. This produces challenges of listening to music without disturbing the rest of the household. Fixing permanent partition doors ruins the planning is an absolute no no considering the WAF. I have had such a predicament and have worked out the below solution which seems to be working as of now. Objective was not to "seal" as it was that would have needed major alterations - just to have a barrier which blocked the major portion of noise.

WAF demanded - nothing permanent + should be removable and easy to clean + light should not be blocked + should not be an eyesore.

Using industrial grade plastic sheet (0.7 mm thick) and some left over teak wood pieces at home a solution was worked out.

The sheet can be rolled down the sheet with a wood + metal strip counterweight at the bottom during listening sessions or rolled up and slid into the corner L piece for stowage. The entire setup screen can be also slid out for WAF...

The plastic sheets come in much thicker rolls offering better sound blocking but it would have made the screen much more heavy.

Last edited:
Not sure if this would be preferred to curtains instead. This probably reflects sound just like glass which is unacceptable, with a plastic sound signature than glass.
But you have too many restrictions to work with, so i get your dilemma.

it is called - pattu pai ( in south india )

that will be a better option for you - the funda will be same - just replace the plastic with this thing.

Last edited by a moderator:
it is called - pattu pai ( in south india )

that will be a better option for you - the funda will be same - just replace the plastic with this thing.
better option than the plastic. But this will block any light as it is quite opaque.
He needs light to pass through.:rolleyes:

tuff

there are various designs available and over a period of time... some light does get thru..

regards

Guys thanks for the comments and the ideas.
Before I stared this build the first thing I did was to to temporarily suspend some curtains and try out. Well the acoustic barrier was not effective and my son kept badgering me that he could not study! Then I moved to a heavy floor carpet made of cotton. Like what is used in temples for people to sit on the floor. It is definitely better as a barrier. But too heavy and blocks light.
The plastic solution is better at sound blockage - I cannot hear the door bell in the next room when music is playing...added to this the visibility factor.....and easier handling.
Now I took the risk here as the curtain is at the left corner of the room - the left speaker can be seen in the photo about 4 feet away from the plastic screen.
I use well padded sofa in the front and so hope and pray that there are no acoustic complications due to this...

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
tuff

there are various designs available and over a period of time... some light does get thru..

regards

Guys thanks for the comments and the ideas.
Before I stared this build the first thing I did was to to temporarily suspend some curtains and try out. Well the acoustic barrier was not effective and my son kept badgering me that he could not study! Then I moved to a heavy floor carpet made of cotton. Like what is used in temples for people to sit on the floor. It is definitely better as a barrier. But too heavy and blocks light.
The plastic solution is better at sound blockage - I cannot hear the door bell in the next room when music is playing...added to this the visibility factor.....and easier handling.
Now I took the risk here as the curtain is at the left corner of the room - the left speaker can be seen in the photo about 4 feet away from the plastic screen.
I use well padded sofa in the front and so hope annd pray that there are no acoustic complications due to this...

Oops sorry...can't seem to delete this quotes now..mods help..

Last edited:
If there isnt too much change in the sound i suppose it should be fine. Also it seems the sheet is not in the way of first reflections it should be fine. Where there is a will, there is a way!
(had not noticed the speaker in the pic earlier)

... ... ...

Using industrial grade plastic sheet (0.7 mm thick) and some left over teak wood pieces at home a solution was worked out.

The sheet can be rolled down the sheet with a wood + metal strip counterweight at the bottom during listening sessions or rolled up and slid into the corner L piece for stowage. The entire setup screen can be also slid out for WAF...

The plastic sheets come in much thicker rolls offering better sound blocking but it would have made the screen much more heavy.

What an interesting idea. Have you considered the plastic/vinyl-strip curtains that are used in industrial doorways. I have even seen them used in zoos and bird parks where a barrier to animal/bird movement is required. The plastic is heavy, but it is relatively easy to push them aside and walk through.

I am considering using one as an insect barrier. From this thread, I realise that it could be a sound barrier too. Thanks!

Exactly Thad...however WAF may not permit permanent use of such long plastic strips used in industries as dust barrier. Typically those sheet strips are 1.5 mm and beyond in thickness as they need to be rugged enough to handle the constant movement of people and fork lifts...

Typically those sheet strips are 1.5 mm
I think the stuff I've browsed is even 2 to 3mm thick.

For insect resistance, it is also orange. Eventually found out that this is because [it is claimed] insects can't see the lights that attract them through the orange film. Will it make the world sound better? I doubt it, but I'm sure that an 8*4-foot rectangle on the front of my house is not going to look too good.

thanks doc saab! just y'day itself while listening to my newly acquired AVR & partial set of speakers, i was wondering what changes i could make to the hall to treat it better acoustically. this has stimulated me to think about hanging either the plastic sheet or something more eye-pleasing at the section where the dining room joins the hall.

Follow HiFiMART on Instagram for offers, deals and FREE giveaways!
Back