Acoustic Portrait speakers over "Hercules" rum ....

avidyarthy

:yahoo:

Had the opportunity to visit Gvenu in Bangalore yesterday. Me thinks I am the first person (from the Forum) to get to see this marvel.

Everything ranging from soundstage, clarity, depth of sound was fantastic. The MTM configuration 4 ft tall monsters had it all, not to forget the classy yet robust looks. All drivers are from Scanspeak.

I was accompanied by a 'noob' colleague (used to hearing mass market stuff) who was literally flabberghasted when a range of jazz, instrumentals, ghazals and South Indian vocals were played out.

The full system comprises of a Pioneer DVDp, a DIY DAC, a not acquired-yet brand new Acoustic Portrait pre-amp (which Venu intends to 'keep') and a 200 W/ch Acoustic Portrait Power amp.

This is the second instance I am getting to see / hear Acoustic Portrait products, the first being at iaudio's (Titus) place in Cochin. Must say that this high end Indian manufacture can easily pip the 'imported India-available known brands' to the post.

Thanks you Venu ....... for spending close to 3 hours and making available everything .... including the Hercules rum (not available in Delhi) ...

He he he, Hercules has apparently cast a spell on you. after the spell is broken, we expect some pics if not listening impressions. Ideally both are welcome.

BTW, which was sampled first? The Rum or the APs?

Buddy, I'm typing this post sipping on some equally potent stuff & hoping wishfully that it is a light hearted comment. Hope someone won't take offense.:D

Thanks for sharing your experiences.

Cheers

Rajesh

Capt.

I strongly take offense that both of you are enjoying alone alone :D

Does this 'Potent' stuff have a name :rolleyes:

@ avidyarthy, did you find any other 'entertainment' other than the hercules & AP combo in bengaluru??? :rolleyes:

....... wanted to desperately......but none accepted payments via credit card ... :p. Bengaluru still has some yards to cover to reach Mumbai ...:lol:

:lol::D:eek:hyeah::eek:hyeah::D:lol:

you are like :sos: right now eh??? hehehe

Capt.

I strongly take offense that both of you are enjoying alone alone :D

Hey Buddy,

I wish you could join me.:sad:

At least you have suggested it.:yahoo:

Does this 'Potent' stuff have a name :rolleyes:

The prologue goes like this: "According to a Scottish legend, when you taste a good Scotch whiskey, you can hear a piper play. Blah blah blah.

Guess what I'm having.

Clue: It is available all over India (at least in CSD canteens:lol:)

Cheers

Rajesh

Avidyarthy, I was just talking to Venu a while back and he was telling me about your visit.
Now you have to visit Siva and listen to his rig.

Hey Buddy,

I wish you could join me.:sad:

At least you have suggested it.:yahoo:

The prologue goes like this: "According to a Scottish legend, when you taste a good Scotch whiskey, you can hear a piper play. Blah blah blah.

Guess what I'm having.

Clue: It is available all over India (at least in CSD canteens:lol:)

Cheers

Rajesh

aahhh, we have similar tastes then, 100 of them :D

them pipers are very mellow & smooth, have recently stopped mucking around looking for royal challenges & countless signatures. Guess I now will be a pipers fan ;)

BTW what is the rate @ CSD Canteens for them sau pipers :rolleyes:???

Hey guys, stop going off topic discussing whisky!

Respect the thread starter and discuss either Rum or the AP speakers or both!

I guess my pick is to talk about AP, and thats not aristocrat premium, plz.
I heard these guys at corrson make a mean pre-amp and a marantz 7 clone too. What are your respective takes on these? IMHO, they dont seem to believe in keeping their website updated like so many other audiophile-grade brand owners. But its very tempting, I must say, whatever is there on it.

Last edited:
I guess my pick is to talk about AP, and thats not aristocrat premium, plz.
I heard these guys at corrson make a mean pre-amp and a marantz 7 clone too. What are your respective takes on these? IMHO, they dont seem to believe in keeping their website updated like so many other audiophile-grade brand owners. But its very tempting, I must say, whatever is there on it.

The Maratnz clone is one of the earliest attempted and perfected by AP long ago. Since then the models have come a long way and the current one called PM-1 is a very hi-end preamp. There are many users on this forum including myself, Dr bass, Titus, Venu among others. Most users are not part of this forum though.

The mean preamp is the PM-1. Many users have chosen this over many branded ones costing upwards of 3/4k $. Give it a matching amp and resolving speakers, it will amaze you.

Not sure corrson is making them commercially anymore but I am sure you can get one done if you request. Costs around 70k for the version with Dact attenuators, Jenson/Auricaps etc.

Check out our special offers on Stereo Package & Bundles for all budget types.
Back