Acoustic Portrait - Swara – Tube Preamp

MaSh

Any users of this preamp? Seems like a good option for a stereo preamp. Comes with a remote.

Do share any views or experience with this

Product Description
Swara – Tube PreAmplifier

The Swara preamp is a completely new design using two 6n2p vacuum tubes. It has been designed to take full advantage of subtle tonal elegance which is only possible with tubes. While still ensuring an overall neutral sonic by keeping distortions to a minimal. The preamp will work with any power amplifier available in the market and enhance the overall experience of the nature of sound. Most importantly our experience with variety of components has enabled us to manufacture a very high quality preamp at a price that was never possible before. Only the very best quality components are used throughout the preamp and its sonic performance is world class and rivals other products that cost significantly more.

Swara – Tube Preamp

MaSh

All I can say is 6N2P tube at driver stage is a very fine sounding tube. All my three pairs of mono blocks have them and they make beautiful music.

And I guess the three mica 6N2P-EV is the best of them all. (All the three micas should be pronounced and similar)

Thank you for the information. So on paper the preamp should perform well?

MaSh

For your info the Aikido preamp uses two 6N2P each channel if I remember right. In fact 6N1P or 6N2P at driver stage, should sound great. But should be true tube preamp, no solid state gain stages. Ask builder for under the hood pictures.

I can ask a friend who has perfected the Aikido preamp. He may be willing to make another.
Hmm okay. But I am not looking for a diy solution for the preamplifier.

This AP preamp seems like a very interesting option and the specs fit my requirements. Now only if someone who has heard it in person can give info on its performance, any signature of its own, matching with a power amp, etc I'll go ahead and try it out.

MaSh

@MaSh

Thanks for sharing this link.

I'm also looking at budget tubes ....just to gauge what it's all about.

The price are really more healthy to the wallet.

I am looking at the power amplifier.

I guess there needs to be 2 6N2P tubes each channel for good preamp gain and true tube sound. Check reviews on Aikido preamp. There is no doubt on its topology and sound signature. It’s proven and fantastic. Tube preamps are way easier where as tube amps with great OPTs tend to sound great and are difficult to DIY.

Else why not try a tube buffer ? You may find it equally great sounding. I can suggest one based on 6N1P tube but it involves a bit of DIY.
Hmm okay. But I am not looking for any diy option for a preamp.

@MaSh

Thanks for sharing this link.

I'm also looking at budget tubes ....just to gauge what it's all about.

The price are really more healthy to the wallet.

I am looking at the power amplifier.

Yes doesn't this just tick all boxes, even the price seems fine, compared to other preamps.

MaSh

Siva who own AP is a very nice guy, try and speak to him to loan one preamp to have a home demo in your own setup and then decide. I have built the Musical Fidelity clone of X10-D using the same 6n1p and it did sound nice.

I did not suggested AP on your thread figuring, being from Bangalore, you would have checked them out.

AP has been praised and suggested by several FMs like jai, arj, square_wave.
I have heard a few of their earlier offerings. They were excellent.

Do get an audition. They have a tube buffer and a pre in the Swara range which are around your budget.

I did not suggested AP on your thread figuring, being from Bangalore, you would have checked them out.

AP has been praised and suggested by several FMs like jai, arj, square_wave.
I have heard a few of their earlier offerings. They were excellent.

Do get an audition. They have a tube buffer and a pre in the Swara range which are around your budget.
He he yeah. Was hoping to find something Preworshipped, no luck there. So checking out new offerings now. I'll be checking them out this week. Looks promising and ticks all my requirements. Need to just make sure it sounds good, rest of the equipment aside.

MaSh

The Swara pre and power work very well together. I have also heard the pre with other AP amps and it scales quite well. However, haven't heard it with non AP amps so can't comment on that. Best to try it out. Note that it's a high gain preamp so may not work well with a high gain power amp

I have only used the Thiyaga preamp which is a higher end version. I have used it with odyssey stratos and with the swara power amp. It is also high gain so works well with normal to low gain power amps. The Thiyaga is on par with some of the finest tube preamps out there. I have heard the Swara range also at various places. It is excellent !

The Swara pre and power work very well together. I have also heard the pre with other AP amps and it scales quite well. However, haven't heard it with non AP amps so can't comment on that. Best to try it out. Note that it's a high gain preamp so may not work well with a high gain power amp

Thank you so much, that helps in deciding. Does the Tube roll-off the highs? I like my highs to be clear, distinct and extended without being harsh or overly bright.

I seem to have lost you with the High Gain characteristic. What should I be looking at to match it with a suitable power amp? Any particular spec that I need to consider?

I have only used the Thiyaga preamp which is a higher end version. I have used it with odyssey stratos and with the swara power amp. It is also high gain so works well with normal to low gain power amps. The Thiyaga is on par with some of the finest tube preamps out there. I have heard the Swara range also at various places. It is excellent !

Wow, I would have loved to get that one, but its way over my budget.

MaSh

Mash I have the AP tube buffer. I'm currently not using it. We'll connect on watsapp later ok buddy. It's only a tube buffer mind you. Sounds very good.

Thank you so much, that helps in deciding. Does the Tube roll-off the highs? I like my highs to be clear, distinct and extended without being harsh or overly bright.

I seem to have lost you with the High Gain characteristic. What should I be looking at to match it with a suitable power amp? Any particular spec that I need to consider?
<snip>

MaSh

Tube preamp don't roll off highs as a rule. Some do so, some don't.
There are units/designs that get HFs right along with bass, mids and vocals.

A high gain preamp is mandatory to pair with low gain power amp.
Low gain power amps have the advantage of low noise.
This said, mating a high gain pre with a high gain power amp practically means the usable volume control will be limited.
Everything else is up to how the system sounds to your ears.

Give the AP Swara an unbiased listen.
Since they are Bangalore based, explore home audition possibility with your power amp and speakers.
Then you will be in a position to make an informed decision.

Cheers,
Raghu

Roll off at any frequency in preamp designs have nothing to do with topology or output devices. It is the overall design that matters. Swara and Thiyaga does not roll off anything from what I know.

Hmm okay. But I am not looking for a diy solution for the preamplifier.

This AP preamp seems like a very interesting option and the specs fit my requirements. Now only if someone who has heard it in person can give info on its performance, any signature of its own, matching with a power amp, etc I'll go ahead and try it out.

MaSh
The problem with diy is resale. Nobody would be interested. I had some bad experiences in the past with selling though the diy stuff I had sounded better than some of the branded ones. Problem is people would just add up the value of components and ask for a lower price since it's used. There wont be any value for the effort to build it.

Guys, just back from AP. What an awesome setup. Absolutely fantastic. Literally bowled over. Was ready to pay and pick, however as my retched luck would have it, all three of their preamps in stock got sold yesterday and 2 more in backlog. If ordered today they can have one ready for me by early next week.

Those in Bangalore, must visit and audition.

MaSh

Guys, just back from AP. What an awesome setup. Absolutely fantastic. Literally bowled over. Was ready to pay and pick, however as my retched luck would have it, all three of their preamps in stock got sold yesterday and 2 more in backlog. If ordered today they can have one ready for me by early next week.

MaSh

Haha. The boy is smitten!!
Cheers,
Raghu

All I can say is 6N2P tube at driver stage is a very fine sounding tube. All my three pairs of mono blocks have them and they make beautiful music.

And I guess the three mica 6N2P-EV is the best of them all. (All the three micas should be pronounced and similar)
Completely agree. After rolling through many tubes in my preamp, the 6N2P tubes are in a different league sonically.

MaSh
Did you listen only to Swara or also Thiyaga?

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Red Mahogany finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back