Acoustic Portrait Thiyaga & Corrson MS610

Thanks for the review Sid... have been looking for a review in the hybrid amp...

Btw, did you hear the amp on speakers other than the AP ones???

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sorry I didn't try any of the components with other brands as the review was particularly of the A.P/Corrson system. However these components should pair quite well with other brands as well.
Cheers,
Sid

Thanks for the review Sid... have been looking for a review in the hybrid amp...

Btw, did you hear the amp on speakers other than the AP ones???

Malvai,

Siva kindly agreed to let me listen to the gear after Sid was done with them.
I have the Thyaga Integrated running right now and it sounds great.

Very impressed with the sound in my setup so far.

Running only the amp right now with AP cables.
I will add the speakers later on after I get a good listen to the amp only.

Regards.

Malvai,

Siva kindly agreed to let me listen to the gear after Sid was done with them.
I have the Thyaga Integrated running right now and it sounds great.

Very impressed with the sound in my setup so far.

Running only the amp right now with AP cables.
I will add the speakers later on after I get a good listen to the amp only.

Regards.

Thanks for replying to my query Nikhil... how does it compare to the Job?

And what would be the tonal differences?

Surprisingly it compares quite well. No wrong steps so far.
It's been in my rig since the weekend so early days.

So far none of the soft low end that we noticed at the launch in Oct last year.
Looks like Siva has tweaked it quite nicely based on our feedback.

Will post more with more listening ... but first impressions are very good.

Regards.

Regards.

That's very encouraging... will wait to read about your experiences...

Looking to upgrade from my older Sierra -1(love the sound) version to Corrson MS 610. Or should i be looking at other options.

How would these compare to say the sierra tower

Are they also more neutral studio sounding or warmer ?
Would they match the Parasound A21 ?
I listen to electronic music majorly with fast basslines, drivers are always on workout mode vibrating. Out of the speakers i heard out there i seem to like the focal 826V and psb synchrony sound.
Are the drivers also from scanspeak ?
What do you guys recommend.

Regards.
Bonus review coming up. Great!
A comparison of the integrated with your AP pre/power will be most appreciated Nikhil.

Have been listening to the AP Thyaga Integrated for the past week.
Listening impressions are very good so far and I have really enjoyed having it.

Here is the Thyaga Integrated in my setup.

Thyaga%20Integrated.jpg

Thyaga Integrated + MS 601 Floorstanders

Earlier today I have added the MS 601 Floorstander into the chain.
Just letting it settle in at the moment but here is a picture of the speakers.

MS%20601%20%2B%20Thyaga%20Integrated.jpg

Listening impressions to follow ...

Last edited:
Have been listening to the AP Thyaga Integrated for the past week.
Listening impressions are very good so far and I have really enjoyed having it.

Here is the Thyaga Integrated in my setup.

Thyaga Integrated + MS 601 Floorstanders

Earlier today I have added the MS 601 Floorstander into the chain.
Just letting it settle in at the moment but here is a picture of the speakers.

Listening impressions to follow ...

Beautiful !:clapping:

Any more observations Nikhil... am waiting to read your comments with bated breath!!!

Any more observations Nikhil... am waiting to read your comments with bated breath!!!

Hi Malvai,

Enjoying the MS 610s for the past week together with the Thyaga Integrated.
Have yet to put down listening impressions but they sound great.

Have some time today and tomorrow so will put something down.

Regards

Background

In October 2016, Siva of Acoustic Portrait had invited me along with others for the product launch of some their new products which included the Thiyaga Integrated and the MS 610 floor standers. I was happy to meet with Arjun (FM arj on here) and we both enjoyed having a listen to the setup. Both of us shared our impressions with Siva we had found the Integrated a little lush and laidback. This was in complete contrast to the AP sound we were familiar with. We both also liked the sound of the MS 610 speakers although it over powered the smallish room at the launch.

Fast forward to 2017 and some of you have already seen FM Sidvees review of the Thiyaga + MS610 combo. Sid as Ive come to know him doesnt suffer fools and for him to give a positive review of the AP setup was a surprise. Knowing what I know of my listening from last year, it looked like Siva had taken some of our feedback and fixed some of the issues we had brought up. Needless to say I was very interested to listen to the AP gear once more and the fact that they were now available here in Hyderabad gave me a rare opportunity to listen to them in my own room.

Listening Impressions Thiyaga Integrated

Thyaga%20Integrated%20Front.jpg

I have to admit that I was more interested in the Thiyaga Integrated than the MS 610 speakers so I went ahead and placed just the amp in my chain. Cables were my AP cables with a Belden 8402 between my Lampizator Amber and the Thiyaga Integrated. Source was my W10 PC Transport running JRiver v22 with USB Regen + HDPlex LPS.

To my dismay there was a glare in the sound which gave me a headache straight away. Fortunately I had faced this problem before whenever there was excessive gain in the source. This got fixed by inserting the IC cable from AP which is a coaxial design. The glare disappeared with the cable change and I was just happy to let the amp settle in. I mention this because it might be useful to someone who faces the same problem. You have to be patient whenever you add new gear. Theres always bound to be the odd issue. Subsequently all cables were AP for my listening.

Adding just the amp into my chain there was the trademark solidity to the sound stage that AP gear is known for. The amp had very good control of my Green Mountain Eos HX stand mounts and there was none of the lushness that I had heard in October last year. Instead there was a tight grip on the sound that betrayed the huge power that this Integrated has in reserve. The Thiyaga had a nice meaty sound with a little more sweetness than my Job INT. No more worries about this being a little laidback.

What I did notice was that I had to turn the volume knob to about the 9:00 position before I could get any useful sound in my room. I could go up to about 11:30 position depending on the loudness of the material. With most modern recordings with average DR 6-7 ratings you will not be able to go past 10:00 for normal listening. With material having DR 10-12 rating, there is a sweet spot between 9:00 and 9:30 where the amp just sounds incredibly smooth and almost tube like. When playing in this range the music had absolutely no strain but conveyed all the low level detail effortlessly.

As you crank up the volume knob more you awaken the beast inside. Power is not something this amp lacks. The rated 180W is a very conservative rating. This amp will not have trouble driving most speakers. With most speakers, I can safely say that our ears (and neighbors) will be pleading for mercy long before the amp runs out of steam.

Listening with MS 610 Speakers

After listening to the Thiyaga Integrated for about a week, I had an appreciation for what the amp was doing. The sound was absolutely great with most of my normal material which tends to be a varied mix of pop/rock, jazz, Instrumental and Bollywood. Finally, last weekend I installed the MS 610 speakers to see what the Thiyaga + MS 610 combination was capable of. What a pleasant surprise that turned out to be!

As someone used to stand mounts, albeit with pretty good bass response, I really had missed how much low end information adds to the listening. The first thing that hit me was the bass response. In fact they overloaded my room fairly quickly once I played material with low frequency information - window sill vibrating stuff. My listening room has a fair amount of carpeting and furniture but still the bass was a bit much. Siva recommended elevating the speakers about 4 inches. Not having spare platforms I plugged the bass reflex ports with rolled up hand towels instead. This tamed the response to a large extent after which I was able to start listening to the speakers.

Ive been listening to all kinds of music with the MS610 but the music that really gave me more enjoyment was the kind with more bass. Western Classical and EDM/Electronic sounded great. The low drone sounds of the Franz Kalkbrenner album Grand Depart were delivered with stellar composure. Switching to Ivan Fishers Budapest Festival Orchestras rendition of Brahms Symphony No.2 Tragic Overture the MS610 were absolutely solid. The MTM configuration of the MS610 delivers a sound stage that has weight and meatiness. Keep in mind though that this is still a great speaker for other genres. Bollywood item numbers explode with the volume turned up on the Thiyaga Integrated. On more mellow music the highs and mids are sweet and clean. Anupam Roys voice just floats in the soundstage from the Piku soundtrack. Fans of stereo imaging will not be disappointed. The sound just detaches from the speakers with ease forming a dead centre image.

Conclusions

With so many positive things to say I dont want to give the impression that the amp and speakers are without drawbacks. Build quality will always be a challenge in comparison to the big brands. If you look very closely minor improvements in fit and finish can be possible but that brings in the cost equations. The speaker cabinets do look very handsome in their Walnut finish. Siva has managed to squeeze out incredible performance from the drivers (Scanspeak). These speakers though would not embarrass themselves in any circumstances. Same goes for the Thiyaga Integrated.

Some images of the speakers up close:

MS%20610%20Front%20%2B%20Grille.jpg

MS%20610%20Front%20%2B%20Drivers.jpg

MS%20601%20Binding%20Posts%20%2B%20Reflex%20Port.jpg

MS%20601%20Speaker%20Rails.jpg

MS%20601%20Speaker%20Spike%20Mounted.jpg

Last edited:
One more thing I would like to add to Nikhil's impressions relating to the MS 610. If you pull these speakers well out into the room 4.5-5 feet you will be rewarded with an exceptional soundstage depth. There is excellent layering of instruments and back up vocals etc. that are positioned with palpable realism.
Cheers,
Sid

Background

In October 2016, Siva of Acoustic Portrait had invited me along with others for....

Thanks Nikhil and Sid for the wonderful and objective reviews. Superb writing skills too!

From the reviews, the Integrated looks like a clear winner in its class. I hope to listen to the speakers some place some day, but was wondering if there is a unique characteristic about them as compared to a host of dynamic speakers in this price bracket. The (excessive) bass that Nikhil speaks about is a bit of concern. Plugging the ports is no solution and not many can afford to place them 5' within the room. Nevertheless, overall both products look great and takes the AP team a notch higher.

Cheers!

Join WhatsApp group to get HiFiMART.com Offers & Deals delivered to your smartphone!
Back