Acoustic Potrait thiyaga v2 dac

So basically what the specifications say that it can do above 44 or 48 sampling rate only with windows drivers?
That means only when source / server is running windows OS?
I ask this as most companies are able to make their usb interface to do above 44 or even dsd (if supported) on Linux too.

Then what would be the reason of this specific usb implementation only doing higher resolution only with windows OS

Then what would be the reason of this specific usb implementation only doing higher resolution only with windows OS
Precisely this is very pertinent question. Why is it attached to certain OS only? Are Manfacturers trying to win us in the number game by virtue of a software gimmick?

Why will any manufacturer or the company making the USB board restrict it that way ?
Maybe this particular usb implementation has got no linux support and that's why no linux driver was made for it
Hence It can't do resolution higher than 44 or 48 which is the default

I just chatted with the manufacturer about this. He said he is using a standard Amanero OEM module in the product for USB. I have used this dac with my Auarlic aries which is a Linux based device. It worked well. He suggested the OP to get in touch with them and they should be able to guide and solve this issue.

I just chatted with the manufacturer about this. He said he is using a standard Amanero OEM module in the product for USB. I have used this dac with my Auarlic aries which is a Linux based device. It worked well. He suggested the OP to get in touch with them and they should be able to guide and solve this issue.
Contacted the manufacturer. Suggested default settings.

The Amanero OEM module should support 44.1kHz, 48kHz, 88.2kHz, 96kHz, 176.4kHz & 192kHz and should not require a separate driver on Linux.

Edit: that is, if the Linux kernel is USB Audio Class 2 compliant.

So basically what the specifications say that it can do above 44 or 48 sampling rate only with windows drivers?
That means only when source / server is running windows OS?

Windows is needed for DSD 256 and 512 (higher rate DSD)
All other formats work on other systems.

This is an Amanero USB module spec and is well known.

here you go for more information:

Supported Sample Rates
44.1kHz 48kHz 88.2kHz 96kHz 176.4kHz 192kHz 352.8kHz 384kHz
Output Format
I2S 32bit or DSD64,DSD128 - On Windows DSD256,DSD512 too

I'm not familiar with snakeoil OS, but am generalising from my experience with a similar DAC.

I have the HQAudio DAC which is based on the ESS 9018 and has an amanero USB board.

Typically, I've found up-sampling to DSD works well with this dac. For PCM upsampling I usually set up roon as follows - 44.1 Khz and multiples thereof to 352.8Khz and for 48 Khz and multiples to 384Khz.

Play around with filters to see what works for you.

here you go for more information:

Supported Sample Rates
44.1kHz 48kHz 88.2kHz 96kHz 176.4kHz 192kHz 352.8kHz 384kHz
Output Format
I2S 32bit or DSD64,DSD128 - On Windows DSD256,DSD512 too

I'm not familiar with snakeoil OS, but am generalising from my experience with a similar DAC.

I have the HQAudio DAC which is based on the ESS 9018 and has an amanero USB board.

Typically, I've found up-sampling to DSD works well with this dac. For PCM upsampling I usually set up roon as follows - 44.1 Khz and multiples thereof to 352.8Khz and for 48 Khz and multiples to 384Khz.

Play around with filters to see what works for you.
Will try thank you

Reply fron snakeoil developer
Hi,
I have a Indian brand dac Acoustic potrait thiyaga v2 based on ESS9028 Pro which uses amanero usb module. The problem i am facing is when i do upsampling in snake oil MPD it is showing"no clock" and no output from speakers. when stopped playing it is showing oversampling value.
plz let me know whats wrong in my system.

Is Snakeoil has UAC2 compliant kernel

thanks regards.
Amanero always seems to have issues in the USB kernel. Do you know if this is a official Amanero or a clone, and what firmware you're running this? There are discussions about this somewhere in the forum, see if any of the search threads offer a clue.

Until then, what bitrate are you trying to upsample to?

The USB audio kernel in Linux is USB Audio Class 2. Having said that, there's always compatibility issues with Amanero based chips, but as far as I can remember it's always about native DSD playback. Unsure about upsampling.

Just my 2c, upsampling and oversampling may sound cleaner, but it robs the 'life' from music. The best system I have heard plays 16 bit audio and it's non-oversampling (NOS). Using a TDA1541A single crown Dutch chip, fed straight via I2S. I have yet to hear anything as good as that, even DSD on the best DACs I have experienced so far pales in comparison to that when we talk about the realism of the vocals and timbre of instruments.

Having said that, oversampling probably can't be avoided today. Upsampling can help in some cases. But I hope one day the audio industry will get back to the basics of music re-production, properly.. Sorry for the rant. Smile

Sorry but in other words the guy completely side stepped your question.
Then goes on to do the following ...
  1. Casts aspersions about the provenance of the AP Amanero chip
  2. Switches the topic to DSD when clearly your question was about PCM
  3. Then goes onto talk about the complete opposite of what you want to do
    (NOS into the most well known NOS chips via I2S i.e. not USB is on the opp side of the spectrum)
  4. Parts with a back handed comment on oversampling.
To me it looks like up-sampling is not the Snakeoil preferred way of doing things.

Why don't you post on the Snakeoil forum? You will get more experienced people who may be able to help in addition to the developer who also posts there. I recall seeing a couple of posts about upsampling there.

Also:
Since he has asked a couple of questions, please respond to him with answers. You will get the answer about the Amanero board and it's firmware from the AP guys. Also if you haven't done it already, like he says, search the Snakeoil forums. He's not shut the door yet, get a foot in.

Why don't you post on the Snakeoil forum? You will get more experienced people who may be able to help in addition to the developer who also posts there. I recall seeing a couple of posts about upsampling there.

Also:
Since he has asked a couple of questions, please respond to him with answers. You will get the answer about the Amanero board and it's firmware from the AP guys. Also if you haven't done it already, like he says, search the Snakeoil forums. He's not shut the door yet, get a foot in.
Ok

I bought Acoustic portrait dac v2 used from our forum member. As said by 1st owner it was upgraded by AP with eletro-Harmonics 12AU7 and audyn capacitors. There are lot of performance issues with the dac from day one. user settings get changed and volume goes to full without user input.. there is no user manual for dac which cost 1.70lacs. The reason i am writing this is because, my dac has malfunctioned and sent for repairs and it was kept with AP for 6months. Intially they said have to change the dac board and it would cost 26k. As i am not in a position to spend that much money i requested to do chip level service and AP agreed to do chip level service. the service was delayed due to chip shortage. But to my suprise when i contacted them yesterday they said the service would cost 58K plus gst. so i dropped the idea of repair and getting it back. Note: we have done some mods by changing internal wiring as the quality of wiring done by AP is cheap and has loose contacts. there are saying that the dac was tampered very badly. After receiving the dac i will post internal pics of dac which shows the quality of construction.

Last edited by a moderator:
I bought Acoustic portrait dac v2 used from our forum member. As said by 1st owner it was upgraded by AP with eletro-Harmonics 12AU7 and audyn capacitors. There are lot of performance issues with the dac from day one. user settings get changed and volume goes to full without user input.. there is no user manual for dac which cost 1.70lacs. The reason i am writing this is because, my dac has malfunctioned and sent for repairs ...

I just called Siva of Acoustic Portrait in an attempt to intervene. Unfortunately your post is missing some relevant information.

Your DAC was damaged during shipping from the first owner to you. When sent to AP for repair, the DAC was found to have been tampered with - wiring connections were interchanged etc. This is indeed unfortunate that you had to suffer this but your posting on this thread is an unfair knock on both the manufacturer and the OP. You already have a thread on the problems you have been facing (Link) but even there you have not given all details.

I just called Siva of Acoustic Portrait in an attempt to intervene. Unfortunately your post is missing some relevant information.

Your DAC was damaged during shipping from the first owner to you. When sent to AP for repair, the DAC was found to have been tampered with - wiring connections were interchanged etc. This is indeed unfortunate that you had to suffer this but your posting on this thread is an unfair knock on both the manufacturer and the OP. You already have a thread on the problems you have been facing (Link) but even there you have not given all details.

what details should i provide sir .
what i want to say is first they have quoted 26k for changing the board (lets assume i had completely tampered it)
Now after keeping it for six months they have quoted 58000 plus gst for same replacement. as they cannot do chip level service.

what details should i provide sir .
what i want to say is first they have quoted 26k for changing the board (lets assume i had completely tampered it)
Now after keeping it for six months they have quoted 58000 plus gst for same replacement. as they cannot do chip level service.
You could pay the amount quoted by them and get it repaired.
Or not.
I don’t think there is any audio company in the world that would agree to repair equipment that has been damaged by the user (or second user) at a cost that is decided by the user…

The Marantz PM7000N offers big, spacious and insightful sound, class-leading clarity and a solid streaming platform in a award winning package.
Back