Acoustic Potrait thiyaga v2 dac

Analogous, if I have understood correctly, I think his grievance is they initially quoted 26k and after 6 months of keeping it they got back saying chip level service is not possible and are now quoting 58k against the previous quoted 26k. If this is correct there is merit in his grievance.

Analogous, if I have understood correctly, I think his grievance is they initially quoted 26k and after 6 months of keeping it they got back saying chip level service is not possible and are now quoting 58k against the previous quoted 26k. If this is correct there is merit in his grievance.
Prem: I don’t want to be pedantic about this but I think they are at liberty to quote whatever price they think is fair for the repair even if they discover the real damage later on.

This item was not in the warranty period when sent to AP for repairs.

If I understand the process it involves replacing a new chip to test/verify that the old chip indeed is the problem….

I would fault them for not diagnosing the problem properly the first time. But I would not expect them to pay for a new chip that has been damaged by the user/s.

Analogous, they were initially replacing the dac board for 26 k. Vinay told them he doesn’t have the budget and if possible to replace only the dac chip. After 6 months they got back saying the dac board has to be replaced. But now it will cost 58k. I don’t think that sounds fair. Of course the manufacturer is free to quote what he wishes but there has to be consistency in the quote. In 6 months they can’t go from 26k to 58k. It doesn’t sound correct.

Intially they said have to change the dac board and it would cost 26k.
But to my suprise when i contacted them yesterday they said the service would cost 58K plus gst.
I'm sure that you would have asked them why the estimate of changing the board escalated by more than double from their previous quote in 6 months. What explanation was given by them?
Note: we have done some mods by changing internal wiring as the quality of wiring done by AP is cheap and has loose contacts. there are saying that the dac was tampered very badly. After receiving the dac i will post internal pics of dac which shows the quality of construction.
By "we" who do you mean? You?
The problems that you mention with the DAC - were they existing before you did the "mods" or after?

Last edited:
We are hearing one side of the story.
Hopefully we don’t become unwitting players in a social media campaign to pressurise a Audio manufacturer…

Analogous, as I clearly stated if what Vinay is saying is true and events played out the way he has described, then he has a reason to feel grieved.

Of course we don’t know the other side of the story.

All I am saying is we can’t dismiss off Vinay’s grievance just like that.

that is what i am pointing out

that is what i am pointing out
I decided not to get it repaired and getting it back, for 70k i can get decent dac. I am also not satisfied with output of Acoustic portrait build quality so cheap and their after sales service. Maybe they didnt took it seriously as i am not the original buyer. I will use the parts for my diy project with RPI and DAC board.

Even if i tampered (just chaged the internal wire which is of low quality) is it justifiable to charge 70k ( 58K+GST).

Analogous, as I clearly stated if what Vinay is saying is true and events played out the way he has described, then he has a reason to feel grieved.

Of course we don’t know the other side of the story.

All I am saying is we can’t dismiss off Vinay’s grievance just like that.
Lots of ifs there Prem….
I certainly don’t wish to dismiss anyones grievances . Let us hope there is a satisfactory resolution

I had a similar incident with Allo. I found the quality of USB port of low quality and also the soldering of the usb ports very poor. The DAC would loose connectivity off and on. In fact all manually soldered jobs were of poor quality in my allo usbridge signature device too. I wrote to the manufacturer the situation and they told me to send it to bangalore. But I wrote to them that I can do soldering myself and I have a decent hot air rework station and just in case If i screw up, will they honour the warranty? The manufacturer to my surprise replied that they will repair the port for free. Ultimately, I replaced the micro usb port with that of my old xiomi phone and as luck would have it, the DAC has been singing ever since. I have seen many other instances of users goofing up with allo devices and allo repairing it for free, with the user incurring just the shipping costs.

I'm not conversant with the actual fault of the AP device, but I do lot of repairs myself. I believe the user when he says that the only thing that he changed were the internal wiring. Some photos would help, but I'm assuming that it will be just one chip that has gone bad. AP could have repaired the unit at a reasonable rate and chosen to make the user happy. That unfortunately hasn't happened. Too me it looks making hay while the sun shines. Nothing wrong with that, but it doesn't give good vibes about the company.

EDIT: I have also gone through the other posts from Vinay complaining of upsampling and volume issues. It definitely seems that the AP DAC can be used reliably only with Windows. AP doesn't have the expertise of writing linux device drivers. This unfortunately reminds me of Allo where they have got their hands dirtly and contributed to the linux kernel to fix issues that weren't of their making. Just my 2 cents, because this is again something observed with the m2rpi streamer from AP.

Last edited:
Prem: I don’t want to be pedantic about this but I think they are at liberty to quote whatever price they think is fair for the repair even if they discover the real damage later on.

This item was not in the warranty period when sent to AP for repairs.

If I understand the process it involves replacing a new chip to test/verify that the old chip indeed is the problem….

I would fault them for not diagnosing the problem properly the first time. But I would not expect them to pay for a new chip that has been damaged by the user/s.
If AP has a problem with a tampered device they can reject repair right away.

As a professional in my field, once I give a quotation for a job, then I stick to it, even if I discover unforseen issues along the way, this way I maintain my integrity and professionalism. It is upto me to thoroughly evaluate the situation at hand before giving a quotation, otherwise it has no meaning.

@vinaymoturi does the DAC get recognized when you connect to your device running snake oil?

Login to your device and run the command

$ journalctl -fl

and then connect the dac and report what comes on screen

Also what is the output of the command

$ aplay -l

also open a terminal and run the command
$ alsamixer

and see of the volume of the dac is 100%

what details should i provide sir .
what i want to say is first they have quoted 26k for changing the board (lets assume i had completely tampered it)
Now after keeping it for six months they have quoted 58000 plus gst for same replacement. as they cannot do chip level service.

Checked this with AP once again:

26K was for chip replacement only
6 months was due to the chip shortage
58K was for chip + board replacement after it was found that the board also had to be replaced.

@vinaymoturi does the DAC get recognized when you connect to your device running snake oil?

$ journalctl -fl

$ aplay -l

$ alsamixer

I will try after receiving the dac.

Checked this with AP once again:

26K was for chip replacement only
6 months was due to the chip shortage
58K was for chip + board replacement after it was found that the board also had to be replaced.

No Sir, i am sharing the screen shot of whatsapp. I am no more interested in getting it repaired, Because, I dont want sell it in that condition....

$ journalctl -fl

$ aplay -l

$ alsamixer

As I remember it worked with snakeoil OS

Attachments

• WhatsApp Image 2022-08-02 at 4.19.48 PM.jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2022-08-02 at 4.19.48 PM.jpeg
    91.2 KB · Views: 65
Thanks Nikhil for clarifying with AP. But Vinay’s whatsapp image says 26k for the board. So I think there must have been a genuine error on part of AP while quoting. They may have meant 26k for the chip but inadvertently mentioned it was for the board.

Thanks Nikhil for clarifying with AP. But Vinay’s whatsapp image says 26k for the board. So I think there must have been a genuine error on part of AP while quoting. They may have meant 26k for the chip but inadvertently mentioned it was for the board.
Actually it doesn't say 26k for the board and neither does it say 26k for the chip so could be interpreted both ways.
Notice that the "tampering" part is attributed (albeit, not explicitly) to the 1st owner.
Notice that my pointed questions in a previous post are unanswered.
I'm getting a very strong stench of a certain aquatic dweller!

Yes looks like there is a misunderstanding for sure. The position of AP is that they genuinely wanted to help at a minimum possible cost. However when the new chip was placed it was not responding to control mechanisms. In order for the DAC to function properly they recommended that the entire board be replaced.

I have little skin in the game here but I do think there are some not so great optics about this 2nd hand Tyaga board issue. Firstly if it was bought used (that too from a forum member) with tampered board then even before AP is being involved, at least owner should clearly articulate was he aware about this when he bought the DAC (it's ok to buy worked equipment at a good price if one has appetite for repair or re-use parts etc ), if yes then he should have clearly informed AP about this when DAC was sent for repairs (that's what anyone seeking correct diagnosis does when you do to a doctor or OEM ) , there is then talk about some tube replacement and wire replacement. Overall what I am curious about is why is current owner going after AP instead of the 1st owner who tampered with the DAC ? I know privacy is important so please DM me the handle so that I personally can avoid buying stuff from such folks , I apologise in advance if I have misinterpreted or misrepresented anyone here.

I have little skin in the game here but I do think there are some not so great optics about this 2nd hand Tyaga board issue. Firstly if it was bought used (that too from a forum member) with tampered board then even before AP is being involved, at least owner should clearly articulate was he aware about this when he bought the DAC (it's ok to buy worked equipment at a good price if one has appetite for repair or re-use parts etc ), if yes then he should have clearly informed AP about this when DAC was sent for repairs (that's what anyone seeking correct diagnosis does when you do to a doctor or OEM ) , there is then talk about some tube replacement and wire replacement. Overall what I am curious about is why is current owner going after AP instead of the 1st owner who tampered with the DAC ? I know privacy is important so please DM me the handle so that I personally can avoid buying stuff from such folks , I apologise in advance if I have misinterpreted or misrepresented anyone here.
while sending the dac to AP for repair i kept a letter in the box clearly mentioning the historyof DAC what i had done with dac etc.

Here I am attaching the letter. I even contacted AP several times to know about diff settings on dac. and also mentioned abt volume going to full. they sugested to use isolation transformer. During this process i even asked AP about the history of DAC but i didnt get clear reply. Above all i only want to know why cost of repair went from 26k to 58K. One reason they gave was chip shortage at the same time they also told that they have sold hundreds of DAC's.

Attachments

• AP.pdf
    210.3 KB · Views: 52
Last edited:
Order your Rega Turntables & Amplifiers from HiFiMART.com - India's reputed online dealer.
Back