Acoustic treatments

If you are buying corner bass traps get them from a reputed brand like GIK or Real Traps. If these things aren't properly designed for broadband absorption, they can mess up your sound. Ideally get a professional guy involved in measuring your room and then buying accordingly. Left to an amateur, you can go horribly wrong

If you are buying corner bass traps get them from a reputed brand like GIK or Real Traps. If these things aren't properly designed for broadband absorption, they can mess up your sound. Ideally get a professional guy involved in measuring your room and then buying accordingly. Left to an amateur, you can go horribly wrong

+1 ... don't go anywhere near room treatments unless you are working with a pro.
Which also means you have to factor in consultation fees as part of your budget.

In my limited opinion, there are just too many variables and a lot of trial and error involved. Many bass traps also mess up the higher frequencies. Someone on the forum recently gave away his room acoustic panels and bass traps, like I did a while ago.

Getting a pro with no financial interest in the product being recommended is not easy. And you are not sure if it will produce results that please you. Pro + good panels/traps can be extremely expensive. I prefer to play around with speaker placement, toe-in, furniture and even listening volume.

Do let us know if you find something practical.

Cheers!

Acoustic treatments are solutions to problems, not something you put up for the sake of just having them. What problem are you hearing with the bass that makes you believe you need corner traps?

Soundfoundations of Mumbai now offers room acoustic solutions, including bass traps. Speaking to Ali of SF may be useful.

The mids and lows are a little muddled... I can hear a lot of detail but it's all mixed.. ALso my room has corner glass windows and a big wooden table in the centre with a thick glass top... Convincing the wife to do away with the table is pointless so was hoping to add a couple of bass traps and see if it makes any positive change. I think I will play around with placement a little more as suggested by all on the forum and also burn in the speakers a little more and maybe then take a call...

From your description, it sounds like you need broadband absorbers to tame reflections. This way, you continue to hear details but they don't get mixed up and muddled by copies of those sounds bouncing around your room. Bass traps would be solving the wrong problem.

The mids and lows are a little muddled... I can hear a lot of detail but it's all mixed.. ALso my room has corner glass windows and a big wooden table in the centre with a thick glass top... Convincing the wife to do away with the table is pointless so was hoping to add a couple of bass traps and see if it makes any positive change. I think I will play around with placement a little more as suggested by all on the forum and also burn in the speakers a little more and maybe then take a call...

Ideally with an expert.

Why yes, however I don't have that kind of tosh, so worked with what I could figure out (and ofc miles to go before I sleep). My solution, which I would recommend is a combination of treatment + correction. Both can be experimented, relatively inexpensively esp if you get the mic. on a loan

I'm reasonably okay with where I have gotten to (tons of possibilities for improvement, not enough time/skill/patience,regardless very much WIP).

Like I have pointed out many times it is nowhere like the room treatment result description sidvee posted, but it is miles better than an untreated / uncorrected room.

Worth a shot, I'm sure before you spend lakhs IMHO.

The placement part can be made easier. Audiobeat method to work out the position, Use pink noise played in mono to get a thin perfectly focussed image, use LEDR and may be a laser to perfect it. precision aimed for should be mm perfect. About an hours work. (I am not of course suggesting that you are not aware of, or have not tried / bettered this)

ciao
gr

Last edited:
I had seen an experiment on youtube which showed towel to have good sound absorbtion properties. He created a wood frame and covered it multiple towels to create a nice panel. It had better sound absorbtion than any foam panels. I wonder if anyone here used this method.

I had seen an experiment on youtube which showed towel to have good sound absorbtion properties. He created a wood frame and covered it multiple towels to create a nice panel. It had better sound absorbtion than any foam panels. I wonder if anyone here used this method.

:) I don't see the absorbtion coefficients listed here

I've tried the towel/ mattress/ pillow and other random household object method. They will show you what you do will make a difference, that is the nicest way of describing the time I "invested" on that.

ciao
gr

The Marantz PM7000N offers big, spacious and insightful sound, class-leading clarity and a solid streaming platform in a award winning package.
Back