Active Bookshelf Speakers under 15K

RunBMC

Hi All,
1st post here :)
So I am looking for a active bookshelf speakers 2.0 to simply connect to my laptop. I might get a USB DAC / Preamp later if needed.
I am not looking for a Bluetooth option
I listen to Western Classical and Metal Music so neutral speakers are good but one of my requirements is that the speakers have some decent good bass

From different options, I've shortlisted:

1. PreSonus Eris E3.5
2. Swans D1080-IV
3. Edifier R1280T
4. M-Audio AV42

Any one of these or something else ?

I think you should get a 2.1 if you want bass. Only a sub can produce the bass that we desire.
I myself bought an Edifier S350db for 20500 on amazon. it has almost everything you would need. Sound quality is OK but it's early days.

Thanks Neeraj. Although I do prefer bass, Im not looking at multimedia setup with sub. There is some space constraints and would prefer a 2.0

Thanks Neeraj. Although I do prefer bass, Im not looking at multimedia setup with sub. There is some space constraints and would prefer a 2.0
Most of the active speakers in that price bracket are a compromise though some of the speakers like Edifier DB1280 have good reviews (just my view).
If you can go beyond active speakers, go for a amp and speakers which will serve you better. If space is a constraint go for a Class D amp such as the TDA 7498e which will cost you about INR 2,500 and gives about 68 W at 8 ohms- 2 channel driven. It fits on the palm of my hand and powers my front channels (FL FR)- Wharfedale Diamond 220s with ease.
Rest of the money you can invest in passive speakers from companies such as Norge or Pioneer SP BS22 (around INR 15k).

Most of the active speakers in that price bracket are a compromise though some of the speakers like Edifier DB1280 have good reviews (just my view).
If you can go beyond active speakers, go for a amp and speakers which will serve you better. If space is a constraint go for a Class D amp such as the TDA 7498e which will cost you about INR 2,500 and gives about 68 W at 8 ohms- 2 channel driven. It fits on the palm of my hand and powers my front channels (FL FR)- Wharfedale Diamond 220s with ease.
Rest of the money you can invest in passive speakers from companies such as Norge or Pioneer SP BS22 (around INR 15k).

This would be a great option.
Are Class D amps available in India or am I looking at ordering from Aliexpress? I'm not into DIY so I would be going for a ready package.
Then I could look into passive speakers here locally.

This would be a great option.
Are Class D amps available in India or am I looking at ordering from Aliexpress? I'm not into DIY so I would be going for a ready package.
Then I could look into passive speakers here locally.
I got mine from Aliexpress in about 2 weeks. There is not much to connect in these type of ready boards. You can buy the power supply from them or get one locally. I go a much larger power supply from Amazon since I wanted the 60-70 W per channel. Besides connecting the power supply you just have to connect the speakers. The RCA terminals have been given on the board. I also bought an acrylic case also from the same store. You will be surprised by the amount of power available. On the volume knob, I hardly exceed 10 o clock position for my speakers.
In case you get bored of the sound after a few months/ year you can change the speakers/ amp as per your liking.

I got mine from Aliexpress in about 2 weeks. There is not much to connect in these type of ready boards. You can buy the power supply from them or get one locally. I go a much larger power supply from Amazon since I wanted the 60-70 W per channel. Besides connecting the power supply you just have to connect the speakers. The RCA terminals have been given on the board. I also bought an acrylic case also from the same store. You will be surprised by the amount of power available. On the volume knob, I hardly exceed 10 o clock position for my speakers.
In case you get bored of the sound after a few months/ year you can change the speakers/ amp as per your liking.

It will be great if you still got a link to the store or amp

Try this:

Also add the acrylic cover and the power supply
Thanks. If I go the 2.0 route, this will be good.

Your thoughts on this in case I add a sub in the future

TPA3116D2 chip

Thanks. If I go the 2.0 route, this will be good.

Your thoughts on this in case I add a sub in the future

TPA3116D2 chip
That may not be a great idea since the subwoofer provision seems to be that for a passive one. If that is the case the amp will end up powering the sub plus two speakers which will not be sufficient (depending on the efficiency of the speakers).
Also you need to check the realistic power rating for the specific board. I don't think the board will provide more than 30 W per channel although they claim otherwise.

That may not be a great idea since the subwoofer provision seems to be that for a passive one. If that is the case the amp will end up powering the sub plus two speakers which will not be sufficient (depending on the efficiency of the speakers).
Also you need to check the realistic power rating for the specific board. I don't think the board will provide more than 30 W per channel although they claim otherwise.

Sure. I was skeptical as well. Might stick to 2.0 for now.
Weighing my options for active v/s passive speakers within the budget. Thanks for the suggestions

Check this out, nice deal and really awesome speakers:

^^ Thats the price for one speaker.. But they do have a smaller 5" & 6.5" inch model.. May come in OP's budget
Check Bajaao.com as well.. they have loads of powered monitors.

Guessing not too many people have heard these which are within my budget
1. PreSonus Eris E3.5
2. Swans D1080-IV
3. Edifier R1280T
4. M-Audio AV42

^^ Thats the price for one speaker.. But they do have a smaller 5" & 6.5" inch model.. May come in OP's budget
Check Bajaao.com as well.. they have loads of powered monitors.
Very good for monitoring and equally good for listening If the listener sits at least 4 feet from the speakers, IMO. 104 being coaxial, can be placed even closer to the listener.

I was initally thinking about getting the Yamaha 8390 but I've cancelled that plan and now I'll just get a powered bookshelf 2.0 setup. I plan to pick up the Edifier S1000DB. You can look into that as well. I've read some great reviews on it. Personally have an Edifier 1700BT and it really does sound nice.

Does anyone have the Edifier S1000DB here, please do share your thoughts if you do own them.

I was initally thinking about getting the Yamaha 8390 but I've cancelled that plan and now I'll just get a powered bookshelf 2.0 setup. I plan to pick up the Edifier S1000DB. You can look into that as well. I've read some great reviews on it. Personally have an Edifier 1700BT and it really does sound nice.

Does anyone have the Edifier S1000DB here, please do share your thoughts if you do own them.

way outside my budget which is max 15K

way outside my budget which is max 15K

Then the R1280DB, R1700BT are a good choices. If you want to attach a subwoofer to the 1280DB later it is possible through a Y-splitter (check Youtube). If you want a subwoofer then the S350DB but that's also north of 20k now.

However, the Wharfedale 220 option with the Tda7498E amplifier board that @Amarendra mentioned in his posts above seems really worth looking into. I might order the board, case and power supply with the upcoming AliExpress Sale (11/11) and go from there.

Order your Rega Turntables & Amplifiers from HiFiMART.com - India's reputed online dealer.
Back