Active crossover advice

spaace

Hi,

I would like to know if anyone has tried out active crossovers in their setup and what the experience has been.

I was looking at active crossovers from a view point of avoiding a preamp (dac with volume control + active crossover so that can avoid a preamp or avr in between)

I ask this since there do not seem to be many hifi products in this space (barring behringer and minidsp which seem to lack a little in quality)

My searches led me to pro tools like ashly . That kindof makes me wary since that would mean not meany people do this.

Iam not sure if its a good idea anymore and hence this thread. Do let me know about your experience with active crossovers.

Thanks
Arun

The only problem of using active crossovers in a stereo setup is the need for multiple amplifiers. Couple years back I was running a full 3-way active stereo setup with a 6-channel power amp.
Active crossovers give lots of flexibility in precise tuning depending on the processors capability.

I have listed one Dayton Audio DSP for sale that can be run directly at home as it comes with a wall wart.
It has 4 pairs of outputs which can be configured to run 2-way, 3-way or 4-way active setups.

Yeah since i have a subwoofer i am thinking the lows can be handled by the in built amp in the woofer.

The highs and the mids together to be handled by a single amp and fed to the passive stereo speakers.

Wouldnt that work ? What was the sound like ? Can i know your experience with the crossover setup ?

Yeah since i have a subwoofer i am thinking the lows can be handled by the in built amp in the woofer.

The highs and the mids together to be handled by a single amp and fed to the passive stereo speakers.

Wouldnt that work ? What was the sound like ? Can i know your experience with the crossover setup ?
You get a number of active subwoofers with in built adjustable xo. Just get one and you are done with as your main speakers are going to run passive.
My current 2-channel setup is configured in that fashion only.

Yes i understand that and my sub does have crossover. My problem is getting the line signal for the sub.

I want to change my reciever and go with a preamp but preamps with sub out is far and few in between.

Therefore i was evaluating if i can split the analog out from my dac using a crossover to feed the sub with.

Yes i understand that and my sub does have crossover. My problem is getting the line signal for the sub.

I want to change my reciever and go with a preamp but preamps with sub out is far and few in between.

Therefore i was evaluating if i can split the analog out from my dac using a crossover to feed the sub with.

What kinda inputs does your active subwoofer taken in. Some have low level (RCA) as well as high level (speaker level) inputs.
By receiver, do you mean an AV receiver? Normally receivers have a dedicated sub output, then it is straight forward.

In case of having speaker level inputs, just connect the main speaker outputs on the receiver to the subwoofer speaker level inputs.
Now the volume control on your receiver will act as a preamp. You can tune your speakers to the sub one one-time adjustment on the subwoofer gain control. Also tune in the subwoofer to the main speakers by adjusting the crossover on the sub amp. Play around with the phase switch also if you have one on the subwoofer.

My speaker have line level inputs only unfortunately. The current AVR i have have subouts but i want to change it.

Get the Wharfedale EVO 4.2 3-Way Standmount Speakers at a Special Offer Price.
Back