Activo CT10 from Astell&Kern

PCA

Anyone here has experience with Activo CT10 DAP?

I am considering purchasing this to use primarily as a network streamer in my set up (see my signature; Pioneer SP-FS52 to be added soon) to play my FLAC albums (from micro SD), Spotify and (hopefuly) Tidal. I hope to use it also as a regular DAP, with wired and bluetooth headphones. It will cost me 10k.

Unfortunately, I wont be able to audition it before purchasing. Hence reaching out to forum members:
  1. As a network streamer, in terms of sound, is it likely to be on par with or better than the Allo Boss v1.2 (a similarly priced player)? Would the lack of RCA out and having to use a 3.5 mm to RCA cable, compromise the SQ significantly?
  2. CT10 seems to come with a built-in Tidal app and MQA capability. But to get a Tidal account, I am assuming I will still have to use a foreign VPN. Would that be very complicated on the CT10 as compared to smarphones / computers?
  3. Would the CT10 be able to satisfactorily drive entry level planar magnetic headphones like Hifiman HE4XX or Deva?
Any thoughts, advice, suggestions, admonitions etc. will be most appreciated.

Thanks!

Anyone here has experience with Activo CT10 DAP?

I am considering purchasing this to use primarily as a network streamer in my set up (see my signature; Pioneer SP-FS52 to be added soon) to play my FLAC albums (from micro SD), Spotify and (hopefuly) Tidal. I hope to use it also as a regular DAP, with wired and bluetooth headphones. It will cost me 10k.

Unfortunately, I wont be able to audition it before purchasing. Hence reaching out to forum members:
  1. As a network streamer, in terms of sound, is it likely to be on par with or better than the Allo Boss v1.2 (a similarly priced player)? Would the lack of RCA out and having to use a 3.5 mm to RCA cable, compromise the SQ significantly?
  2. CT10 seems to come with a built-in Tidal app and MQA capability. But to get a Tidal account, I am assuming I will still have to use a foreign VPN. Would that be very complicated on the CT10 as compared to smarphones / computers?
  3. Would the CT10 be able to satisfactorily drive entry level planar magnetic headphones like Hifiman HE4XX or Deva?
Any thoughts, advice, suggestions, admonitions etc. will be most appreciated.

Thanks!
This is not a popular player. I don’t think anyone in this forum had this to give an opinion. I think headfiyers may be more qualified in this area.

Haven’t seen or used it. But as I was curious I looked at the What HiFi review of this device (quite an extensive one) This reviewer seems to think it’s a mixed bag with excellent sonics, wifi and APTx Bluetooth streaming, poor UI, small touch screen.
their score:
  • Sound 5
  • Features 5
  • Build 2
It can be used as a USB DAC with your laptop. I could not find if it has enough Pre output To be used directly in a HiFi system.

Sounds like a good entry level DAP to me (@9999). But as Pasive Audio Enthusiast has suggested, user opinions from Head fi could help you decide if this is the one for you.

I just realised I haven’t been able to answer any of your three specific questions :( Sorry

I use an AK70 with my HiFi set up often. But have not tried it as a streamer. I am not sure if it’s possible to do this using an app on the phone. If anyone has experience or suggestions on this please share. (Pleas PM me so as not to divert this thread anymor than this)
My Thanks to PCA for raising this possibility of using a Wifi enabled DAP as a network streamer.

Haven’t seen or used it. But as I was curious I looked at the What HiFi review of this device (quite an extensive one) This reviewer seems to think it’s a mixed bag with excellent sonics, wifi and APTx Bluetooth streaming, poor UI, small touch screen.
their score:
  • Sound 5
  • Features 5
  • Build 2
It can be used as a USB DAC with your laptop. I could not find if it has enough Pre output To be used directly in a HiFi system.

Sounds like a good entry level DAP to me (@9999). But as Pasive Audio Enthusiast has suggested, user opinions from Head fi could help you decide if this is the one for you.

I just realised I haven’t been able to answer any of your three specific questions :( Sorry

Thanks for responding and no apology required :)

I am looking at a solution which does not involve using the a smartphone (i use only a feature phone) or laptop.

From any of the below adertised specs, can you make out whether it has enough 'pre output to be used directly with a Hifi system'?

DAC CHIPCirrus Logic CS4398
OUTPUT LEVEL1.85 Vrms
HI-RES SUPPORT24-Bit/192kHz
THD+N0.0005%
SNR115dB

Also, any experince in generally using a DAP as a Hifi source using 3.5 mm to RCA?

Thanks

Thanks,

I use an AK70 with my HiFi set up often. But have not tried it as a streamer. I am not sure if it’s possible to do this using an app on the phone. If anyone has experience or suggestions on this please share. (Pleas PM me so as not to divert this thread anymor than this)
My Thanks to PCA for raising this possibility of using a Wifi enabled DAP as a network streamer.

You are most wyelcome :)

I am not lookign to control the device using a smartphone (as i dont use one at the moment).

What are your thoughts with regard to using output from a DAP as source for your system? I assume you used a 3.5 mm to RCA cable to connect your AK70. Does the lack of an RCA out adversely affect the SQ?

Thanks

I realised that I should have made a single consolidated response to Goildenears! :( My bad. I am fairly new to the forum and dont post frequently. Kindly forgive

Thanks for responding and no apology required :)

I am looking at a solution which does not involve using the a smartphone (i use only a feature phone) or laptop.

From any of the below adertised specs, can you make out whether it has enough 'pre output to be used directly with a Hifi system'?

DAC CHIPCirrus Logic CS4398
OUTPUT LEVEL1.85 Vrms
HI-RES SUPPORT24-Bit/192kHz
THD+N0.0005%
SNR115dB

Also, any experince in generally using a DAP as a Hifi source using 3.5 mm to RCA?

Thanks

Thanks,
I am not very sure but 1.85V sounds a bit low for a Pre amp output.
hope to learn more from others who know more about output voltages from digital sources

You are most wyelcome :)

I am not lookign to control the device using a smartphone (as i dont use one at the moment).

What are your thoughts with regard to using output from a DAP as source for your system? I assume you used a 3.5 mm to RCA cable to connect your AK70. Does the lack of an RCA out adversely affect the SQ?

Thanks
I use the 3.5 mm to RCA and it sounds good. Not as good as a high quality stand alone DAC, but close.
i can not compare RCA out as the device does not have such an output. But it does have a USB out if I wish to take the digital signal out to a separate DAC etc. Haven't tried this though.

So, the main thing going for the Activo CT10 DAP is its SQ over headphones it seems? You could ask the Headfi forum about this DAP as suggested by Passive Audio Enthusiast. But the Headfi people may not be able to answer your questions about using it in a full HiFi set up. You could write to the manufacturer too.

So, the main thing going for the Activo CT10 DAP is its SQ over headphones it seems? You could ask the Headfi forum about this DAP as suggested by Passive Audio Enthusiast. But the Headfi people may not be able to answer your questions about using it in a full HiFi set up. You could write to the manufacturer too.
I use the 3.5 mm to RCA and it sounds good. Not as good as a high quality stand alone DAC, but close.
i can not compare RCA out as the device does not have such an output. But it does have a USB out if I wish to take the digital signal out to a separate DAC etc. Haven't tried this though.

Thanks.

I dont intend to use the Activo along with an external DAC. Already have Fiio D03K DAC for use along with a bluetooth receiver. I am hoping the DAC inside the Activo CT10 is better than the Fiio I have.

I am hoping some technically proficient FM would shed some light on the concerns raised by you as to whether the output voltage of the device is sufficient for the feeding the stereo amp properly :)

I am not too concerned anymore about how well device will drive headphones.

I decided to take my chance and placed an order for Activo CT10 before the sale closed last night :) Delivery is expected early August.

Regarding the MQA capability of the device, i had exchanged some emails with the MQA website as well as Activo's US customer support. I am reproducing it below for the benefit of fellow FMs.

Thanks for all the help!

Correspondence with Activo's US Customer Support:

"On Mon, Jul 13, 2020 at 9:59 PM Customer Support <[email protected]> wrote:
Hello xxxxxxxxxx

Thank you very much for contacting Customer Support.

The compact ACTIVO CT10 media unit is fully MQA certified.

It offers the fullest unfolding process of High-res audio through the unit's chipset hardware and operations software decoding process.

Therefore, you will be able to enjoy the highest MQA quality offered by Tidal Master through both live-streaming and offline content.

We hope the information outlined above is able to offer additional product insights for your reference.
On Mon, Jul 13, 2020 at 2:07 AM xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Dear Sir / Madam,

Is Activo CT10 capable of fully decoding MQA music files? That is, is it capable of the 1st, 2nd and 3rd unfolds? Or is it only capable of the 1st unfold?

Thanks,
xxxxxxxxxxx

--
For any additional questions or concerns, please do not hesitate to share them directly with us. Thank you.

Sincerely,

Customer Support Team
Invixion, Inc.

IRIVER | Astell&Kern | ACTIVO
North America

Correspondence with the MQA website:

"From: MQA Info <[email protected]>
Date: Tue, Jul 14, 2020 at 12:17 AM
Subject: Re: Activo CT10 by Astell & Kern
To: xxxxxxx>

Hi xxxxxxxxx.,

Yes, The Activo CT10 will decode and render MQA content up to the limit of its DAC.

Regards,

The MQA Team

Date: Monday, July 13, 2020 at 12:11 PM
To: MQA Info <[email protected]>

I am healthy and safe, thank you. Hope you are too!

I am grateful for the prompt response. I also read the material available at the link shared by you.

Forgive me for troubling you further. But am I correct in understanding that Activo CT10 is capable of 'Full Decoding' and 'MQA Rendering' as described in the link shared by you?

Thank you very much,
xxxxxxxxxxxxx

On Mon, Jul 13, 2020 at 7:06 PM MQA Info <[email protected]> wrote:
Hi xxxxxxxx,

I hope you are keeping healthy and safe!

Thank you for your note and interest in MQA.

The Activo CT10 is a fully capable MQA Certified product, meaning it will decode and render MQA content up to 24 bit/192kHz.

For playback details please see: http://bobtalks.co.uk/blog/science-mqa/mqa-playback/

Regards,

The MQA Team

Date: Monday, July 13, 2020 at 2:19 AM
Subject: Activo CT10 by Astell & Kern

Dear Sir / Madam,

Activo CT10 by Astell&Kern is mentioned on your website as one of the portable devices capable of playing MQA files.

Can you clarify whether it would be capable of the 2nd and 3rd unfolds? Or is it only capable of the 1st unfold?

Thanks,
xxxxxxxxxxx

it was 9990 at Headphonezone. Hope you got it for less.
The most prominent aspect of the reviews I read of this was the good SQ.
Proof is in listening of course. Looking forward to your impressions

I have been recommended Active C10 to use it as a DAP in my Car. I intend to connect it using Aux (3.5 mm)
How did your experience go with it?

Correspondence with the MQA website:

"From: MQA Info <[email protected]>
Date: Tue, Jul 14, 2020 at 12:17 AM
To: xxxxxxx>

Hi xxxxxxxxx.,

Yes, The Activo CT10 will decode and render MQA content up to the limit of its DAC.

Regards,

The MQA Team

Date: Monday, July 13, 2020 at 12:11 PM

I am healthy and safe, thank you. Hope you are too!

I am grateful for the prompt response. I also read the material available at the link shared by you.

Forgive me for troubling you further. But am I correct in understanding that Activo CT10 is capable of 'Full Decoding' and 'MQA Rendering' as described in the link shared by you?

Thank you very much,
xxxxxxxxxxxxx

On Mon, Jul 13, 2020 at 7:06 PM MQA Info <[email protected]> wrote:
I have been recommended Active C10 to use it as a DAP in my Car. I intend to connect it using Aux (3.5 mm)

I used it in my car only once. I had connected it via a Bluetooth and not via Aux. It was a terrible experience. It was very difficult to establish Bluetooth connection and it would frequently drop. I never tried after that.

Later, in the instruction booklet, I came across the following:

"Car audio Bluetooth connections are not supported."

"Avoid exposing the device to direct sunlight or extreme
temperatures (-10℃ - 50℃; 14°F - 122°F) such as the
inside of a car during the summer."

I actually don't use it as a mobile device. I use it primarily as a streamer for Tidal and it remains at home connected to my amplifier (3.5 mm to RCA).

I am no expert, but I really don't have any complaints about the sound. But I feel the battery is not particularly great and the touch screen is inconvenient to use because of its small size. Typing on the screen (for searching songs) is not something I look forward to.

I used it in my car only once. I had connected it via a Bluetooth and not via Aux. It was a terrible experience. It was very difficult to establish Bluetooth connection and it would frequently drop. I never tried after that.

Later, in the instruction booklet, I came across the following:

"Car audio Bluetooth connections are not supported."

"Avoid exposing the device to direct sunlight or extreme
temperatures (-10℃ - 50℃; 14°F - 122°F) such as the
inside of a car during the summer."

I actually don't use it as a mobile device. I use it primarily as a streamer for Tidal and it remains at home connected to my amplifier (3.5 mm to RCA).

I am no expert, but I really don't have any complaints about the sound. But I feel the battery is not particularly great and the touch screen is inconvenient to use because of its small size. Typing on the screen (for searching songs) is not something I look forward to.
Very important information, thanks!

Check out our special offers on Stereo Package & Bundles for all budget types.
Back