Advice B&W 685 S2- NEW YORK worth?

seker

Friends and seniors,
I currently own zensor 3. Friend of mine is travelling from new york tomorrow. I searched everywhere could get only this deal in last minute:sad:
My friend last night confirmed that he can carry 20kg otherwise I could have ordered a Sierra1 or a MA silver1 to match my Arcam A19.
685s2 for USD 650 since its is white pair showroom guys are letting it go for 50usd less on the current price.
Confused. So thought to check here. posting after long..

I believe the number of bags and their dimensions also have restrictions, not just the weight. Do check on that.
There might be an extra charge though it may still be worth it.

@ seker

Sounds like a nice sweet deal.....B&Ws 685 s2 sell for close to 69k here in India with 5 years warranty.....AudioVision India...maybe cheaper elsewhere....

Check on the restrictions bit, i am sure every airline has their own rules and process....then take a call...

Package dimensions17.0" 21.0" 18.0" (35.0 lbs.).
That much is allowed I guess :)

Yes, the limit is 50lbs and l+b+w=59" for Emirates Economy class. Need to check for specific airlines and class. Btw, you can assume that TSA will open and check the package (and leave a note).

have you heard the said speakers? what are the other options available? white color is difficult to maintain so take consideration of that.

Friends and seniors,
I currently own zensor 3. Friend of mine is travelling from new york tomorrow. I searched everywhere could get only this deal in last minute:sad:
My friend last night confirmed that he can carry 20kg otherwise I could have ordered a Sierra1 or a MA silver1 to match my Arcam A19.
685s2 for USD 650 since its is white pair showroom guys are letting it go for 50usd less on the current price.
Confused. So thought to check here. posting after long..
I don't think its a very good deal.
$650 would be around 40k. Extra luggage 124$ will be 8k additional. If customs is not charged which can range from 4k to 8k (I haven't seen anyone paying 41% till now) even if you negotiate considering the Indian price. I was quoted 64k in Hyderabad pre GST. I didn't like the speakers paired with Marantz 8xxx series stereo amp.

If you've heard the speakers paired with Arcam amp and you like the speakers, then very well go ahead. If not you can search for better speakers with your amp for audition.

Sent from my Redmi Note 3 using Tapatalk

@LobsterB it's Etihad airlines economic he said that he has 2 check in bag allowance. Each 23kg. One his personal began this one.

@JayaRaa i had heard them few years back when I was in a hunt for upto 60k range speakers . This one sounded slightly better than my zensor 3. And currently I have the FMJ 19 with zensor 3 hope this will do so improvement. No other options currently there because this is last 2 days process. I did calling few delears but they don't other colours or BRAND ready for immediate pickup in NYC.

@cha_indian I'm afraid of 124usd large on large size box.

I'm at work today otherwise I could heard them using my amp in bangalore somewhere!

i'd advice you look at monitor audio, focal and kef options available locally and give these a miss.

Update he told me that there is also a pair of B&W CM1 S2 but that is USD 825 ie INR 53K. though it's a CM series I won't be OK with 5" drive.
@JayaRaa all overpriced or above my budget for example if I need MA Sliver 1Lac and above.

Please advise.

would recommend the cm1 any day over 685. the option of adding subwoofer is always there in future to give bass boost to them. btw what is the size of your room?

am wondering how cm1 availability suddenly when you told shop that you were not interested in 685. probably they are trying to sell stuff that is not moving easily locally. if you say no to cm1, then something else also might be available??? just asking - pls dont mind

I saw this opinion in Whats HiFi:

"

Definitely audition them.

I was deciding between the CM1 and 685. I thought the CM1 had good sound staging and more detail than the 685s putting more air/space around the instruments, etc. Bass was good for a speaker that size, but I preferred the 685s for the more accurate bass response and I just felt that although it didn't create so much air around the individual strands of the music, it had nice timbre and warmth while still revealing all the details. More musical?

It is down to personal tastes. My last speakers were brighter and more detailed, so this time around I went for something warmer. "

These are the only 2 available. The sale guy is been kind enough with my enquiry. But he says now that the these offer he has never given to anyone since my friend said India customs bla bla. He offered this it looks like.
For pickup only these 2 are available

Package dimensions17.0" 21.0" 18.0" (35.0 lbs.).
That much is allowed I guess :)

1. Two Infinity bookshelves were carried, one in each trolley bag, from USA with bubble wrapping. Each speaker weighed about 7 kg each. size 15*11*8 inches.

2. I also got my Emotiva amp TA100 with original carton in a trolley bag from USA. 21*18*7 inches carton. 8 kgs.

3. Recently I got Emotiva BASX sub S10 in original carton as part of check in baggage. Around 18 kg against 23 kg allowed. Dimension of carton in inches 21*19*20. Max allowed in Lufthansa is 63 inches all added up. I got confirmation from their customer care thru e mail that i can carry the carton without any additional charge.

In all cases No extra charge by airlines and no customs duty at Delhi/Mumbai airport. Pl check dimensions from Airlines website and in case of doubt get it in writing by mail if you donot carry the item in a regular baggage.

TSA had opened all baggage including carton in USA and put their inspection slip. In subwoofer carton I had also placed the invoice copy and beyond cutting the tape and just opening the carton they didnot do anything as it was left packed in the way I had packed it.

Of course you forgo carrying other items for this.
all were carried on three different trips.

Last edited:
A beautiful, well-constructed speaker with class-leading soundstage, imaging and bass that is fast, deep, and precise.
Back