Advice Bowers and wilkins in wall and onkyo avr

Spen118

Hello everyone I am renovating a house and building a 5.1 surround sound in one room and adding speakers in two more. I currently have b&w cwm800 x2
Cwm 650x2 and ccm80x4.
I am still upgrading my speakers buying and selling as I go.
My big question is I'm dedicating a wall to the system bringing the hole wall out 300mm to be able to sink the tv and speakers into it I will also build in shelves for the avr Xbox ect. The rest of the wall I will build book shelves in.
Sine I will have so much space behind the speakers should I build a enclosure if so what out of ply mdf? Or just put small b&w ones behind it or just let them use the space. I'm yet to buy a sub and the avr but looking at the onkyo 1010 or 3010. Any advice would be more than welcome.

Spen, you question is a little confusing. 300mm is just 11 inches. There is not much you can do with it.

For speakers, the best would be to build a enclosure as per specifications set by the manufacturer. This enclosure can be filled with glass wool to reduce vibrations.

The rest of the wall - you can do what you want, though it does make sense to use a combination of ply and sound absorbing material.

Cheers

Sorry if I come across confusing. Most in wall speakers are designed to fit in walls with 100mm of room behind it some 150mm as I will have 300-350mm I wanted to know if I could use the space to make them sound better. I also just brought a polk audio csw200 sub to go with it. This should go in floor boards but I have the room to fit it in the wall.
I have read things about infinite baffle were building a box over a certain size is pointless. Thanks Spen

Don't leave more space behind speakers than the manufacturer recommends. 100-150 mm is enough. More space is likely to ruin the sound. Every in-wall speaker comes with clear instructions. follow them. You must fill excess space with hardwood and polyester wool.

Join WhatsApp group to get HiFiMART.com Offers & Deals delivered to your smartphone!
Back