Advice for Stereo setup for music

skroderider

Hello everyone,

First of all I would like to thank all the members here for the immense help and expertise they provide.

I am a beginner in hifi audio, and now want to build up my hardware slowly. A few years ago I bought a Rega RP1 after being bitten by the vinyl bug. At that time I went for active speakers with a separate phono amp. The speakers sound good but now I want to go to the next level. I'm thinking of separates. Maybe I should have gone for separates at that time itself, but no point in revisiting that now :)

There are some things which I think I am clear about (goals) and others which I'm totally ignorant of (the actual buying).

Ideally I also want to be able to play my digital sources on the same setup - these are mostly CDs in ripped form and hi-res files bought online, stored on hard disk(s). I have not figured out this part yet, but my tentative plan is to use something like a RPI-based DAC setup that I can control from my phone.

I intend to use this purely for music. Primary genres include classic and hard rock, metal, 70's/80's pop, pre-90's Bollywood, regional folk music, and western classical. My room size is 21 x 12 feet, but some of it opens up into the dining hall, as in, there is a partition along half of the longer wall. Not sure how much that will matter. I am looking at something I won't be changing for a while, so I am open to investing in a good stereo amp all of whose features I might not use right now.

I have a CD collection but prefer to rip them and play the ripped files, preferably from a USB/hard drive.

Please do point out if any of my goals seem misguided - will be happy to be corrected. At some point in the future I intend to add a cassette player to the mix, but my primary sources for the time being will be vinyl and digital files.

My budget is 50k for both speakers and amp, and I'm open to used equipment. I'm looking for suggestions for both speaker and stereo amp. I have read good things about Norge amps, and I am inclined towards floorstanding speakers.

Sorry for the long post and thanks in advance.

Hi,

Given your preference for Norge amps and floorstanders, my recommendation is:

1. Norge 1000 Gold
2. Wharfedale Diamond 230 speakers

This will stretch your budget by 10k. Also, you will need to spare money for a good stabilizer, interconnects and speaker cables.

If 50k is a hard limit, and you want to fit all this in the bill, then you can consider Norge 1200 Pre/Power combo + Norge floorstanders instead of the above pair.

Good luck!

For Hard rock, pop and classical go for speakers with good low end or ideally if budget permits go for sealed 2 way speakers and a subwoofer. This way you can listen to bollywood and folk music on bookshelf and have alternative if you feel rock and pop needs little low end. Some Western Classical can be demanding on speakers. and that will require high power amplifier too. See if you can first decide on good speakers. All the best.
Regards

A possibility to considerin addition to norge
.Either start with a quality spkr or amp .May have to stretch by 6k to 10k over your budget.
Some of the international brands have inherent advantages of standby mode,low power consumption,remote thats fairly robust and easier to get audition depending on where you are located.
nad316bee amp (Google for reviews;Sub not possible to connect but may not be needed as I do listen many generes)with used bookshelf spkrs like wharfdale diamond or qacoustics or equivalent.
Note : I have no affiliations.

Hello everyone,

First of all I would like to thank all the members here for the immense help and expertise they provide.

I am a beginner in hifi audio, and now want to build up my hardware slowly. A few years ago I bought a Rega RP1 after being bitten by the vinyl bug. At that time I went for active speakers with a separate phono amp. The speakers sound good but now I want to go to the next level. I'm thinking of separates. Maybe I should have gone for separates at that time itself, but no point in revisiting that now :)

There are some things which I think I am clear about (goals) and others which I'm totally ignorant of (the actual buying).

Ideally I also want to be able to play my digital sources on the same setup - these are mostly CDs in ripped form and hi-res files bought online, stored on hard disk(s). I have not figured out this part yet, but my tentative plan is to use something like a RPI-based DAC setup that I can control from my phone.

I intend to use this purely for music. Primary genres include classic and hard rock, metal, 70's/80's pop, pre-90's Bollywood, regional folk music, and western classical. My room size is 21 x 12 feet, but some of it opens up into the dining hall, as in, there is a partition along half of the longer wall. Not sure how much that will matter. I am looking at something I won't be changing for a while, so I am open to investing in a good stereo amp all of whose features I might not use right now.

I have a CD collection but prefer to rip them and play the ripped files, preferably from a USB/hard drive.

Please do point out if any of my goals seem misguided - will be happy to be corrected. At some point in the future I intend to add a cassette player to the mix, but my primary sources for the time being will be vinyl and digital files.

My budget is 50k for both speakers and amp, and I'm open to used equipment. I'm looking for suggestions for both speaker and stereo amp. I have read good things about Norge amps, and I am inclined towards floorstanding speakers.

Sorry for the long post and thanks in advance.
Hi skroderider, if you are visiting Chennai do drop in at my place, have few excess integrated amp and speakers (used ) which if interests you can work out something.
Thanks

Hi,

Given your preference for Norge amps and floorstanders, my recommendation is:

1. Norge 1000 Gold
2. Wharfedale Diamond 230 speakers

This will stretch your budget by 10k. Also, you will need to spare money for a good stabilizer, interconnects and speaker cables.

If 50k is a hard limit, and you want to fit all this in the bill, then you can consider Norge 1200 Pre/Power combo + Norge floorstanders instead of the above pair.

Good luck!

Thanks. I am not bent on Norge - it's just that I have heard good things about them. I can probably save more and stretch my budget - but I'm keen on spending on a good pair of speakers first, and then look at the amp.

For Hard rock, pop and classical go for speakers with good low end or ideally if budget permits go for sealed 2 way speakers and a subwoofer. This way you can listen to bollywood and folk music on bookshelf and have alternative if you feel rock and pop needs little low end. Some Western Classical can be demanding on speakers. and that will require high power amplifier too. See if you can first decide on good speakers. All the best.
Regards

Do you have any suggestions for good speakers in my budget ?

Primary genres include classic and hard rock, metal, 70's/80's pop, pre-90's Bollywood, regional folk music, and western classical
Please look at Wharfedale diamond 225, Elac debut B6 V1. Both cost under 30K for new.
Castle knight 2 are also a very good speakers in this range.

This should be a matching amplifier for the speakers

I did looked for if any sealed bookshelf are available. Unfortunately all are ported. NHT are I guess sealed bookshelf. In my naive understanding reason for sealed was that comparatively those can be integrated easily with subwoofer. Will search further and update. But do listen to them then buy. As listening preference can be subjective.
In my personal and newbie experience speakers should be liked immediately. If not and listened to for few weeks we get used to the sound.
Best regards

If you do want to look for sealed, a Wanted thread might help.
Someone might even want to sell one of the GR Research builds that many did a few years back.

GR Research bookshelf were ported. But must say they were very well designed with quality speaker drivers
Regards.

Sorry, my bad.
I remember FM Gijo George had a sealed N2X. I kinda assumed all would be sealed.

Hi skroderider...welcome here.

I really wish you could end up with a good used system under 50k that will keep you happy in the long run. But Iam sorry to be the bearer of bad news. I just want to be honest with you, so you don't commit the same mistakes I've done. In my humble opinion it is difficult to get a good used setup for 50k. So I would suggest you either get a good amp and mediocre speaker or a good and effecient speaker with a mediocre amp to get going. So when funds next become available, you know where you skimped today, and just need to upgrade that.

I would personally go for a highly effecient speaker any day. No point buying a good speaker of low sensitivity, and then again spend big money on powerful amplification to get it going .

So if I were in your shoes, I would start looking for good used effecient speakers. And second most important thing in this hobby is to be patient. Do your research, identify your speaker. And then wait till it appears for sale section. All the best bro :)

Hi skroderider...welcome here.

I really wish you could end up with a good used system under 50k that will keep you happy in the long run. But Iam sorry to be the bearer of bad news. I just want to be honest with you, so you don't commit the same mistakes I've done. In my humble opinion it is difficult to get a good used setup for 50k. So I would suggest you either get a good amp and mediocre speaker or a good and effecient speaker with a mediocre amp to get going. So when funds next become available, you know where you skimped today, and just need to upgrade that.

I would personally go for a highly effecient speaker any day. No point buying a good speaker of low sensitivity, and then again spend big money on powerful amplification to get it going .

So if I were in your shoes, I would start looking for good used effecient speakers. And second most important thing in this hobby is to be patient. Do your research, identify your speaker. And then wait till it appears for sale section. All the best bro :)

Thank you for sharing your insights. I'm leaning towards buying a good pair of new speakers first, and go for a used amp with my current budget.

Thanks all for sharing your insights and suggestions. When it comes to hifi jargon I'm just a kid :) so I did not understand many of the terms even after googling.

After reading through this and other threads, I think it makes sense to spend more on speakers, preferably new ones, and go for a used amp. The Wharfedale 230 floorstanders are 45k on Hifimart - which does not leave much for an amp at my current budget. The bookshelves are lesser, and I think hifimart has a sale going on in bookshelves.

Please look at Wharfedale diamond 225, Elac debut B6 V1. Both cost under 30K for new.
Castle knight 2 are also a very good speakers in this range.

This should be a matching amplifier for the speakers

Thank you. I'll try to audition these combos first. Any suggestions from Hyderabad folks on good places to do so?

Purchase the Audiolab 6000A Integrated Amplifier at a special offer price.
Back