Advice needed: First Turntable and speakers buy

glasnost

Hello all,

I am thinking of buying a good amp, speakers system as well as a turntable rig. I have a very old system - Philips Powerhouse (which to me had "decent" speakers). But am looking to buy some good speakers and a decent amp, which is also turntable compatible.

Can anyone post links to some good system options I can go in for? I am looking at a budget of about 40-50K for the speakers. I would also need advice on the turntable I could buy - something that would be available in Mumbai would be good.

My listening tastes include classical music - mostly violin, and piano (which is where most of the vinyl music would be), and I listen to all sorts of other music cept for "death/gothic metal".

I am not sure about the right questions to ask - so would be very happy if someone pointed out posts that I need to consult, or howtos to consider for building up an audio system over time.

--
Rgds

Need few basic minimum information e.g.

- Room size
- SS or Valve amp?
- Budget for amp & TT set up

The speaker (BS) in 40-50k price range may be :

Epos M12i
PSB Imagine

Last edited:
For a budget of 40-50 k u can get a wide range of floorstanders ,,, audition these following brands
1. Polk Rti Series at Profx
2. Wharfedale diamond 9 and 10 series at Alliance 4 , Opp dn nagar police stn, Anheri west
2. Mordaunt short aviano 6, dali s and paradigm at Viola, The Shop at DN Nagar (same address,, near by shops)

and
For Turntable,, for a budget of abt 15-18 k... u can get the best audiophile grade TT, i.e Pro-Ject Debut III

I would suggest to invest wisely on amp and speakers maximum of your money. Do plenty of audition and buy new stuff (integrated amp and bookshelf). I am currently inclined towards Yamaha A-S500. Also look for some good models from Marantz.

For TT initially start with a vintage used one. Plenty of options are available in Mumbai. Many of our forum members(like Hemant, Malvai) can help you here.

After sometime you can upgrade to a better TT.

For Turntable,, for a budget of abt 15-18 k... u can get the best audiophile grade TT, i.e Pro-Ject Debut III

Yes, at this pricepoint Project Debut-III is a decent VFM TT. You may try it with Ortofone 2M Red cartridge. It sounds good.

Last edited:
Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Walnut finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back