Advice Needed : My Car music system lacks punch

edjamesx

Hi guys,

This is my setup and my car is VW POLO.
Kenwood Ddx514 Touchscreen
Rockford fosgate 4 channel amplifier 50w RMS. - In Boot space ( connected to polk SUB)
Rockford fosgate PRIME series (Full range speakers-rounded) 40w RMS , Fronts/rear. Connected in Front/Rear Doors.
Polk audio SUB - In Boot space

Initialy my plan to go for components in the front. My installer intialy intalled Hertz components in the front and HErtz coaxials in the rear.
Components were connected to AMP, and coaxials connected to HU.
The sound was hurrible. The BASS was boomy and highs were very thin and irritiating my ears. So I asked him to show some other speakers.

He showed me Polk components. I some how didnt like the sound from components since the highs were not balanced with BASS as in coaxials.Not sure whether its a tuning issue. I felt Coaxials better for my listening taste.

Hence I asked him to show coaxial speakers. He showed many brands ..out of it i shortlisted Polk and Rockford fosgate.

After listening many times i felt Rockford fosgate handles better than Polk speakers and sounded nice. I went with it.

Even though this setup is good somehow there's a lack of punch in highs and midrange. I previously owned Pioneer HU/speakers there it played louder and good. That kind of punch is lacking in this setup.

My AMP is connected to SUB in bridged mode.Installer didnt connect coaxials to AMP even though my AMP has another output left ,since the speakers i selected is 40w RMS and since he told connecting to AMP doesnt make much difference i just left it. Is it true ?

I told the installer that my system lacks punch. And he even connected Rockford fosgate punch series speakers (60w RMS)to me and still there's a lack in punch. Finally he is telling me to replace the Head Unit and suggesting me to switch to Pioneer.

Guys, I need the serious advice from you. Where is the problem?.

Is it Installation problem / Tuning / Or Speaker issue? (out of speakers he has shown Rockford sounded best among ). I tried tuning in different ways still doesnt improve.My Polk SUB works well and punch BASS well. Only speakers lack punch.

If I go with higher watts speakers, will it improve sound quality with my existing setup?.
Or, Do I need to change HU as installer is saying?.

Last edited:
first thing to try

tell the installer to connect the remaining two channels of the 4 channel amp to the co axials
this will cost nothing! ( well except for some labour costs and some wiring)

this SHOULD make a differnce
and yes you can connect 40rms speakers to an amp
just be sane enough not to blast the volume to ensure you dont go into clipping

i have not been a fan on the kenwood touchscreens but since you have spent money on that i would not advice you to sell at a loss
For audio i prefer Alpine or clarion and for more modest budgets a pioneer

it seems you dont like brighter sounds and are more intrested in "accurate"
music
P.S hertz always hurtz me too- i find them real bright too
if you are really this serious

you would require components upfront
look at Illuison Audio ( Electras )
or
Focal Access A1 6.5" Component Speakers

now use ALL four channels of the amp to drive these components speakers
bridge 2 channels each ( from the 4 channel amp ) to end up with 2 channels to feed the compos

now get a MONOBLOCK amp for the subwoofer

let the rear dorr coaxials be fed by the HU as they currently are

you now have a rocking system

Last edited:
first thing to try

tell the installer to connect the remaining two channels of the 4 channel amp to the co axials
this will cost nothing! ( well except for some labour costs and some wiring)

Thanks magma.
If i connect 50 Watts AMP to 40w RMS speakers wont it blow out speakers?.
Whats the safe volume level would be to not to blow out speakers?.

Have Another question...
In my old car I had installed Pioneer speakers in the Boot space (in side walls). And It really sounded nice .It was louder and clean. That speakers and my current speakers are in same range , same watts ...etc. But Somehow atleast this speakers should have sounded as my previous speakers. But that's not sounding right. Only difference is my current speakers are installed in my Doors instead of boot space.
The BASS is not sounding right in doors. Its producing 'hum' sound..not a real BASS like 'BUM' 'BUM'... And When installer showed me in the showroom it was sounding right..But when it's installed in Doors, the 'hum' sound starts and it increases as volume increases. And the sound is not at all clear. it make it Boom and gets distoreted easily. But there are no installation problem , speakers are screwed perfectly and no vibrations in the Door.The way it sound is not good.
Will damping the door make it right?..Anyway i am going to upgrade to component speakers in the front.

Follow HiFiMART on Instagram for offers, deals and FREE giveaways!
Back