Advice needed on Few doubts (Screen & Room)

jeemonpaul

Hi
i have few doubts ,i recently bought a home theater set up which consist -optoma es551 projector/onkyo tx sr313 hd av receiver/wharfedale vardus speaker package with a sony bdv e 290 bd 3d player.
now the problem start with my room, the room size is 8 ft by 18 ft. so i can hardly fix a 100 inch screen in width wise.

now please advice whether the room will handle the sound ? if not which will be inexpensive way to make the room echo proof ?

another question is am not planning to invest any more money for screen until i build a dedicated room for the set up ,

for the time being how i will make a temporary projector screen. am not able to find any store who sell the black out cloth .can i use flex board sheet for the same ????

is there is any picture quality difference between flex and black out cloth? am planning to fix the custom made flex with the black boarders of 100 inch /72 inch
another question whether to make a 16:9 or 4:3 screen as the native of my projector is 4:3 i think there will be option for switching it to 16:9. what will be your advice about the screen aspect ratio ?

another question is my sony Bdv E290 comes with speakers so can i use the speakers as height channels ( I know it will not work as a 9.1 or 10.1 Channel) will that make any distortion to the AV reciver and the speakers of the HT system ??

thank you for the advice . can you advice me with the cheap projection screen material???

can i use flex board sheet ??? which is very easy to find and white in colour..

thank you for the advice . can you advice me with the cheap projection screen material???

can i use flex board sheet ??? which is very easy to find and white in colour..

I saw a DIY screen which was very nice. Do not remember the material used. Will search for the thread again and post here.

I am using my white wall which has a little shade of silver in it. Looks perfect and can be painted again if it gets spoiled. I guess it will cost around Rs. 300 to paint an entire wall with that colour. Cannot comment about other materials as I did not use one. Flex seems to be a good option but I think it may reflect the projector light.

actually my room size is 8 ft wide and 18 feet in length. and where i want projet the image is already taken by i door and 2 windows soo the paining thing is not gona work out.

i want to block the area with a thin plywood and have to fix a screeen on a frame.

can you tell me where i can find curtain black out cloth ? online ?

am not able to find any online store for that....every one says black out cloth is the 2nd best option other then a costly projector screen.

can you tell me where i can find curtain black out cloth ? online ?

am not able to find any online store for that....every one says black out cloth is the 2nd best option other then a costly projector screen.
Yes blackout fabric is excellent as a projector screen. But it is not cheap.
Did you search for local stores that sell "blinds"? For getting it shipped, try contacting dealers via www.indiamart.com or www.tradeindia.com

Flex though cheap has a shiny surface. It will reflect light and you will see shiny patches at various places depending upon the viewing angle (sitting position).

Just try painting the plywood with a matte off white paint. That should do a pretty good job.

thanks..i got the fabric now do you have any idea about how to stretch , is there anyone who did a DIY screen which can be take out and cleaned ?? plz share ....

thanks..i got the fabric now do you have any idea about how to stretch , is there anyone who did a DIY screen which can be take out and cleaned ?? plz share ....

Can u share which fabric exactly mate and the size u bought(both width and height)? `If normal blackout cloth, there wont be much stretching possible from what I have heard.

Regards
Imrahn

For a 4:3 screen -- with 100 inch width-- translates to 75 inches high

If you are going with 72 inches high-- because you want to wrap 2 inches on top and bottom-- then you need to go with 96 inches wide to keep the same 4:3 ratio.

This means that your finished screen shall be 96 inches wide by 72 high.

For the Frame use 1 inch deep by 4 inch wide wood strips. Make sure you sand all surfaces smooth. Use minimum of 5 inch L brackets at the corners to hold the frame in place.

they have already dispatched the screen already... :sad: now i will have to stitch 2 inches of some other fabric for stretching the screen ......

any more advises for a starter ??????

please advice..

I would strictly advice against stitching and all on the screen material.There are very high chances of something going wrong and ruining ur entire purchase.Better go for slightly smaller size like 95 inch wide which gives a 119" diagonal screen which is quite large enough IMHO.

Actually the plan was to fill the area by leaving 2 inches each side and fix it for a better look...
do i have any other choice to go ahead with my 100 inch dream ??

If your screen material is like most other screen material-- it will stretch-- and definitely you can get a 104 inches width (100 inch screen plus 4 inches wrap around) and 79 inches height (75 inch screen plus 4 inches wrap around)out of it..

Lay your screen material against your frame of 100 inch width and 75 inch height-- and start from the top middle and attach to the frame using staples nails for about 6 inches-- repeat at the bottom middle for about 6 inches

Move to the left middle and attach to the frame for about 6 inches-- repeat at the right middle. The screen should be tight against the frame-- with no wrinkles-- take your time doing this. Move up 6 inches and down 6 inches on the left and right side of the frame

After about 2 feet or so --Switch to the top and bottom of the screen-- Continue in 6 inch increments-- working back and forth on the top and bottom of the screen. The screen should be tight against the frame-- with no wrinkles-- take your time doing this.

Repeat pattern every 2 feet or so- switching from "top & bottom" to "left & right

The corners should be the last thing that you do.

THANK you thtpro .......

Thank you all....

one more question - how many feet above the floor i should keep the bottom of screen ?

THANK you thtpro .......

Thank you all....

one more question - how many feet above the floor i should keep the bottom of screen ?

Be extra careful while stretching the material.... margin of error is very less and do it with care so that no wrinkles get it.Wrinkles get highlighted very much and keep you distracted while watching movies.

Also, the bottom position depends on the overall height of the wall u are gonna place the screen and the offset of the PJ.I guess u are ceiling mount.In that case,

total wall height - [ceiling mount height + PJ lens offset + total height of the screen]

gives the position of the bottom edge of the screen from the ground.

thank you imrahn

but the calculation i just couldnt digest as am just a beginner...

can you explain it in a easy way ???

11.25 inches is goin to be the off set.

shall i project a image on the screen befor putting the PJ into the ceiling ???
right after i get the 100 inch picture i can fix the projector on the ceiling ???

A beautiful, well-constructed speaker with class-leading soundstage, imaging and bass that is fast, deep, and precise.
Back