Advice needed on purchasing speakers from US

maheeinfy

Hello friends,
I have a friend who is coming to India from US in a month. I am planning to get a pair of floor standing speakers - Monitor audio or Paradigm. I know that weight is a problem but I m thinking I can pay for over baggage. However I am not sure about customs. Since the item will be in packed box, will it pose a problem. He will land in Bangalore airport.
I am considering getting from US because Indian dealers r quoting insane prices. Even if I am forced to pay that customs(I was told 10-15% of item's cost), it will still be cheaper than what I'd pay to the dealer.
Please advise.
Also I m starting with setting up my HT. So I will be adding AVR, Sub and Surrounds later. I may also try to get surrounds from US. I m leaning to buy AVR and Sub in India only due to operating voltage limitations.
Please advise in case my approach towards setting up HT is not right. Thanks

Last edited:
Hi

You may pay for customs and weight...what about warranty? That is important nowadays...you should explore other dealers and see if you can get the same cheaper....elsewhere....

What is the difference in price between Indian vs us prices.

Factor the following

A) airlines extra baggage cost if your friend has his own baggage to take up the allowed limit. Check the airlines rules for baggage size as a speaker might be large enough to be treated as falling under the extra large category. Also the number of bags allowed as the weight may not be an issue but you can be charged for the number.

B) customs : if your friend is not carrying any other items attracting duty then 35 k will be deducted from the speakers invoice value and balance charged at 36.05%

Of course for small items intended for personal use the customs officers are usually friendly and allow you to go through. I must mention that when I say friendly they are genuinely friendly and no hanky panky:)

Thanks for all the responses :)
My friend doesn't have any check in luggage, so he can bring 2 floor standing speakers as 2 check in luggage. Both fall under 23kg limit so weight is not a problem.
My only concern is customs. Each tower costs around 500 $. So i will be paying

1000$ = 60000 Rs ..minus 35k = 25k...36% of this = Around 9k. If i am right, then i think its ok, compared to what i pay locally.

Also, i wanted to know if there are any Indian brands that make good floor standing speakers. I've heard of Sonodyne but not sure. I am ready to purchase locally as well, if i am convinced that they are as good as(per reviews) MA or Paradigm

Hi Maheeinfy

You would need to check out local Home Theatre dealers within your area and where possible audition some floor standers like Polk Rti A7, B&W, Wharfedale, Boston Acoustics etc to hear the difference and compare performance...

There are also a lot of online videos to see and read reviews over the internet if you have shortlisted some models in your mind.....

Most important factors to consider are:
1) The impedance of the speakers should be same or more than the AVR/Amp...this will avoid any technical over heating issues.
2) Sensitivity of speakers needs to be 88db or more...this will ensure instant pickup and performance and put less strain on the AVR/amp
3) Speakers need to perform across all frequencies...20hz - 20khz...look out for models which have the maximum or all frequency coverage
4) The output watts (RMS) of the Speakers need to be atleast 25% - 60% more than the AVR/Amp

Good subwoofers would be SVS or Velodyne Impact 12 or Definitive Technology or Boston Acoustics AW650.....

Depending on your budget, room size and AVR, there are decent speaker packages available from Hifi Mart or you can do a mix and match.....

1000$ = 60000 Rs ..minus 35k = 25k...36% of this = Around 9k. If i am right, then i think its ok, compared to what i pay locally.

###
custom will check the price of that particular product in india then calculate duty.
you will be paying more than 9K...

@all
please correct me if I am wrong.

###
custom will check the price of that particular product in india then calculate duty.
you will be paying more than 9K...

@all
please correct me if I am wrong.

Customs goes by the local prices for popular items like TVs etc. I doubt if they will have a ready reconer for speakers. Even if they do, after deducting 35 K the duty will be low. Ensure that you are carrying the Commercial Invoice of the speakers to show customs.

I wouldn't recommend US for speakers like MA or Paradigm that you can readily get here...unless the savings is in the tune of 50% or thereabouts...

You may want to look at other brands like Harbeth, Vandersteen, Salk etc. which are not readily available here...but then you may worry about after-sales which is not a big issue, like George sir said, with speakers...

Follow HiFiMART on Instagram for offers, deals and FREE giveaways!
Back