Advice on buying Receiver to hear all frequencies at low volume

ps_sonic

Hi everybody! I recently saw a youtube video on purchase of amp Amplifier to Speaker Matching Tutorial | UniqueSquared.com - YouTube. The thing is the guy says we need 50% more power than the WPC(watts per channel) of speaker. I have a Polk TSI 300 speakers (rated 20-150max watts so I assume it is a 100 watts RMS speaker) My question is does that mean I have to get 100WPC (RMS) receiver for my speakers? Right now I have Yamaha 5.1 RX-V365 receiver rated (100 WPC total 500 watts) Though not give RMS in manuel:mad: I guess I must be getting 40% lower than that since it is an entry level amp. The other thing is when I drive high volume I am able to hear all frequencies but it doesn't please my wife with a baby around they ask to low the volume.At low volume I feel completely missing something.... My biggest confusion:confused: is if i upgrade my receiver can I here the same frequencies at low volume? PLZ HELP ME GUYS

My vote would go for Yamaha AVRs because I own one and I am extremely satisfied with it. Now coming to the frequency response at low level, there is a nice feature in Yamaha (I think other AVRs also have this but not sure) called Adaptive DRC. I am quoting some product description from Yamaha india site:

RX-A810 - AVENTAGE - Yamaha - India
Click on the "Features" tab.

Adaptive DRC (Dynamic Range Control)

Adaptive DRC automatically adjusts the dynamic range of the sound according to the volume level. This ensures that you hear clear dialogue and vocals, and all sound effects at comfortable levels. There is no need to adjust the volume level as you listen; everything from whispers to big explosions will be heard clearly and comfortably at the same volume setting. It also tones down loud TV commercials, and is ideal for low-volume, late-night listening, when you do not want to disturb others.

Hope this helps for your purchase decision. RX-A810 has been discontinued. I guess current available alternative is RX-A820.

Apart from product description, what I can say from my personal experience - when I turned on Adaptive DRC, it worked like a charm. All frequencies were clear to me at low volumes as well.

Please note, I am not associated to Yamaha or any of their business families.

Last edited:
Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Red Mahogany finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back