Advice on choosing between Swan M200MkIII vs. AudioEngine A5+ vs. Epoz Aktimate Mini+

Which speakers are best all-round (regardless of price)

• Swan M200MkIII

Votes: 3 25.0%
  • AudioEngine A5+

Votes: 4 33.3%
  • AktiMate Mini+

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other

Votes: 5 41.7%

• Total voters

Shadow

Hi all,

I'm trying to decide between Swan M200MkIII vs. AudioEngine A5+ vs. Epoz Aktimate Mini+.

I also understand that the price of the Mini+ is slightly higher. I've been desperately searching for comparisons and advice between these three sets of speakers but can find none. All reviews and advice are based off of either previous versions (such as A5 or M200MkII) or the reviewers themselves have not auditioned all three of the speakers.

I'm in the UK so it's extremely difficult to even find the M200MkIII or Mini+ for sale, let alone audition them!!

Initially I was trying to decide between the M200MkIII's and A5+'s. Reviews all favour the A5's (or A5+'s) but these were ALL in comparison to the M200MkII's and not M200MkIII's. The reason why the Mini+ is also in there (although a bit more expensive) is that I've heard that it's very difficult to get anything better at this price-range. If I wanted anything better, they would be substantially more expensive (thus the diminishing point of return seems to be set at around the Mini+'s). Has anyone actually auditioned all three? And does anyone know where I could buy the M200MkIII or Mini+ in the UK?

One thing about the Mini+ is the iPod integration really p*sses me off. If that wasn't there I would probably immediately jump and buy it over the other two. The aesthetic of how it looks on the outside also matters, but of course not over the sound quality. The M200MkIII and A5+ looks great, but the Mini+ is really glossy.

My price-range stops at ~300 so I want speakers that will last quite a while. These studio monitors are for desktop use with a desktop computer or laptop in a small/medium room. For this reason, I've been looking at speakers which are good for near field listening. However, I want them to have to ability to be used in a larger room also. As I've said, I'll mostly be using them with a computer so they will mainly be used for music and online videos, with the occasional movie or two. But I may move them to a bigger room to use with a living room home theatre and gaming so they should essentially be really good all-round speakers, whichever one.

Thanks in advance!

Back