Advice on HT Setup 5.1.2- Bookshelf or FS

Mac259

Hi I need to set 5.1.2 in my living room which extends into a foyer & dining area entire area is open. The sitting area could be 15×20 The ideal set up after going through several threads is 2 Floor Standers, Center channel, Sub, 2 Surround bookshelves at back Wall Mount & 2 ceiling speakers ( have false ceiling ). Concern is I have 10 ft long TV stand ,which stands at 3ft height from ground level, have to place floor standers in front of the stand, can some other speaker sitting on top of the stand deliver desired output instead of floor standees. I have gone through several threads but am confused in selection of speakers. I am open to mix & match of brands for optimum Movie and Less of Music experience.70% Movie 30% Music My budget only for FS,Center is 1.5lakhs. Request expert advice.

Regards
Mac
Bangalore

The door on the right side is going to be problem for FS placement. You can consider getting the FS 6 feet into the room, away from the TV wall to ensure that nobody accidentally topples it over.
I am assuming that you would turn the couch to face TV. Putting surrounds on rear wall wouldn't help as they are going to be at least 10 feet away. Side wall surrounds is likely to help more. Since surrounds usually are less sensitive, they would need a lot of amplification for desired volume if placed 10 feet away from listening position.

Thanks for the advice appreciate it.

Yes the couch will be facing the TV. Do You think I should go ahead with BookShelf instead, if no can you suggest Good FS and Center Brand/Model within a budget of 1.5L (AVR,Atmos,Side Speakers as suggested are not included in this budget)

Secondly Which Brand Cables to use for the setup.

Thanks again
Mac

Hi,
As mentioned by FM "arunkvivek", the door on the right side is a problem for FS. My suggestion to go with BookShelf + Center and save some money.
To cover up the area buy dual SUB.

Thanks

@Krishroy2004 @arunkvivek

Can you suggest some Brands/Models that I can audition for BookShelf maily for Movies and Netflix / Amazon Prime series. I Stay in Standalone Appartment so I cannot watch movies at a very high volume but require great speakers which can give me a good dialogue delivery at a minimal volume also.

Thanks
Mac

Last edited:
For bookshelf + center combo, you have sooo many options (Klipsch, Wharfedale, Elac Unifi, Q Acoustics, SVS) and each of them are just as good quality wise. But they all differ subtly in their sound signatures. You'll want to audition them or listen to at least a few before making a decision.

What I'd suggest:
- Bookshelves: look at 6-6.5" drivers.
- Center: look for a complementing center that has crystal clear dialog even at lower volumes. I'd mentioned 3 way design earlier but edited it since there are a lot of great 2 way design centers.

That said, there are great 2 way design and 5.25" drivers too. In my less than 2 years in this hobby, I can tell you this: spec sheets are totally irrelevant, and internet reviews are quite useless apart from pointing out obvious flaws. Sound is very subjective. :)

This is the list of bookshelf + center combos I'd ideally look at that price of under 1L
- SVS Prime (90-1L)
- Elac Unifi (1L+)
- Klipsch Reference Premier (RP-400+600C,80k)
- Fyne F500 + F500c (1L)
- KEF Q350 + 650c (under 1L)
- Emotiva B2 + C2 or B1 + C1 (60k)
- Q Acoustics 20 + Center (60k)
- Polk S20 + S30 (50k)

All of these I'd pair with 2*SVS SB1000 (1.1-1.2L) or 2*SB 2000 (1.4-1.5L). You could go budget and do 2*BIC F12 at under 80k, but there is a difference in quality.

This is a great shopping list, and honestly is above the budget you've given. But it shows the full range.

Last edited:
Do you intend to wall mount the bookshelves? If not, please go floorstanders. For the width available, you would get excellent sound stage if you move the speakers into the room, away from rear and sidewalls. If you are going to wall mount then go for models which have good wall mounting accessories.

Thanks a alot guys,

I'll audition them and give my views here,I'm personally more inclined towards FS will try and make changes/Alter to the TV unit (Lower White Platform)If my wife permits;) or Stick to BF Speaker's

Secondly I'm planning to ad a projector to the setup I'm worried if I install a projector screen it will cover the Bookshelf speakers (Wall Mount) and reduce the speaker performance - (Correct me if I'm wrong)

@arunkvivek @jr83

Please Advice on good FS Series/Model withing 1.5L (LCR) FS in Brands like SVS,Dali, Monitor Audi or others that you think are great for good movie experience and addresses of dealers where I can audition them

Thanks a lot again guys :)

Hi I need to set 5.1.2 in my living room

Do you already have a 5.1.2 AVR?

Hi I need to set 5.1.2 in my living room which extends into a foyer & dining area entire area is open. The sitting area could be 15×20

For your room dimensions, you should consider 7.1.2 set-up for a good movie experience (or) better a 7.1.4 layout for a more immersive experience..

What is your combined budget for AVR and speakers?..

Do you already have a 5.1.2 AVR?

For your room dimensions, you should consider 7.1.2 set-up for a good movie experience (or) better a 7.1.4 layout for a more immersive experience..

What is your combined budget for AVR and speakers?..

Hi Elangoas,

I haven't finalized on the AVR yet.

My total Budget Including the AVR,LCR,1 Sub 2 Side Surround and 2 Atmos is Max 3L.( WITHOUT PROJECTOR AND SCREEN)

I'd appreciate if can suggest me good FS for movies and supporting AVR to go with them.I know speakers are very personal but according to you which you think are the ones I should go audition.

Regards
Mac

Finally after years of wait got a pair of Q Acoustic Concept 40s thank you FMs

I've just got them from an online site so trying to setup the speakers as a newbie in HT took a while,to Start of with just purchased the LCR and a subwoofer after a few months will add on the surroundings and Atmos Speakers into the false ceiling.

But I'm facing a problem I'm using a Xiaomi Mi 65 inch tv I'm facing difficulty in ARC settings,have connected the tv to HDMI (ARC IN) and the other side of the cable to HDMI Out ARC on the AVR thought I'm able to see the contents on the tv sent through the AVR and I'm able to control the audio volume on the AVR but I'm not getting Audio from my TV to the speakers can expert FMs help me solving this issue would be really appreciated.

Thanks
Mac

Screenshot_2020-10-11-13-38-35-190_com.google.android.apps.photos.jpg

But I'm facing a problem I'm using a Xiaomi Mi 65 inch tv I'm facing difficulty in ARC settings,have connected the tv to HDMI (ARC IN) and the other side of the cable to HDMI Out ARC on the AVR thought I'm able to see the contents on the tv sent through the AVR and I'm able to control the audio volume on the AVR but I'm not getting Audio from my TV to the speakers
The video is not sent from TV to AVR (in ARC mode), just the audio is passed on from TV to AVR, let us decode that. What model AVR do you have?

Read the manuals of both the devices and do the basic config for enabling ARC, once this is done, update here it is still a problem. You may need to enable HDMI-CEC on both devices first and then a couple more options. It varies from device to device.

Get the Wharfedale EVO 4.2 3-Way Standmount Speakers at a Special Offer Price.
Back