Advice to beginner trying to find a TT

jvalente

Hi all,

I love to hear music and I've been finding it progressively hard to dive into a true listening experience. That said I started to dig and I've found the HiFi world.

I've decided to start by the TT and I'm aware of the several types that exist and the vintage touch vs. modern engineering. However I've got lost amongst all the details and by reading several posts on this forum I concluded that one should just start because its impossible to get it right at the beginning.

By reading this post I got that there are several brands that are better and now I just want to buy a decent TT to start for a fair price. This is where I'd like some advice.

I'm using the portuguese OLX to search for a deal and would like you guys opinion regarding value for the money and if the TT are decent to start.

I've found:
- Technics slbd22
- Philips 212
- Garrard whose model I can't identify
- Phillips 205
- Denon DP-297

Do you guys think any of this can be a good purchase?

Really appreciate you time!

Last edited:
I've got this opportunity of buying a Thorens TD160 MK2 with Ortfon element for 250. Do you guys reckon it is a good price?

What is the tonearm?

Depending on what is the tonearm, and the overall condition, 250 Euros should be a fair price. I'm assuming the Ortofon Element is in good working condition.

Do note that the 160 Mark II is a belt drive turntable with fully manual arm - no fancy semi or fully automatic arm movement. I hope you are OK with that? Is that what you're looking for, and not a direct drive? My 160 B Mark II has an ADC LMF2 tonearm. It is a very lightweight carbon fiber arm for high compliance cartridge. Soundwise, it is very fluid and dynamic and quite likeable.

But if you can find yourself a good Technics SL1200 for the same kind of money, I would say you should go for it. The sound of the 1200 is quite good. It is sturdy, arm is good enough to handle a variety of cartridges, it has built-in adjustments for all important parameters, starts and stops almost instantly, and there are many well-known mods to take its performance to a much higher level.

What is the tonearm?
Depending on what is the tonearm, and the overall condition, 250 Euros should be a fair price. I'm assuming the Ortofon Element is in good working condition.

It seems like I've lost the deal. Anyway, I'm looking at another one and once again I need some assistance.

The tonearm is the TP16, there is no cartridge on it. Do you guys think this is a good deal for the same 250?

What is the minimum that I'll have to spend on cartridge and needle? Can you guys spot something wrong by the looks of the pics?

20140114_200303.jpg

20140114_200312.jpg

20140114_200351.jpg

20140114_200402.jpg

20140114_200320.jpg

20140114_200339.jpg

20140114_200339.jpg

Do note that the 160 Mark II is a belt drive turntable with fully manual arm - no fancy semi or fully automatic arm movement. I hope you are OK with that?

jls001 yeah, I'm looking for a vintage belt drive experience. I hope this can be the first of many that I'll experiment with. Thank you so much for your feedback!

My advise, if you are looking for a good belt drive experience, the options should ideally be Thorens, Vintage AR XA or Linn. If you look up ebay.de, you may find some good deals on Thorens turntables (I have personally stayed away from the temptation to enter belt-drive country). You'd find the ARs on ebay.com but shipping from the United States is expensive. Linn LP12's of course are quite expensive.

Buy from India's official online dealer!
Back