Advise for upgrading from norge audio system

gautampatnaik

HI

I have Norge Mosfet Reference Amp and a pair of Norge Tower Speakers. This is my first Hi-Fi system. I exclusively listen to music only. I am happy with Norge but want to upgrade to higher models of amp and tower speakers for really classy listening. Also want to include a subwoofer.

My budget is Rs. 1.5 lakh for the package of amp+speakers+sub. I love heavy bass but not loud.

I seek your suggestion in the following

1. Upgradation is not intended just for owning international brands but should be worth the investment. The new setup to be a real difference in terms of my present setup. In this forum I have read Norge rated much high than Marantz.

2. Can just replacing any of the equipment's will render better sound quality. (May be change the amp only or change the speakers keeping the amp or just adding subwoofer)

3. Is it possible to add sub to present Norge Reference 2000 amp and what is the quality of output

Please advise upgraded audio set-up in terms of amp specs + tower speaker specs and sub woofer specs.

I live in Odisha and my nearest city for audition is Kolkata.

Thannx

Hi Gautam,

Given the budget you have for the new setup, you need to audition various brands of speakers, subs and amps to make an informed decision.

Strong Stereo amps are from Denon, Marantz, Arcam, NAD, Yamaha etc....better to carry your kind of music and start listing down models and brands that appeal to you...

Trust your ears and decide well

All the best...

thats quite a decent budget. for speakers you can look at kef q series, dali, monitor audio, psb...you can also look at used equipment. as for amps, youre looking at nad, cambridge, marantz. another really good amp is the acoustic portrait swara. at that price point, nothing to beat it. its an indian brand and since you specifically mentioned youre not particular about international brands, thats the one i would go with. make sure you have a good source in the mix. whats your current source

I would suggest you to come to Kolkata and audition the Polk RTiA7 and the Denon PMA 1520/720AE amplifier. You really won't require a sub with this set up. It is a warm sounding system with good control dynamics and space. Theres Xposure and Paradigm. Then there's Tannoy and Emotiva a great combination again and Tannoy goes good with Denon too. There's QAccoustic 3050/2050 with Cambridge CX60 a great great combo again....so on and so forth. These setups are well worth the money and it's money well spent here. I live in Kolkata if you need any assistance let me know!

Last edited:
Thanks Anuj for detailed info.

Kolkata will be ideal for me to try for AUDITION. Please share with me list of dealers of the AV equipments in Kolkata where I can have audition.

Thanx

What is your source? Digital or Analogue? If it is digital then are you using a DAC? If so which one?

Hang on to the amplifier for the time being, listen to some speakers first. Ideally carry your amplifier and listen to different speakers with it, may very well be that you will remain happy with the Norge.

Kolkata has a few places for audition now,
ProFx
Harmonie Audio
SKS Traders
Watteffects
Yamaha AV Square
Solfege
Promises

Listen to as many speakers as possible in your budget, there are quite a few options available.

Thanks Anuj for detailed info.

Kolkata will be ideal for me to try for AUDITION. Please share with me list of dealers of the AV equipments in Kolkata where I can have audition.

Thanx

There Mr Shibashish has laid out the perfect list. There's one more and that's Digital Accoustics the first or the oldest of the lot who does Tannoy and Emotiva amongst others.

For excellent sound that won't break the bank, the 5 Star Award Winning Wharfedale Diamond 12.1 Bookshelf Speakers is the one to consider!
Back