Ain't warped no more!

malvai

Banned
Banned
Hi guys!
Just thought i'd share this little corrective DIY experiment. And no I ain't talking 'bout me head!

I'm talking about the problem that affects every vinyl collector at some point of time - warped records.

It usually happens this way - the wife leaves a blind open to sunlight -making the poor lp turn to sunbathing instead of the turntable!

Punny stuff aside, if its a 'common' title, one simply scours the net, or the old mumbai (or wherever) pavements and simply replaces it...

But, what if its a hard to replace title like Miles' Birth of the Cool? :mad:

Worse! What if its sunbath has turned it into a very very warped leaf out of rare Jazz history, like so....

Warped 2.jpg

Then what you gotta do is simply glare at the wife. Reach into her wadrobe (at this point maintain the stare, don't lose eye-contact) and pull out her hair dryer. Then turn around in a huff and stride down to your work desk... (At this point if you wanna use your dining table, do so, coz she'd be sufficiently cowed down to not grumble about using the living room, until after you've done the corrective procedure!)

Now, what you gotta do is keep some heavy books (encyclopeadia*, dictionaries*, etc) handy.

Start blowing hot air from the dryer onto the afflicted areas for about 3-5 mins... Then, quickly put the heavy books on to the area (ensure that the surface below is flat as well, and ensure that the table and book surfaces are dust free or else the dust will embed itself permanently into the grooves...)

Keep the books on top like pic 2 for about 10 mins. Remove and check. The warp should have gone! If not, repeat process once more!

The tools.jpg

Now, this procedure does not correct the warp by a 100%. But in such a scenario, I for one, am happy with even the 95-98% correction (see below), as at least I can live with the LP until I find another clean copy! :yahoo:

Warp star.jpg

*Yes they were actually available in paper instead of CD-ROMs at one time!:lol:

Last edited:
Another way is to put the record between to panes of glass. Then put it out in the sun for a few hours before bringing it in. Let it cool off and then check. Warp should be completely gone or much better.

;)

Another way is to put the record between to panes of glass. Then put it out in the sun for a few hours before bringing it in. Let it cool off and then check. Warp should be completely gone or much better.

;)

Yup! That's another one! But, haven't tried that yet... This was kinda, more convenient! Plus it gave me time to look into the missus' eyes after a long time! :lol:

Would heat not affect the grooves in the album, and distort the music? If it can bend or straighten the record, it should also affect the grooves?

Cheers

Hi guys,
how do we know if a record is warped or not. Is it like if we hold it vertically ideally we should see one edge but in warped record we will see both edges. Is there a more scientific way to find it out.
Thanks.

Thanks mal.... Apart from being quite useful your post was hilarious:lol:

cheers,
sri

Atleast you can listen to your music at warp speed. No other person can claim to have gear that matches yours in speed :D

Cheers

Would heat not affect the grooves in the album, and distort the music? If it can bend or straighten the record, it should also affect the grooves?

Cheers

YES venkatcr, it does distort the music a wee bit... I found athe record had new 'noise' albiet very little, but yes, it was there... Hence, I'd want to replace the said record with a new one as soon as I find it.

Till then, this restored one is still priceless to me!

Hi guys,
how do we know if a record is warped or not. Is it like if we hold it vertically ideally we should see one edge but in warped record we will see both edges. Is there a more scientific way to find it out.
Thanks.

mahi... just put the LP on the platter, bend down a bit so the side of the lp is at eye level, then manually spin the platter, if the LP looks "wavy" it is a bit warped, if the LP looks veeery wavy its quite warped...

Then there are the very obviously warped ones... those will be plain as day - WARPED!

Atleast you can listen to your music at warp speed. No other person can claim to have gear that matches yours in speed :D

Cheers

:lol::lol::lol:

The hairdryer surely went where no other Indian hair dryer has (probably) gone before!

and the award for the most hair-raising post of the year goes to.... (drum roll) malvai!!! :clapping: bet the wife's wondering what you're gonna whack next! you ought to benefit from the situation for a few more days at least to rule the roost and anything from the other camp answered with a glare and 'WARP'! ;) :D

if the hair dryer was plugged into power conditioning giving you clean power you wouldn't have the noise you currently have on the lp. point to note for next time.

wonder how different brands of hair dryers work... maybe a different one works optimally with a particular type of music...

and the award for the most hair-raising post of the year goes to.... (drum roll) malvai!!! :clapping: bet the wife's wondering what you're gonna whack next! you ought to benefit from the situation for a few more days at least to rule the roost and anything from the other camp answered with a glare and 'WARP'! ;) :D

if the hair dryer was plugged into power conditioning giving you clean power you wouldn't have the noise you currently have on the lp. point to note for next time.

wonder how different brands of hair dryers work... maybe a different one works optimally with a particular type of music...

:lol:

Yeah! Maybe there is a whole new line of 'audiophile products'... shall test out different brands and see which ones ensure less noise on the groove!

An audiophile Hair Dryer ???!!!
Good idea. Use OFC powercord, pack in attractive box, add two zeros to the price tag.
Wait...
Make two versions. second one a 'deluxe version' with gold plated two pin plug and add one more zero.

Pero voy a ser rico :D

Last edited:
An audiophile Hair Dryer ???!!!
Good idea. Use OFC powercord, pack in attractive box, add two zeros to the price tag.
Wait...
Make two versions. second one a 'deluxe version' with gold plated two pin plug and add one more zero.

Estoy goona ser rico :D

Actually I'll make a third super-luxury one... In addition to what you've suggested, it'll come with a special airflow adjuster, a power conditioner and one will have to put it on a spearate line for A-Grade record ressurection!

Get the Award Winning Diamond 12.3 Floorstanding Speakers on Special Offer
Back