Airtel DTH HD sound issues

rakeshchn

I have the airtel HD+ STB connected to AVR via optical and enabled dolby digital in settings, but noticed issues with couple of HD channels. In Movies Now HD I get 5.1 but noticed some noise like hissing in the background both during movies and commercials. This is noticeable especially in quiet scenes.
In Zee Studo the dialogue comes through all channels and so doesn't look like true DD 5.1 although the AVR shows like that. Is anyone having similar issues in Airtel and other DTH providers for these channels?

I know my connections are right because I get perfect 5.1 in Star Gold HD and Star movies HD.

When we set the volume to Dolby Digital Plus in the STB on Airtel DTH the sound is bit low and i have to put AVR volume upto 40 to get some decent sound , the stereo option sounds good just for 15-20 on my AVR.

Have u guys noted this?

In Movies Now HD I get 5.1 but noticed some noise like hissing in the background both during movies and commercials. This is noticeable especially in quiet scenes

is it noticeable in Airtel hd content only? have you tried any other source like Bluray/dvd, if not plz check that, it might possible your receiver has some issues

In Zee Studo the dialogue comes through all channels and so doesn't look like true DD 5.1 although the AVR shows like that. Is anyone having similar issues in Airtel and other DTH providers for these channels?

i too get similar sound from all channels while watching Zee studio, this issue is something from Airtel end.

Last edited:
My AVR and connections are fine, otherwise as I mentioned in OP I would not get proper surround sound in Star Movies and Star Gold HD channels. Also I watch DVDs and movie rips and they sound fantastic (yamaha rx-v373 and pioneer BS22/C22).
The issue with Movies Now + is evident even when sound is through TV (HDMI stereo out from STB). There is lot of compression and dialogues and effects lack punch.

By posting here I wanted to find out if the issue is with me only or other Airtel HD owners as well, and how these channels are in other DTH providers. Please respond everyone.

Oh, and I should add that Star Gold HD is doing something very right regarding their picture and sound. I can feel the full dynamic range and good low frequency effects. That kind of dynamic range is missing in any other HD channel.

Last edited:
My AVR and connections are fine, otherwise as I mentioned in OP I would not get proper surround sound in Star Movies and Star Gold HD channels. Also I watch DVDs and movie rips and they sound fantastic (yamaha rx-v373 and pioneer BS22/C22).
The issue with Movies Now + is evident even when sound is through TV (HDMI stereo out from STB). There is lot of compression and dialogues and effects lack punch.

By posting here I wanted to find out if the issue is with me only or other Airtel HD owners as well, and how these channels are in other DTH providers. Please respond everyone.

Oh, and I should add that Star Gold HD is doing something very right regarding their picture and sound. I can feel the full dynamic range and good low frequency effects. That kind of dynamic range is missing in any other HD channel.

Its not just Airtel. Movies now HD has a universal issue (including that on my tatasky) and that is simply because they are not consistent. There is no set standard in how they broadcast films- it varies- Some movies have true 5.1 audio while others its plain pro logic and some other plain stereo and many times, i have deliberately observed, the same film on different times gets broadcast in these different ways- its a real pain seeing this state of this channel.

Rest assured. it is a broadcast issue not equipment.

Now regarding your observation about Star network having best audio, you are Bang on correct. I made this post a while back and check it out- will further help you forming an opinion on whats fake and whats true 5.1 among various channels.
http://www.hifivision.com/digital-c...g-more-hd-channels-post617979.html#post617979

Further reading, the Forum member tanmayJ created a great observation list of channels with fake/True 5.1 . hope this helps too.
http://www.hifivision.com/digital-c...g-dolby-digital-output-hdmi-4.html#post513838

Last edited:
Guys,

Have some problem with start movies HD..Today i see starmovies HD displaying 'Dolby Digital Plus' icon ..whereas all other channels are showing only 'Dolby Digital' and my set top box is set in Dolby Digital Plus only. However i dont see any sound coming from my AVR for this channel. If i change the settop box to dolby digital i see the sound coming from star movies HD channel. Have you guys also experiencing the same problem?

Guys,

Have some problem with start movies HD..Today i see starmovies HD displaying 'Dolby Digital Plus' icon ..whereas all other channels are showing only 'Dolby Digital' and my set top box is set in Dolby Digital Plus only. However i dont see any sound coming from my AVR for this channel. If i change the settop box to dolby digital i see the sound coming from star movies HD channel. Have you guys also experiencing the same problem?

Yes, there is no sound in star movies HD. Connected through AVR, tried everything from optical to analog but no sound is coming. Using Airtel HD box. Anything needs to be done in the AVR to produce the DD plus sound?

This seems to be a problem with all the DD plus channels like star sports hd3,star moovies HD..etc. You need to switch the DVR STB to 'Dolby Digital' mode only to hear sound for these channels.

Not sure if updating the STB software fixes this issue

This seems to be a problem with all the DD plus channels like star sports hd3,star moovies HD..etc. You need to switch the DVR STB to 'Dolby Digital' mode only to hear sound for these channels.

Well tried Dolby Digital mode in the STB, but the audio is still mute. Maybe they need to update the STB software.

Guys, I recently got Airtel HD+ connection n there seems to a major audio sync/lip sync issue.
I know there is a audio delay option in the stb settings but that says audio delay. The issue is in my case the audio is few MS already delayed n the setgins only has option to delay it further . in my case the lips are moving before the audio comes...obviously just be few milliseoncds but I can easily figure it out.
My stb is passed thru my onkyo reciever via HDMI, no optical cable etc.

Does the audio delay function in the stb can be used to recitify this, cause as per my understanding in stock form the audio is already delayed at 0 ms. Now if I further delay it then it'all only get worse or am I ami missing something here.
Please help ?

I have a similar set up as yours i.e. Airtel to Onkyo to TV via HDMI. But I am not facing this problem. I am using Airtel HD-DVR STB though. Do you see any sync issues when you directly connect STB to TV?

I guess you better talk to Airtel CC and get your box replaced.

Guys, I recently got Airtel HD+ connection n there seems to a major audio sync/lip sync issue.
I know there is a audio delay option in the stb settings but that says audio delay. The issue is in my case the audio is few MS already delayed n the setgins only has option to delay it further . in my case the lips are moving before the audio comes...obviously just be few milliseoncds but I can easily figure it out.
My stb is passed thru my onkyo reciever via HDMI, no optical cable etc.

Does the audio delay function in the stb can be used to recitify this, cause as per my understanding in stock form the audio is already delayed at 0 ms. Now if I further delay it then it'all only get worse or am I ami missing something here.
Please help ?

I had some time back lip sync issue, which got rectified on its own after one or two restart of STB. but i had that problem only on few channels not on all.

By changing the output over HDMI to DD or DD +, SD channels sounds a bit low compared to stereo. Is that same with you also ? Actually its not bit low. Considerably it gets reduced.

I had some time back lip sync issue, which got rectified on its own after one or two restart of STB. but i had that problem only on few channels not on all.

Yes, I too have problems in few channels...mostly HD ones, its quite irritating though. The problem is I can't rectify with audio delay function on the stb as audio is already delayed.

Also in the onkyo AVR there is a lip sync function which also doesn't solve it.

I'll try restarting it or register a complaint as well.

Also during ads the volume suddenly increases n non HD channels it reduces quite a bit. Not really happy with these bugs...they spoil the whole exp.

Seems like all star HD channels audio are back to normal as DD+ is not there anymore. I think star has withdrawn DD+ for now.

Hi Everyone,

I am facing a typical problem with my Airtel HD+ box. The sound for some of the channels is distorted and garbled. It happens particularly with Zee and Zee HD along with host of other non HD channels. The problems rectifies for most of the channels except the Zee ones by itself or when the set-top box is restarted.

I have changed the set-top box and HDMI cable on the advice of Airtel engineers but the problem persists. They asked me to contact LG, my TV guys and I got it checked by them.

There seems to be no problem with TV as confirmed by LG Engineer. I also feel the same as I have connected my TV to different devices to get crystal clear sound and it also works good for most of the channels on Airtel HD+ box. The engineer from LG also confirmed that he faced a similar problem with other Airtel customers.

Please Help.
Piyush

Has anyone figured a solution for this? After going through the posts, it feels like airtel is the cultprit. Even I have issues with no audio from Star Movies HD in DD or DD+ sound settings in the STB. I am getting surround sound from other channels.

I had contacted airtel customer care a few months back and he asked me do a factory reset and then guided me through the initial setup. Somehow the issue was rectified then! But this keeps coming back again when i switch off and on the STB again. I am assuming that the issue is with the firmware.

I am using Airtel HD+ STB and connected to LED TV using HDMI cable. ARC HDMI port to BluRay HT. I have configured my STB for Dolby Digital plus for preferred audio via HDMI.

With this configuration, no sound comes for HD channels with DD+. Stereo and Dolby digital works though. Spoke to Airtel customer care and looks like Airtel does not support DD+ anymore? Is this true?

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Walnut finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back