Airtel DTH - No sound with some channels

KBS

Hello All,

My Airtel digital TV (STB with DVR) is connected Samsung UHD 4k 8 Series TV, via Marantz SR7011. The issue with this there is no audio with some channels (ex: Zee Kannada, Star Suvarna, Sony Mix and others). STB is connected to AVR (HDMI) and AVR out is connected to TV's ARC port (HDMI).

* Airtel guys have tried hard and replaced STB, it didn't help.
* Even if I bypass AVR or use passthrough, no change.
* Strangely, If I select the channel in which audio is not working, switch of AVR and allow passthrough, wait for a minute, audio works on those channels, then I can switch AVR on, the audio continues. But all others channels go on mute. Again I've to select other channel do the same exercise.
* Tried changing the HDMI cables, didn't help.

And also I need the Remote preset code for this airtel STB remote, to work with Marantz SR7011(RC031SR) remote

Please help me to resolve.

Thanks,
KBS

Last edited:
That is a strange issue. Couple of things that come to mind that you can try.

1. Did you try to reset the receiver?

2. Switch off ARC in TV.

3. Try another input hdmi port for the airtel stb

4. What are your hdmi settings in the receiver?

MaSh

Sent from my Redmi Note 3 using Tapatalk

That is a strange issue. Couple of things that come to mind that you can try.

Thanks for the reply

1. Did you try to reset the receiver?
I tried resetting AVR, TV and STB, none of that helped

2. Switch off ARC in TV.
How do I do it?

3. Try another input hdmi port for the airtel stb
I tried, found little success, works sometime, sometimes all working channels go on mute. (Currently only few channels are mute)

4. What are your hdmi settings in the receiver?
Passthrough enabled for STB
Upscaler enabled. Output setting 4k (50/60fps)
What specific setting to be changed or tested?

Like I said in OP, even if I bypass or passthogh AVR, problem persists.
MaSh

Hmm okay.

Regarding disabling arc, you'll find that in your TV settings. Also did you try connecting the set top box directly to TV? If it works, then you can isolate the issue to the receiver.

MaSh

Hmm okay.

Regarding disabling arc, you'll find that in your TV settings. Also did you try connecting the set top box directly to TV? If it works, then you can isolate the issue to the receiver.

MaSh

Thanks,

Yes, I've tried connecting STB to TV directly bypassing (Not Passthrough), it was of no help.
I'll try with ARC.

Oh then in that case, receiver us fine. And if the set top box has also been replaced then that leaves the TV.

Did you reset the TV settings? Switch off ARC, switch off upscalimg, etc.

MaSh

Oh then in that case, receiver us fine. And if the set top box has also been replaced then that leaves the TV.

Did you reset the TV settings? Switch off ARC, switch off upscalimg, etc.

MaSh

Reset TV settings is done, I'll try others.
Thanks

Did you tried to connect STB directly to TV? try some different HDMI port and if its working then from TV use option etc to connect to Receiver

Hi,

I am in the same boat, my current setup as all input to sr5010 and single hdmi output (arc) to my plasma hdmi input

In airtel dvr when i select preferred audio over HDMI as stereo i get the sound but when i select dd or dd+ then no sound in any channels, call airtel guy today and was not able to solve he just guided to use optical from dvr to amp which i dont want to so now have escalated to airtel dth central team, anyone can further advise on this !!

Thanks in advance
Cheers

Hi

I too faced almost the same thing, escalation has never helped....India has no true DD or DD+ being aired with appropriate set top box Hardware used at home....i dont think this happens in foreign countries....

I guess this is true for most set boxes.....no box really provides the actual signal......I use Hathway Cable and have a HD box.....so i fed the Set Top Box straight to the TV......from TV optical out to AVR.....that way i enjoy some digital surround sound....

I also alternatively fed from set top box Coaxial OUT to the AVR......the reason being all channels aired are not uniform in terms of SQ....so accordingly if i want to Amplify these channels for a good movie I either use the TV or Coaxial option.....

I guess the issue is more to do with the inability (of the TV?) to pass through DD or DD+ via HDMI ARC.
When I passed STB signal thro TV to HTiB via ARC it did not work, but when I used optical out of the STB to the Optical in of HTiB I got DD and NOT DD+. Later when I connected STB to AVR HDMI I got DD+. Though the DD+ lights up on my AVR, not all movies of English HD channels are really DD or DD+

I dont think the TV is to be blamed here.......i believe its more of the outdated hardware provided in India for us consumers to get HD channels......

Keeping aside ARC........When i feed the HDMI through my AVR....if it is indeed DD or DD+.....it should come on display on the AVR screen....this does not happen upfront...using the alternative connections only then gets this for me.....this is for Hathway connection....not sure if this is the case with Airtel or Tata Sky

Hi

I too faced almost the same thing, escalation has never helped....India has no true DD or DD+ being aired with appropriate set top box Hardware used at home....i dont think this happens in foreign countries....

I guess this is true for most set boxes.....no box really provides the actual signal......I use Hathway Cable and have a HD box.....so i fed the Set Top Box straight to the TV......from TV optical out to AVR.....that way i enjoy some digital surround sound....

I also alternatively fed from set top box Coaxial OUT to the AVR......the reason being all channels aired are not uniform in terms of SQ....so accordingly if i want to Amplify these channels for a good movie I either use the TV or Coaxial option.....

As alternative have fed tv optical to avr digital input (optical) now am getting dd/dd+ signals, still discussing and research with Airtel as to get resolved over hdmi itself

At present it is STB -> AVR -> TV (HDMI ARC).
Gr8 same doesnt work with me, again mine as below
stb > avr hdmi input (marantz 5010)
avr hdmi arc output > tv hdmi input arc

mine is small stb black color model, can you pls share your stb pic, am too getting stb changed to see if this works and which avr you are using

Get the Award Winning Diamond 12.3 Floorstanding Speakers on Special Offer
Back