Airtel HD STB low volume problem

snshah

Hello,
I have recently bought Airtel DTH services with HD STB and HD channel subscription. Following is my setup:

I am using Yamaha RX-V373 AVR (ARC off).

ADTV -> Yamaha AVR (connected using optical cable)
ADTV -> Sony TV (connected using HDMI cable)
Yamaha AVR -> TV (using HDMI cable)

I am facing low sound issue on all HD channels. I have done some research and found that it is some kind of software issue and it has been resolved since recent update. I am not sure that it has been really resolved as I have purchased brand new connection with new HD STB.

I get good sound on non-HD channels (PCM) on the same volume but when I switch to HD channels (for dolby digital) like NGC, Discovery HD, Star Movies etc. the sound is very low and I had to increase volume drastically to hear the sound. This creates trouble when I switch the channel from HD to SD and had to look for remote immediately to lower the volume.

Is anybody facing similar issue? Please help.

I have similar problems with reliance hd where HD channels sound low compared to sd and I have to increase the volume.

I have similar setup with Denon2310 and ADTV HD (2yrs old). I am not seeing any such issue.
just want to clarify, which sound you are talking about. Is it the output of the AVR or output of the TV?
In my case, the AVR <---> ADTV is connected with the Optical cable(SPDIF) and there is no control over the sound from ADTV for HD channels like star movies, movies now etc. But when i have the Non-HD channels like SAB TV etc, I have to use my ADTV Remote to get the audio out of my AVR.

IMO, try to set the AVR volume to a comfortable level for Non-HD channels, then in the AVR there should be some option to select <Digital Input level> increase it to a value till you have same comfortable audio level for HD channels.

I guess that will help :)

m not an expert... just my 2cents...

@ajay0722
Thanks for your reply.

I am talking about the audio of AVR.

1. Airtel DTH remote is paired with TV remote.
2. HDMI CEC is enabled on TV (which can be used to control connected HDMI CEC compatible devices).
3. When I change volume using either TV/ADTV remote, it also changes the volume of AVR (this is due to HDMI CEC capabilities)

Now, coming to your points which you have mentioned - I am not expert of AVR but not sure about <digital_input_level> option but I think that wouldn't solve the problem as the problem would still be exists while changing the channel.

I am sorry If I have misunderstood you.

Hi snshah... This was an earlier issue with HD channels on Airtel HD STB.
I assume your STB is not loaded with latest software.

You can try updating STB software manually by following method and this must be resolved.

- Switch Off the STB power without switching it off from remote.
- Wait for at least 30 seconds and Switch ON the STB power.
- When STB power is ON again, you'll see a message appearing on TV "Please Wait Initializing...". As soon as this message is displayed, Immediately press 'Exit' button on ADTV remote twice followed by 2465 immediately.
- Next, you'll see a software download message on screen and download of new software will start. When the download is complete, STB will restart automatically.

Try to check volume level on SD and HD channels after software update.
You can see the latest software version from 'Settings'.

Hi technobhatt,
Thanks for guiding me through the detailed steps. I will certainly follow your instructions step by step and will let you know.

I am interested to know about which version of the software to look for using "settings" before I apply the manual update option as you guided. The reason behind asking this question:

1. The box is recently purchased and I saw that installation guy ran some software update during installation.
2. I wouldn't come to know without specific s/w version that STB is loaded with latest firmware.

Again, thank you very much for your detailed instructions.

Hi technobhatt,
Thanks for guiding me through the detailed steps. I will certainly follow your instructions step by step and will let you know.

I am interested to know about which version of the software to look for using "settings" before I apply the manual update option as you guided. The reason behind asking this question:

1. The box is recently purchased and I saw that installation guy ran some software update during installation.
2. I wouldn't come to know without specific s/w version that STB is loaded with latest firmware.

Again, thank you very much for your detailed instructions.

You're most welcome snshah !! :)

1. Latest software version depends on STB make (Huawei/Kaon Media/Homecast etc.). I have Homecast HD-DVR and its current software version is 457.

2. As far as I know, the latest software on HD STB should not be less than 450. Because all the earlier software with 3xx version had this HD channels low volume issue, but not after 4xx versions.

3. You can see the installed software version from "Menu-->Settings--> Diagnostics-->Device Info-->Release Version

@ajay0722
Thanks for your reply.

I am talking about the audio of AVR.

1. Airtel DTH remote is paired with TV remote.
2. HDMI CEC is enabled on TV (which can be used to control connected HDMI CEC compatible devices).
3. When I change volume using either TV/ADTV remote, it also changes the volume of AVR (this is due to HDMI CEC capabilities)

Now, coming to your points which you have mentioned - I am not expert of AVR but not sure about <digital_input_level> option but I think that wouldn't solve the problem as the problem would still be exists while changing the channel.

I am sorry If I have misunderstood you.

I have not used Airtel HD for more hen a year now. When I did use I had to connect the Airtel Box to AVR directly through an optical cable to get 5.1 surround. Video was direct through HDMI. Have things changed now?

You're most welcome snshah !! :)

1. Latest software version depends on STB make (Huawei/Kaon Media/Homecast etc.). I have Homecast HD-DVR and its current software version is 457.

2. As far as I know, the latest software on HD STB should not be less than 450. Because all the earlier software with 3xx version had this HD channels low volume issue, but not after 4xx versions.

3. You can see the installed software version from "Menu-->Settings--> Diagnostics-->Device Info-->Release Version

thanks i will follow the steps and post my output here.:)

I have not used Airtel HD for more hen a year now. When I did use I had to connect the Airtel Box to AVR directly through an optical cable to get 5.1 surround. Video was direct through HDMI. Have things changed now?

No, it is still the same. no change buddy.

Hi,
I have checked software version and it is 457 and last updated on December 26 2012. Seems to be latest available software. However, I am running update as described except the code "2465" is incorrect.

I pressed exit button twice and then pressed ok button on remote and update started...

let's see what happens next!!! I will post my output as soon as update is completed.

Hello,
I ran manual software update on the STB. The release number didn't change after manual upgrade that means 457 is the latest release.

After upgrade, I didn't notice any difference in volume.

Any idea what could be the cause?

Hello,
I ran manual software update on the STB. The release number didn't change after manual upgrade that means 457 is the latest release.

After upgrade, I didn't notice any difference in volume.

Any idea what could be the cause?

That's really strange! I am totally clueless now; as this is no more a case with others having latest software.
Are you still getting lower volume on HD channels in comparison to SD channels ?

Yes, I couldn't notice the difference in the sound. Prior running upgrade, I checked the version and it was exactly same as mentioned earlier though, I ran the upgrade just to ensure that I don't miss to follow any instructions steps.

Please help.

Yes, I couldn't notice the difference in the sound. Prior running upgrade, I checked the version and it was exactly same as mentioned earlier though, I ran the upgrade just to ensure that I don't miss to follow any instructions steps.

Please help.

Did you increase the volume in the Airtel STB? Check that also since you would be using the AVR to increase the volume. Sometime you need to keep the volume raised in the STB along with the AVR. How is the sound if you do not connect with the AVR? Is the sound clear through the TV speaker? Earlier used to have this problem with Movies Now HD channel but after the recent software update from Airtel I don't see this problem.

Hi mathan,
thanks for your help. Let me explain you scenario. Both Airtel remote and TV remote is paired. TV is connected using HDMI ARC port to AVR HDMI out. HDMI CEC is enabled on both TV and AVR. Therefore, when I increase the volume using Airtel or TV remote, it is also going to increase volume for AVR (when AVR is turned on). This is due to HDMI CEC feature (of course, I do not want to turn this off as this is quite helpful).

By the way, Airtel STB gives clear sound. As such there is no problem with sound except it is very low. I don't know what to do.

Hi snshah,
I experienced the exact same problem with my videocon d2h and still am ...I got onkyo 9300 thx...I enquired videocon customer care..they had no clue..my advice is check if u can change the audio format input to ur AVR..to DD 5.1 ...but in videocon I feel my PCM output is better than DD ..GUESS WE'LL HAVE TO LIVE WITH THAT..:sad:

Hi nirmal_kumar,
thanks for your advice. My audio input of AVR for HD channels are mostly set to DD 5.1 and I know when I change it to PCM, audio gets better but that's only 2.1 sound. I feel really sad to do this but no options. :(

Hey Snshah....I myself am facing the same issue. The volume from settop box to avr using the optical cable has a very low volume! Yesterday I was watching starmovies hd and I had the same issue. Had to increase the volume to 85db to get a decent volume going. Specially the center channel is pretty quiet. This was with jurassic park 3 which was airing yesterday on starmovies hd.

The Marantz PM7000N offers big, spacious and insightful sound, class-leading clarity and a solid streaming platform in a award winning package.
Back