AK70 - an early impression

milestoneseeker

I recently bought AK70 DAP and wanted to share my early impression of the player. I am currently using Sennheisser Urbanite XL headphones to listen to it and I must put out the caveat that I am not very focussed on headphone usage. So why did I buy this player? Because I really liked the option of a player which doubles up as a USB DAC (and hence play it on my yet-to-arrive Dali KubikOne).

While I have not really played it yet as per the original design (with KubikOne), I have really enjoyed my headphone experience so far.

The sound is very smooth with no undue harshness of a good recording. I played multiple songs of Linkin Park and no time did the treble ever go harsh. An old recording of Masoom showed that inherent harshness as is present in such recordings but even then, it was so much tolerable. I compare the harshness against what I heard when listening to KEF R500!

Mids are to die for! The lushness of voice of Adele and the minutest of details which I had never really notice before (when playing over a Bose sound dock for iPhone) are a revelation. I avoids dulling the mids as it is a killer joy and the bass is taut.

I will not delve much on the build or the UI as there are enough reference to go around for them. Overall, impeccable aluminium build, smooth UI (tilting towards lazy but still good) though the sharp corners will require you to buy a cover.

If I am able to appreciate the talents of this DAP using my budget headphones, I can imagine what a good headphone will reveal. Looking forward to pairing it with KubikOne.

Congrats on your purchase
[would be really interested in your Dali Kubik review, whenever you take the plunge]

From what little I know, the AK70 audio output is super plush and totally awesome
But I have a serious issue with their pricing (its WAY too expensive. Amazon.in has it listed at Rs 50k :eek: )

What made you choose the AK70 over the new Fiio X5 3rd gen ?
Form factor, user interface and price all are heavily titled towards the Fiio X5
And sound, while maybe a touch inferior to AK70, isn't worth double the price ?

Hey @grunthos,

My purchase of AK70 was purely due to the fact that I bought it in UK at a discount and with the VAT reversal, it comes to ~30K for me. I looked at it as a good deal for a brand which is considered one of the best in the business (if not the best).

And maybe I just wanted to spend some dough to light up my mundane life :) No fun in bean counting on some things in life!

However, I do agree with the exorbitant pricing that is around their players and I would think twice before looking to buy in India. To top it, we are talking of their entry level DAP!

My KubikOne is still 2 weeks away (under shipping) and I can't wait to get my hands on it. Will surely post my review as I was surprised to not see a user review on it in this forum.

Hey @grunthos,
I was surprised to not see a user review on it in this forum.

This part is easy to explain
Dali Kubik One is one EXPENSIVE soundbar :eek:hyeah:

I don't think too many people are ready to pay that much for soundbars, yet

In Hong Kong, it is priced at INR 1 lakh equivalent
Richer Sounds in the UK is the best price I can find - INR 68k
Amazon US is INR 90k

Hope you are getting yours from UK :D

Hey @grunthos,

My purchase of AK70 was purely due to the fact that I bought it in UK at a discount and with the VAT reversal, it comes to ~30K for me. I looked at it as a good deal for a brand which is considered one of the best in the business (if not the best).

And maybe I just wanted to spend some dough to light up my mundane life :) No fun in bean counting on some things in life!

However, I do agree with the exorbitant pricing that is around their players and I would think twice before looking to buy in India. To top it, we are talking of their entry level DAP!

For the price you got it, it makes all the sense
(And the AKJr is their true entry level, but I think they stopped production recently)

Also, if you are in the shopping phase, may I suggest adding to your headphone collection - something like the B&O H6 - or Sennheiser's own Momentum 2.0
Both a joy to listen to, while non slouch with their looks :lol:

For my personal audio, I have my eyes set on this phone by Onkyo :eek:hyeah:
https://www.hk.onkyo.com/Product/GRANBEAT_DP-CMX1/index.html

However my current phone is less than a year old, so cant justify splurging on a iPhone7-priced phone to the missus :)

This part is easy to explain
Dali Kubik One is one EXPENSIVE soundbar :eek:hyeah:

I don't think too many people are ready to pay that much for soundbars, yet

In Hong Kong, it is priced at INR 1 lakh equivalent
Richer Sounds in the UK is the best price I can find - INR 68k
Amazon US is INR 90k

Hope you are getting yours from UK :D

Haha! Agree on the price but then if you look up equivalents from B&W or Focal, I found KubikOne to be as cheap or expensive as them. I was not ok with taking a chance on the warranty even though I will never likely use it (I didn't for my Paradigm's) so buying it from India, albeit with a discount which gets it under 6 figures :)

it was a matter of defining one's value proposition - for stereo excellence and no wires, this was the best possible solution I could come across. The Dynaudio Xeo 4 were next best and they were more expensive. Plus, I saved a lot by not lusting for Blumenhofer Big Fun any more :(

As for the headphones, I just had a conversation with an office colleague of mine who can take the H6 or QuietComfort 35 or Momentum 2.0 from his air miles! So while the vision is fresh on my mind, I will hold back now. Else, my absolutely lovely better half will not spare me. It is very tempting though :)

The Onkyo one looks very posh! All the best in achieving the closure on this one. You live only once ;)

Haha! Agree on the price but then if you look up equivalents from B&W or Focal, I found KubikOne to be as cheap or expensive as them. I was not ok with taking a chance on the warranty even though I will never likely use it (I didn't for my Paradigm's) so buying it from India, albeit with a discount which gets it under 6 figures :)

it was a matter of defining one's value proposition - for stereo excellence and no wires, this was the best possible solution I could come across. The Dynaudio Xeo 4 were next best and they were more expensive. Plus, I saved a lot by not lusting for Blumenhofer Big Fun any more :(

As for the headphones, I just had a conversation with an office colleague of mine who can take the H6 or QuietComfort 35 or Momentum 2.0 from his air miles! So while the vision is fresh on my mind, I will hold back now. Else, my absolutely lovely better half will not spare me. It is very tempting though :)

The Onkyo one looks very posh! All the best in achieving the closure on this one. You live only once ;)

Admire the clarity of thought on clean solution without sacrificing sound quality

I too, will get there someday :D

And damn Onkyo for introducing the phone now!
3-4 months later I would have managed it :eek:h yeah:

Buy from India's official online dealer!
Back