Allo Boss Player 1.2

saketgyani

Hello!
I’m planning to get an Allo Boss Player to stream music to my modest system comprising of Marantz PM 5005 and Dali Zensor 1 (got a lot of advice from FMs here while deciding what to buy). Neither do I have a stand alone DAC, nor does my integrated amplifier have digital inputs. I’d use the Allo Boss to stream Spotify and some albums that I have on my external hard drive using Volumio interface.

Here’s my confusion about what version of Boss listed below would sound the best on my not at all high end system.
  1. Pre-assembled Allo Boss 1.2 powered by the supplied 5V power adapter connected to the DAC board.
  2. Pre-assembled Allo Boss 1.2 powered by iFi iPower connected to DAC board.
  3. Separate RPi, Boss DAC 1.2, Isolator 1.2, LIFEPO 18650 batteries powering the Isolator and a wall wart powering the RPi.
How much do you think would be the difference in SQ between these 3 options (keeping in mind that I do not have the most revealing stereo system on the planet).

P.S.: For the 3rd option, the case to house the RPi, Boss and Isolator is not available on Fab to Lab or DIY Audio Cart. Are there any other websites that deal with Allo products in India?

Cheers!

Last edited:
Hello!
I’m planning to get an Allo Boss Player to stream music to my modest system comprising of Marantz PM 5005 and Dali Zensor 1 (got a lot of advice from FMs here while deciding what to buy). Neither do I have a stand alone DAC, nor does my integrated amplifier have digital inputs. I’d use the Allo Boss to stream Spotify and some albums that I have on my external hard drive using Volumio interface.

Here’s my confusion about what version of Boss listed below would sound the best on my not at all high end system.
  1. Pre-assembled Allo Boss 1.2 powered by the supplied 5V power adapter connected to the DAC board.
  3. Separate RPi, Boss DAC 1.2, Isolator 1.2, LIFEPO 18650 batteries powering the Isolator and a wall wart powering the RPi.
How much do you think would be the difference in SQ between these 3 options (keeping in mind that I do not have the most revealing stereo system on the planet).

P.S.: For the 3rd option, the case to house the RPi, Boss and Isolator is not available on Fab to Lab or DIY Audio Cart. Are there any other websites that deal with Allo products in India?

Cheers!
I used to run a similar set up using RPi 2 and an Audioquest Dragonfly USB DAC. Files were stored on a pen drive and were read by Volumio from the Pi. In case you want more flexibility and the option to upgrade your DAC later on I think option 3 would be better. With a separate RPi you can change the DAC to Audioquest or Schiit or anything of your choice. Even simpler for me was connecting my phone directly to the Dragonfly DAC (through OTG cable) and inputting the Dragonfly 3.5mm to a stereo amp. That way it reduced the complexity of the Rpi and volumio as well.

I used to run a similar set up using RPi 2 and an Audioquest Dragonfly USB DAC. Files were stored on a pen drive and were read by Volumio from the Pi. In case you want more flexibility and the option to upgrade your DAC later on I think option 3 would be better. With a separate RPi you can change the DAC to Audioquest or Schiit or anything of your choice. Even simpler for me was connecting my phone directly to the Dragonfly DAC (through OTG cable) and inputting the Dragonfly 3.5mm to a stereo amp. That way it reduced the complexity of the Rpi and volumio as well.
@Amarendra, thank you for the inputs.
The reason I'm not inclined towards Dragonfly is because I do not want to engage my phone for listening duties.
In my opinion, Allo Boss 1.2 Player would supply cleaner power to its DAC when compared to a Dragonfly connected to USB input of RPi. I guess it does as I'm pretty new to the audiophile world. What do you think?

I can go for the option 3, but not able to find an acrylic or aluminium case for it.

In case I upgrade my DAC in the future and still want to use the RPi as a transport, I can dismantle the Boss Player and use just the RPi from it. In all likelihood, by the time I decide to buy a stand alone DAC, Raspberry Pi 6 or 7 would be released and might get that instead of using the RPi 3 from the Boss Player.

Ideally, I'd like to use RPi 4 in Allo Boss Player, but apparently, the size of the RPi 4 board is different. So cannot find cases to house RPi 4 + Boss DAC + Isolator (if bought).

Hello!

Cheers!
Hi,

I own Allo Katana Player w/ Isolator. I am running them on two basic Allo wall wart power supplies for now. I don't have first hand experience with Allo Boss DAC, so cant' compare 1, 2 and 3. There are many FMs here who can and they will help you.

Regarding you question about other websites, allo.com is the best website to purchase Allo products. Allo has a factory in Bangalore and orders from this part of the world are processed from there. You can drop them an email (using "Contact Us" option on their website), telling them the products that you wish to purchase and also that you would like to get the products shipped locally. The payment can also be made directly to their bank A/C. The folks there are very helpful and will guide you. They may also be able to advise you about options 1, 2 and 3.

With regards,
Sandeep Sasi

Hi,

I own Allo Katana Player w/ Isolator. I am running them on two basic Allo wall wart power supplies for now. I don't have first hand experience with Allo Boss DAC, so cant' compare 1, 2 and 3. There are many FMs here who can and they will help you.

Regarding you question about other websites, allo.com is the best website to purchase Allo products. Allo has a factory in Bangalore and orders from this part of the world are processed from there. You can drop them an email (using "Contact Us" option on their website), telling them the products that you wish to purchase and also that you would like to get the products shipped locally. The payment can also be made directly to their bank A/C. The folks there are very helpful and will guide you. They may also be able to advise you about options 1, 2 and 3.

With regards,
Sandeep Sasi
Thank you, @sandeepsasi.
Shall write to Allo about the same and see what they suggest. Shall update here too.
How is your experience with the Katana Player with Isolator? Do you use Volumio?

Hi,

How is your experience with the Katana Player with Isolator?
My experience so far has been good. The entire setup is revealing, musical and non-fatiguing.

Do you use Volumio?
Yes, Volumio is the playback s/w that I have installed. My setup is more or less similar to what you look forward to build - music stored on external USB hard drive and also streamed from YouTube.

With regards,
Sandeep Sasi

Hmm okay. Do think about it. It will add flexibility to your setup.

MaSh
I get what you're saying.
My budget for now is ₹10000. I'd have to spend ₹13000 for USBridge. Plus a DAC (for instance $99 + shipping + customs for Schiit Modi). Making the whole rig for the upwards of ₹20000.
Hence thinking of Allo Boss Player.
What would you suggest for under ₹10000?

How about Pre-assembled Allo Boss 1.2 powered by a 5V Apple iPhone adapter through a generic USB Type C Cable?

I was reading through the threads on Media Streamers and DACs here and found an interesting post by @amit11 on how an iPhone adapter improved the SQ on his system as below.

I get what you're saying.
My budget for now is ₹10000. I'd have to spend ₹13000 for USBridge. Plus a DAC (for instance $99 + shipping + customs for Schiit Modi). Making the whole rig for the upwards of ₹20000.
Hence thinking of Allo Boss Player.
What would you suggest for under ₹10000?

What did you finally settle on?

I've been streaming to a pi+boss ver.1 for two years now - amply satisfied. Power supplied by a quality wall-wart (https://www.canakit.com/raspberry-pi-adapter-power-supply-2-5a.html). Presently considering separate power supply to the Boss HAT via batteries.

What did you finally settle on?

I've been streaming to a pi+boss ver.1 for two years now - amply satisfied. Power supplied by a quality wall-wart (https://www.canakit.com/raspberry-pi-adapter-power-supply-2-5a.html). Presently considering separate power supply to the Boss HAT via batteries.
Hey man!
I'm still without a streamer.
I was about to place the order from Allo directly the week the lockdown was announced.
I'll buy it once I can; but yeah, I think I'm settled on Boss Player for now.

Hi...I have ordered Allo Boss player 1.2 and it is expected to get delivered anytime next week. I need help in understanding how to stream spotify and other stream music using wifi and the volumio which is flashed in the card..Thanks for helping out....

Hi...I have ordered Allo Boss player 1.2 and it is expected to get delivered anytime next week. I need help in understanding how to stream spotify and other stream music using wifi and the volumio which is flashed in the card..Thanks for helping out....
I’m yet to order.
I’m confused.
I might get a stand alone DAC as I’m upgrading my TV (my existing TV doesn’t have optical out so didn’t need a separate DAC).
In that case, I might use my TV to stream Spotify. I also have a chromecast so I think I won’t be necessarily needing Allo Boss Player.
Since I’m new to audiophillia and there are so many options, I keep drifting towards one thing or the other.
As far as I know, you can control your Allo Boss player though your phone using either a browser or Volumio app. It is pretty straightforward. In case you get stuck, you can check out YouTube videos or volumio website. I’m sure there will be a lot of information.
Where did you order your Boss player? Is it with RPi 3 or 4?

In Volumio go to plugins ,there you can install volumio "connect ". When you play a song on Spotify app Just press the speaker icon in screen and it will show volumio as a player . Select it and now you don't have to use volumio interface just use Spotify app as a remote .
You can also install a plugin called mini dlna on volumio . Once you install it use a app " hi-fi cast " from that you can play files in mobile and files on usb drive attached to pi .

I’m yet to order.
I’m confused.
I might get a stand alone DAC as I’m upgrading my TV (my existing TV doesn’t have optical out so didn’t need a separate DAC).
In that case, I might use my TV to stream Spotify. I also have a chromecast so I think I won’t be necessarily needing Allo Boss Player.
Since I’m new to audiophillia and there are so many options, I keep drifting towards one thing or the other.
As far as I know, you can control your Allo Boss player though your phone using either a browser or Volumio app. It is pretty straightforward. In case you get stuck, you can check out YouTube videos or volumio website. I’m sure there will be a lot of information.
Where did you order your Boss player? Is it with RPi 3 or 4?

Hi...I ordered it from a portal in Bangalore called waretohouse.com.....its rpi4....i have just switched it on.....nothing happening as yet....:)

In Volumio go to plugins ,there you can install volumio "connect ". When you play a song on Spotify app Just press the speaker icon in screen and it will show volumio as a player . Select it and now you don't have to use volumio interface just use Spotify app as a remote .
You can also install a plugin called mini dlna on volumio . Once you install it use a app " hi-fi cast " from that you can play files in mobile and files on usb drive attached to pi .

Hi...thank you for your response. I have switched the BOSS player on....its showing up as volumio in my wireless device list...but is asking for a password. Also I have tried to connect it to my macbook air using USB cable...but there is no response.

DO I have to download volumio from the apple store to my iphone to operate the player?

On mobile select the Wi-Fi device as volumio and connect to it with password volumio2 . It will take you to a first run wizard you can configure your network by giving the password of your Wi-Fi network. it may also ask you select the DAC. After completing the first run wizard volumio will reboot and connect to your Wi-Fi network ,now you can install the plugins to access volumio interface . open any browser and type in the the IP address of volumio. install a app called fing to detect the IP address of your volumio device. You can use hificast app directly, Spotify will also detect volumio automatically you just have to select viliomo as the rendering device.

For excellent sound that won't break the bank, the 5 Star Award Winning Wharfedale Diamond 12.1 Bookshelf Speakers is the one to consider!
Back