ALRB87 (ACTIVE LINKWITZ RILEY BOOKSHELVES)

ONB

HI Guys
I am from mumbai and have been dabbling in speaker design for the past couple of years. My latest design is an Ported Active bookshelves with 24db linkwitz riley crossover with active bsc & tweeter time alignment . The speakers are powered with 40W+15W X 2 individual amps inside in the custom made plate amp powered with a 200VA low noise linear power supply . the best being these small bookshelves can achieve an incredible 108db/1m .
The mibbass drivers are crossed over at 2800hz and tweeters take on from there and on the lower end it does impressive 55Hz at -3db and 50hz at -10db.

How do you guys like it any comments would be welcome.

Regards
ONB

IMG_20180823_215901.JPGIMG_20180823_215952.JPGIMG_20180823_220040.JPGIMG_20180823_220129.JPGIMG_20180823_222745.JPG

Hi

Firstly welcome to HFV.

I love the looks, design and waiting to hear them. Neat finishing.

Have you posted any YouTube video on their playback?

Whats the specs of the drivers used and brand?

Are you planning to make more and sell? Do they come in Black color?

Do you have any other designs? I am sure there would be members looking up for custom made speakers in a reasonable budget.

They look as good as any branded speakers, fit and finish is top class(Audioengine anyone?) . Aptly you've branded them as well!
Congratulations...

the best being these small bookshelves can achieve an incredible 108db/1m .
That's pretty impressive.

The mibbass drivers are crossed over at 2800hz and tweeters
It'd be great if you could share the details of drivers and other electronics.

Very good fit and finish. I am sure they must sound excellent as well.
Please share details of the drivers and materials and electronics used in the build.

Some pictures of the WIP would also be great.

Could motivate a number of DIY enthusiasts in the forum

Hi ONB...
Welcome to the forum !!!
The question how do you guys like it is unnecessary:) Ofcourse they look awesome !!!

In this section there are many diy guys, and we are all curious to know the drivers you used. Ofcourse, unless you want to keep it confidential :D:D

Are those Iwai drivers...?

Looks similar

1.jpg

1.jpg

If those are Iwai 5.25" with Aluminum former, that's a great coincidence. Two days back i placed order for 4 pieces of the same. :D:D:D:D
So they are going to work good then ;)

Hi

Firstly welcome to HFV.

I love the looks, design and waiting to hear them. Neat finishing.

Have you posted any YouTube video on their playback?

Whats the specs of the drivers used and brand?

Are you planning to make more and sell? Do they come in Black color?

Do you have any other designs? I am sure there would be members looking up for custom made speakers in a reasonable budget.
Hi efernand1,
I am planning on a video and regarding black colour, yes definitely they do come in black that's my favourite colour for speakers...white colour was done on special request..

I have other designs some are in making...will update

Is it necessary for the crossover to be high at 2800 hz ?
Yes , any lower will cause it sound harsh , as selected tweeters fs is not very low..

Last edited by a moderator:
Simple, decent looking.:) only tiny suggestion is the grill frames could have rounded inside cuts which would have looked more harmonious to the rest of the design. Can't comment on sound unless heard;)

Welcome to the forum. Speakers look good. Started your entry with a bang is see.;). Like other's mentioned, some more details and what would be a round about cost for making such a speaker. Thanks

Welcome to the forum. Speakers look good. Started your entry with a bang is see.;). Like other's mentioned, some more details and what would be a round about cost for making such a speaker. Thanks

I have sent you details separately, please feel free to reach out if you need any more info...

regards
ONB

HI Guys
I am from mumbai and have been dabbling in speaker design for the past couple of years. My latest design is an Ported Active bookshelves with 24db linkwitz riley crossover with active bsc & tweeter time alignment . The speakers are powered with 40W+15W X 2 individual amps inside in the custom made plate amp powered with a 200VA low noise linear power supply . the best being these small bookshelves can achieve an incredible 108db/1m .
The mibbass drivers are crossed over at 2800hz and tweeters take on from there and on the lower end it does impressive 55Hz at -3db and 50hz at -10db.

How do you guys like it any comments would be welcome.

Regards
ONB

View attachment 29727View attachment 29728View attachment 29729View attachment 29730View attachment 29731
Fabulous work ONB. Reminds me of an 'Audioengine' pair I have. The 108dB / 55|50hz spec is a WOW !

For excellent sound that won't break the bank, the 5 Star Award Winning Wharfedale Diamond 12.1 Bookshelf Speakers is the one to consider!
Back