Alternate 3D glasses Sony HX850

hemchandran

Hi all, as you all know sony supplies only 1 pair of 3D glasses with its TV. Also if we need to buy a additional glasses, sony is selling for 3400rs it is available in ebay for 2400rs. Are there any cheap alternate/universal 3D glasses that can be used with the sony TV's.

I also searched, but could not find a satisfactory answer. The best is to buy from ebay.

Was in the same confusion but then purchased additional glasses from sony store only at the mentioned price.

I was told that glasses purchased online does not have warranty which is provided if purchased from sony store, though 1 year only.

Thanks & Regards,

Amit

Last edited:
Sony uses proprietory active 3D technology for glasses. The sync is via IR. Sony 3D TVs are not compatible with 3rd party 3D glasses. Hence, you have to purchase 3D glasses from Sony only. The price of Rs. 3,400, though expensive, is in line with the prices other manufacturers of active 3D charge, namely Panasonic.

In 2011, a new standard for active 3D, namely Universal Active 3D RF was established. Many adopted this technology in 2012 - Panasonic and Samsung for example. But Sony did not, unfortunately. Samsung active 3D 2012 glasses are just $17.99 a pair (Rs. 1,300 in India). I, myself, purchased four pairs for my own use with Panasonic ST50 as they are perfectly inter-usable. There are many 3rd party 3D glass manufacturers who are selling Universal Active 3D RF glasses from $10 to $20 a pair. Panasonic continues to charge $75 (Rs. 4,000 or so in India) for their own glasses - not worth paying.

In 2013, Sony is going to switch to passive 3D after looking at the popularity, success and adoption of passive 3D amongst consumers, even though passive 3D is reportedly (?) inferior (I don't think so).

Hi,

Based on my knowledge and product details availabe online, Sony has switched to passive 3d only for top of the line ultra hd / 4k model. Even the much talked about w900A and other w series models are with active 3d only.

Thanks & Regards,

Amit

Hi,

Based on my knowledge and product details availabe online, Sony has switched to passive 3d only for top of the line ultra hd / 4k model. Even the much talked about w900A and other w series models are with active 3d only.

Thanks & Regards,

Amit
OK. I stand corrected.

Hi,

Thanks & Regards,

Amit

w802 is passive 3d.

No, you have to purchase Sony glasses only because they need proper syncing with 3D tv. Other brands 3D glasses have different syncing frequencies so they will not work.

Follow HiFiMART on Instagram for offers, deals and FREE giveaways!
Back