Amazon KINDLE-2 now for $189/-

^ For Kindle + Euro Adapter

Price - $193.99 (after the $15 discount on EU Adapter)
Shipping - $26.97
Import Fees Deposit - $77.81

Total - $298.77

At the moment I have the free Kindle downloaded on my laptop from Amazon.Also downloaded a couple of my favorite novels for free---Madame Bovary and Scarlet Letter.Most classics are about a dollar each.Many are free.Benjamin Jowett's Complete Dialogues of Plato is about 3$.That's enough reading for a few months!As for the New York Times bestsellers--NOT INTERESTED!Not even for free.Perhaps one could consider reading that trash if one was PAID 9.99$ per work!
Love reading on the Kindle on my laptop.Downloads/searches are very fast.
And its FREE!
I stopped reading the paper editions of newspapers a couple of years back and now find the very idea of holding an
unwieldy newspaper repulsive as compared to the free online editions.But lately I find the very idea of reading any newspaper or watching TV repulsive
.....Roadside gossip and noises dressed up as earth shattering events!
I have postponed buying a Kindle as I first wanted to check out the iPad.Unfortunately still no sign of it in India!
How is the Barnes and Noble Nook?

At the moment I have the free Kindle downloaded on my laptop from Amazon.Also downloaded a couple of my favorite novels for free---Madame Bovary and Scarlet Letter.Most classics are about a dollar each.Many are free.Benjamin Jowett's Complete Dialogues of Plato is about 3$.That's enough reading for a few months!As for the New York Times bestsellers--NOT INTERESTED!Not even for free.Perhaps one could consider reading that trash if one was PAID 9.99$ per work!
Love reading on the Kindle on my laptop.Downloads/searches are very fast.
And its FREE!
I stopped reading the paper editions of newspapers a couple of years back and now find the very idea of holding an
unwieldy newspaper repulsive as compared to the free online editions.But lately I find the very idea of reading any newspaper or watching TV repulsive
.....Roadside gossip and noises dressed up as earth shattering events!
I have postponed buying a Kindle as I first wanted to check out the iPad.Unfortunately still no sign of it in India!
How is the Barnes and Noble Nook?

By the way, the classics are available for free from the Project Gutenberg website. However, they are in plain text and HTML formats, so some people may not find it very readable.

Personally, I will only consider buying an ebook device or download from an ebook service when they get rid of DRM and when I have the same "control" over the downloaded ebook as I have with a deadwood version.

I find the fact that Amazon reserves the right (or even the ability) to remotely "revoke" or "disable" a downloaded and purchased book a deal breaker. Smacks too much of "big brother" behavior.

Any idea when infybeam's Pi or Notionink tablet will be launched. May be that will open up the competition.

By the way, the classics are available for free from the Project Gutenberg website. However, they are in plain text and HTML formats, so some people may not find it very readable.

Personally, I will only consider buying an ebook device or download from an ebook service when they get rid of DRM and when I have the same "control" over the downloaded ebook as I have with a deadwood version.

I find the fact that Amazon reserves the right (or even the ability) to remotely "revoke" or "disable" a downloaded and purchased book a deal breaker. Smacks too much of "big brother" behavior.

@Tried Gutenberg.But the formats are not very enjoyable to read.The free Kindle format is nice.Also agree with your 'big brothers' remark.Revoking or disabling a downloaded book is akin to a publisher reserving the right to take back your printed edition for whatever reasons.
The classics at a couple of dollars are attractively priced but the online editions of contemporary authors I like-Ian Mcewan,David Mitchell,Mario Vargas Llosa,Philip Roth,Saul Bellow,Haruki Murakami,Amos Oz,Zoe Heller,JM Coetzee-are quite expensive.I wish they were more in the 2.99$-3.99$ range!

Hi Folks,
Are there e-books available in india?
Iam looking for e-books for CBSE, ICSE and other state board syllabus of various schools in our country.
Can anyone let me know? Can any e-book be used in Kindle or Ipad or anyother e-book reader? Or is there any specific formats to be looked into? I suppose html can be used. What about PDF's and others? Doc format cannot be used, may be iam not sure, though!!
How safe is to have e-books in e-book readers? Any backup required? (Kindle says - the battery is based on week's, where as Ipad is based on number of hours, not sure need to check!!)
What needs to be looked at when one needs to buy an e-book reader?
Any good site where i can get more information on e-book reader, specifications what it does not do etc?

Purchase the Audiolab 6000A Integrated Amplifier at a special offer price.
Back