AMP for cerwin vega LS 15

ashok281260

Hey guys,

I have bought a CV LS 15. please suggest a good AMP/Reciever for it.

PLease give me your top 3 options so i have lil liberty to chose as well.

Also, what speaker wires are good? & where can i source it in bangalore? if Online which place or any particular spec or wire?

Just a back ground - this will be played in a room of 20*16 along with SL 45C & book shelf is still not decided.

Also, suggest someone who can do sound proofing in bangalore.

Regards
Ashok

Why have you started a new thread for this? You already have a discussion running on your thread in Home Discotheque.

I thought this is a more relavant category to be in with specific requirement. so i started this Under AMPLIFIERs

That was more of Hometheatre...

whats your budget. these sort of speakers will generally require high power amps. one you can look at is the yamaha as500.

You can get your cables from Mr. Murthy of Bangalore who is highly regarded here. Search the forum for his contact details

Oh that Wire thread was actually no-nonsense description - hats off to the author!

It also says for hifi systems its better to use higher guage. i believe for my requirement 14/16 guage is good enough considering i might use power amp also.

Also, AFJ, the s500 it says only 2.1 stero. But i am looking at 5.1 & not looking for 7.1 for sure. Also if i am using power amps, how can i connect my center & surrounds?? i do not plan to have Sub woofers, as LS-15 has enough of it.

As per budget nothing is set, but please suggest multiple options so i can check/audition & choose that suits me.

i was also looking at these power amps (will consider these only if somehow i am able to connect my center & surround too)

Behringer a500
Sherbourn Pre & Power Amp
yamaha s500

please suggest how i can connect all 5.1(along/w power amp) & any/or other better options that you guys suggest

Oh that Wire thread was actually no-nonsense description - hats off to the author!

It also says for hifi systems its better to use higher guage. i believe for my requirement 14/16 guage is good enough considering i might use power amp also.

Also, AFJ, the s500 it says only 2.1 stero. But i am looking at 5.1 & not looking for 7.1 for sure. Also if i am using power amps, how can i connect my center & surrounds?? i do not plan to have Sub woofers, as LS-15 has enough of it.

As per budget nothing is set, but please suggest multiple options so i can check/audition & choose that suits me.

i was also looking at these power amps (will consider these only if somehow i am able to connect my center & surround too)

Behringer a500
Sherbourn Pre & Power Amp
yamaha s500

please suggest how i can connect all 5.1(along/w power amp) & any/or other better options that you guys suggest

i think you are going down the route of looking at specs to decide your setup. higher wattage at a good price gives you the likes of cerwin vega, behringer etc. when i started off with my setup i went down that route as well and ended up owning a yamaha professional amp. it wasnt great at all for daily listening. it does give big sound, but not very musical.

the cerwin vegas are also on similar lines. if you like listening to loud music and want the big sounds theyre good. it all depends on what you want. i would suggest you audition the speakers with an amplifier before you purchase

also the amps you listed are all stereo amps. so if you want a surround setup, you will need 3 power amps connected to a 5.1 pre amp. one for the front, one for the rear, and one for the centre. again, this reminds me of how i went about in planning for my setup initially

i think if you tell us what you want out of a system - what sort of music do you listen to, music to movies usage ratio, size of listening area, and budget, we'll be able to hep you better

the thing is i have no idea where to settle at.

my requirement is - am looking for mostly house parties. home discotheque if you can call that.
Room Size is 19*16
but at the same time i will be using it as home theatre & this would be, lets say 40% of the time.

so i need something to these requirements. budget as low as possible till the time the speaker is not underpowered, which are 400W RMS each

the cerwin vegas are already more than big enough for your room size. when you make your surround sound, system matching is key, so ideally you'd be going with cerwin vegas rears and maybe a mid as well (if they have something suitable). you will need a high powered avr to drive those speakers. and they will be a huge overkill

perhaps think of going just with stereo. you wont get the surround sound effect, but you will get all of the sound coming out of the front two speakers

As i said, my requirement is 60% - home discotheque & 40% is home theatre

as of now having only 2 speaker - going forward i will have center & Surround too of CV itself (mostly).

so please suggest - whats the advantage of POWER amplifier Vs normal AVRs?

Also, watt output should be good enough? -

based on that i can start hunting what sound signatures i like!

a power amp is an amplifier that amplifies music - takes input at low wattage and gives it out at high wattage

a pre amp takes various input signals and sends it to output, while controlling volume, equalizers levels etc etc

a tuner is a radio receiver

power amp + pre amp = integrated amp
integrated amp + tuner = receiver

amps can be of 2 channel / stereo having only 2 output signals (left and right)

or surround / avr having 5.1 or 7.1 output signals (2xfronts, 2xrears, 1xcentre and the .1 is for sub)

Thank you afj.

why do they(few of them & some reviews too) suggest "Power amps" to Cerwin vega, if the normal reciever/avr (power amp+ pre amp+ tuner) which is a combination of all?

CW s generally need high power amps which avrs generally cannot give. Also CWS aren't usually used in a surround sound setup. I've seen people use professional amps to power these speakers. They normally come as power amps. You can attach a mixer also to substitute a pre

If you're going surround sound, then go for a high power avr. You get Yamaha's in the region of 90w plus. That would work as a budget avr. But do audition before you buy to ensure the power is enough

1. Cerwin Vega are typically used in concerts, discotheques etc and there the concept of AVR does not arise. There is just music that needs to be piped to x channels each of which is amplifed separately. That's why you see power amps used with CW.
2. But that is not true these days. CW makes wonderful HT speakers too. Plus CW makes speakers of highest sensitivity. A decent avr can drive it easily.
3. pre + power is used in place of AVRs for demanding HT applications that need to fill large rooms with reference sound levels. That's because most AVRs do not have enough power when all channels are driven simultaneously, also most AVR cannot handle 4 ohm speakers (ex: Jamo D600). But for smaller rooms and with high sensitivity speakers, you should be easily satisfied with normal AVRs.

Hey guys,

Can you let me know if Onkyo TX-SR608 "OR" Onkyo M-282 - power amplifier OR CROWN XLS 202 can they drive the CV's properly? or any other suggestions for it?

I have heard ONKYOs , Sound signatures are suiting my requirement, but unfortunately this model i wont be able to audition!

Thanks

Last edited:
Hey guys,

I have bought a CV LS 15. please suggest a good AMP/Reciever for it.

PLease give me your top 3 options so i have lil liberty to chose as well.

Also, what speaker wires are good? & where can i source it in bangalore? if Online which place or any particular spec or wire?

Just a back ground - this will be played in a room of 20*16 along with SL 45C & book shelf is still not decided.

Also, suggest someone who can do sound proofing in bangalore.

Regards
Ashok

Hi Ashok, Is this Cw LS 15 same like Jensen 15" speakers? Is it 3 way? How much did you pay for this pair? Thank you.
Cheers,
Sunder

Finally i have decided to go with ONKYO's 545/646/747 after a audition with different CV speakers SL-12, which is mostly very similar to LS 15's.

Now i am exploring few used AVRs as well, where i am finding 6 Ohm Amps(i think UK spec). can they be suited to drive CV LS-15?

MOre Importantly, how different is 6ohm Vs 8 Ohm for 8 Ohm CV's? or if there is any article on this, please post it here!

Buy from India's official online dealer!
Back