Amp for Paradigm Studio 60v5, CD player quality:truths and myths?

hrd.hrishikesh

Hello all,
This is my first thread. Have been reading on the forum for a while now and it has been a great help. After a lot of research and frustration (due to lack of equipment availability) for a 2 channel set up, finally have decided on the Paradigm Studio 60 v5. Not many choices were available here and I was also interested in MA RS-6/8 or RX-6/8 but nobody had them. I'll post my impressions of the auditioned equipment (Speakers-JBL ES-80, Infinity Classia C336, Def Tech BP7004, Paradigm Monitor-7/9, Wharf Diamond 10.5, B&W-684, Polkaudio(forgot model), MS Aviano-6, Mission M-34i, Norge Tower 125. Amps- HK 3490, Norge Concerto Gold 1000 and 2060, Yamaha AX-497, CA 640A, NAD-372).

All considered, the Paradigms suited me best, listening being mostly rock, some western classical, some hindustani classical and miscellaneous(pop, hindi/marathi light music etc) with a newfangled liking for blues/Jazz. Now, I need an amp to pair the speakers with. Have already exceeded my budget somewhat and cannot go above 40-50 K for an integrated and maybe max 50-55 K if it's a flexible pre-power combo. I'd like the power to be at least 100 W into 8 ohms to drive these capable speakers. Has anyone tried the Anthem Integrated 225? How much would a NAD 355/372/375 cost? My taste is on the warmer side to neutral and don't much like brighter sound. The speakers themselves would not do very well a bright amp since they border on being open and unforgiving to harsh sound.

I might sound stupid for want of knowledge, but I have to ask. Is it worth spending a lot (15-20K) on a dedicated CD player when a DVD player can be had for 2-4 K? What is the difference between a single bit DAC in a cheaper player compared to an expensive one? Don't all the bits of the CD audio get processed and converted to analog? The same goes for cables. My criteria for making a decision in such fine matters is a blind test between different equipment. If it makes a noticeable difference without knowing what is playing, then it would be good for me to spend. Otherwise, if I cannot notice it, it cannot matter to me. Has anyone tested cables and CD players in this way?

Thanks in advance for the help.

Last edited:
I would want to put my money on Speakers and Amp. Recently I purchased MHDT havana. I see some improvement but not significant enough to invest. My system is also paradigms signature series. I am sure there is some hole in my system which is responsible for that problem I am not able to detect.

My suggestion would be to borrow a DAC from any of the friends or forum members if possible experiment it and then go for it.

I Need to do lot of experimenting changing cables, Speaker placement, room treatment etc.

Will continue to work on it.

Studio 60's are very good, I would prefer Preamp and Amp combination over the AV receivers for Music. I am not sure about Integrated ones. Anthem by brand is a great brand not sure about teh model you are referring.

Thanks
Pandu

Hello all,
This is my first thread. Have been reading on the forum for a while now and it has been a great help. After a lot of research and frustration (due to lack of equipment availability) for a 2 channel set up, finally have decided on the Paradigm Studio 60 v5. Not many choices were available here and I was also interested in MA RS-6/8 or RX-6/8 but nobody had them. I'll post my impressions of the auditioned equipment (Speakers-JBL ES-80, Infinity Classia C336, Def Tech BP7004, Paradigm Monitor-7/9, Wharf Diamond 10.5, B&W-684, Polkaudio(forgot model), MS Aviano-6, Mission M-34i, Norge Tower 125. Amps- HK 3490, Norge Concerto Gold 1000 and 2060, Yamaha AX-497, CA 640A, NAD-372).

All considered, the Paradigms suited me best, listening being mostly rock, some western classical, some hindustani classical and miscellaneous(pop, hindi/marathi light music etc) with a newfangled liking for blues/Jazz. Now, I need an amp to pair the speakers with. Have already exceeded my budget somewhat and cannot go above 40-50 K for an integrated and maybe max 50-55 K if it's a flexible pre-power combo. I'd like the power to be at least 100 W into 8 ohms to drive these capable speakers. Has anyone tried the Anthem Integrated 225? How much would a NAD 355/372/375 cost? My taste is on the warmer side to neutral and don't much like brighter sound. The speakers themselves would not do very well a bright amp since they border on being open and unforgiving to harsh sound.

I might sound stupid for want of knowledge, but I have to ask. Is it worth spending a lot (15-20K) on a dedicated CD player when a DVD player can be had for 2-4 K? What is the difference between a single bit DAC in a cheaper player compared to an expensive one? Don't all the bits of the CD audio get processed and converted to analog? The same goes for cables. My criteria for making a decision in such fine matters is a blind test between different equipment. If it makes a noticeable difference without knowing what is playing, then it would be good for me to spend. Otherwise, if I cannot notice it, it cannot matter to me. Has anyone tested cables and CD players in this way?

Thanks in advance for the help.

Where you had paradigm demo in Pune?. I am looking for paradigm monitor 7 series.

Where you had paradigm demo in Pune?. I am looking for paradigm monitor 7 series.
I had a demo at AV Excellence(Studio 60) and Aquarius Electronics(Monitor 7) and Monitor 9 in Mumbai (forgot shop name, it was Shop or something). Monitor 7 are very good too. Also try and see if you can audition Monitor SE series which is Monitor speakers with Reference series' midrange drivers (which would take care of the laid back mids on the monitor 7 as I perceived). All of them are very neutral speakers.

I would want to put my money on Speakers and Amp. Recently I purchased MHDT havana. I see some improvement but not significant enough to invest. My system is also paradigms signature series. I am sure there is some hole in my system which is responsible for that problem I am not able to detect.

My suggestion would be to borrow a DAC from any of the friends or forum members if possible experiment it and then go for it.

I Need to do lot of experimenting changing cables, Speaker placement, room treatment etc.

hi

Though i do agree with the opinion that entry level and many even mid fi dacs do not give good returns on an investment; that havana though is a nice dac which i dont count in above list
tha havana is a laid back to neutral dac

maybe you are looking to extract some more detail
if so,another dac may do it for you
othersie this is a real nice dac for guys who prefrer the laid back music'
im sure you dont complaing about the soundstge or the "presence" you get with this dac

may i suggest intoducing some silver into your cabling
may be the IC's

Back