Amp suggestions

SanVJ

Hi Guys,

I recently bought SMSL A300 and Q Acoustics 3020i speakers. I'm really enjoying the new setup, the sound was very good at low volumes under 30(Amp has volume upto 60). But when I crank the volume above 30 on the A300, the highs become piercing and it is unbearable in some songs. I even tried adding a tube amplifier to the chain but I didn't hear any noticeable change.

Before this setup I used Fosi BT20A with Micca RB42 speakers. Same case with that setup as well.

Now I'm thinking of buying DA-9. Will it be any better than the A300 or should I look for something else?

I use DAC 14 AWG speaker cable with DAC banana plugs. Shoul I change the speaker cables?

This is for the desktop setup so that I'm looking for amplifiers with small footprint.

Try auditioning something like Marantz 6006, 6007, or even Cambridge audio axa 35, lower-end Denon, etc with your speakers. The only issue is that these are bulky compared to your class D amp.

Last edited:
@SanVJ what is the source and DAC ?
If your using the USB input, it may be the problem. Try using bluetooth and check if the issue persists. (dunno if it suppers high quality audio)
If possible try testing a DAC, can smoothen out.
Also the harshness maybe due to the class D amp itself, the 3020i are not harsh speakers at all.

As @ajuvignesh suggested, test with some class A/B options.
But start with the source first if it is the problem.

I speculate that the hardness that you are hearing is due to either:

1. The amplifier clipping... ie the amplifier asked to deliver more than its rated output

or

2. The speaker being driven with more power than it can handle ie the speaker is being fed more power than it can handle.

A very common fallacy is that the amplifier will deliver its full power when its volume control is turned to the max

This is not at all true

Most amplifiers will clip (of course depending on the input level ) when the volume control is around 12 to 2 o'clock

if you are looking at a solution you probably need:

a. Either a more powerful amplifier
or
b. Speakers capable of handling higher power.

depending on which one is limiting the sound ......

I suspect its the amplifier in your case

@SanVJ what is the source and DAC ?
If your using the USB input, it may be the problem. Try using bluetooth and check if the issue persists. (dunno if it suppers high quality audio)
If possible try testing a DAC, can smoothen out.
Also the harshness maybe due to the class D amp itself, the 3020i are not harsh speakers at all.

As @ajuvignesh suggested, test with some class A/B options.
But start with the source first if it is the problem.
FLAC files on laptop is my source. I use 3.5mm to RCA to connect the amp. I don't have any DAC, so can't check. I tried all the inputs. It's same with all inputs.
I speculate that the hardness that you are hearing is due to either:

1. The amplifier clipping... ie the amplifier asked to deliver more than its rated output

or

2. The speaker being driven with more power than it can handle ie the speaker is being fed more power than it can handle.

A very common fallacy is that the amplifier will deliver its full power when its volume control is turned to the max

This is not at all true

Most amplifiers will clip (of course depending on the input level ) when the volume control is around 12 to 2 o'clock

if you are looking at a solution you probably need:

a. Either a more powerful amplifier
or
b. Speakers capable of handling higher power.

depending on which one is limiting the sound ......

I suspect its the amplifier in your case
Thanks for the response. But I don't think this is due to amplifier cliping or feeding more power to speaker. The amp has volume level upto 60. I never crossed 40 level.

Try auditioning something like Marantz 6006, 6007, or even Cambridge audio axa 35, lower-end Denon, etc with your speakers. The only issue is that these are bulky compared to your class D amp.
Considering Marantz 6007 as well. But can't find it anywhere for reasonable price.

With QA speakers, I would suggest you also look at Yamaha stereo amps. A simple integrated could do the trick for you.

Whats your budget for the amp ?

MaSh

FLAC files on laptop is my source. I use 3.5mm to RCA to connect the amp. I don't have any DAC, so can't check. I tried all the inputs. It's same with all inputs.

Invest in a DAC, then change amplifier or speakers.
Topping e30 is a good start and sounds wonderful.

With QA speakers, I would suggest you also look at Yamaha stereo amps. A simple integrated could do the trick for you.

Whats your budget for the amp ?

MaSh
Under 30k. I don't want to spend more than the speakers.

Better look for a DAC before changing anything from the chain. In and around 10k you can get a descent dac to start with.

Thanks for the response. But I don't think this is due to amplifier cliping or feeding more power to speaker. The amp has volume level upto 60. I never crossed 40 level.

This is not at all true

Most amplifiers will clip (of course depending on the input level ) when the volume control is around 12 to 2 o'clock.... which in yr case translates to a Volume Control reading of 30 to 40

Lower the output level from yr laptop to yor amplifier by 50% and you will observe that your system no longer sounds harsh at the earlier level of 30 or 40... because its not clipping.

Last edited:
FLAC files on laptop is my source. I use 3.5mm to RCA to connect the amp
The problem is here. Most laptops just have an headphone output which does not have enough power to drive the input stage (preamp) of the integrated amplifier. As you are connecting this headphone output to the preamp section of your amp with a 3,5mm to RCA connector, you are forced to pump up the volume knob to get the music louder which in turn increase the noise floor.
So better get a USB soundcard with a line level output which will usually be around 2 volts.

The problem is here. Most laptops just have an headphone output which does not have enough power to drive the input stage (preamp) of the integrated amplifier. As you are connecting this headphone output to the preamp section of your amp with a 3,5mm to RCA connector, you are forced to pump up the volume knob to get the music louder which in turn increase the noise floor.
So better get a USB soundcard with a line level output which will usually be around 2 volts.
Thanks for the response, Sir. Will be getting an entry level DAC soon.

Get a DAC and check if the issue is rectified. Even if the issue is not rectified, you will anyway need a DAC in the future for better sound quality. So, buying a DAC is not wasting money.
Do audition amps like Marantz pm 6007 and it has a built-in DAC. If you like this amp, you can buy it and no additional DAC is needed.

Distortion (not noise) on his setup increased when the Volume Control on the AMPLIFIER was raised.

The output of the laptop remained unchanged.

An external DAC will almost certainly improve Sound Quality, but .....
will not change the distortion at high volume...

just IMO :)

I think you should try what Indian Ears says. Reducing your input into amp may help. He has given you the right and most common reasons for the behaviour you see.

I think you should try what Indian Ears says. Reducing your input into amp may help. He has given you the right and most common reasons for the behaviour you see.
Sure, will try that once I get a new amp.

Distortion (not noise) on his setup increased when the Volume Control on the AMPLIFIER was raised.

The output of the laptop remained unchanged.

An external DAC will almost certainly improve Sound Quality, but .....
will not change the distortion at high volume...
headphone outputs unlike line level outputs have a built-in amplifier which in laptops usually are of average quality that add higher noise level, especially when it is maxed out. Also these headphone outputs are designed to drive low impedance loads like headphones (normally 16 to 600 ohms) whereas line level outputs are optimized to drive high impedance load offered by amps.
So this maxed out amplified signal is what was fed into the SMSL amp, and when OP increased the volume on his amp, this reflected on the Q Acoustics beyond a gain level.

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Walnut finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back