Amp types (Tube/SS/Hybrid) preference for Rock/Hard Rock/Pop/Classical music

john_k_antony

Hi,

I just wanted to get some opinion on your experience/preference of different Amp types - Tube/SS/Hybrid while listening to different genre of music like Rock/Hard Rock/Pop/Indian Classical Instrumental/Semi Classical/Indian Film music (Hindi/Tamil/Malayalam, old and new).

As per my listening experience, I found SET tube amps to be excellent for Indian Classical/Semi Classical and Slow and Progressive Rock. I never heard Pop/Hard Rock music through a Tube amp yet.

Is hybrid (Tube Pre and SS Power) Amps a good choice for wide genre of music? Like the hybrid Pre-Power Amp solution offered by AP and Rethm.

Thanks,
John.

Honestly, there are no rules. Most generalizations have come into vogue due to various constraints imposed by various budget points.

For example you can get a fairly high power and well-engineered solid state integrated amplifier around 800 $ but you will be hard-pressed to find something with similar qualifications in the hybrid or tube world unless you spend 2 or 3 times.

Making good tube or hybrid amps is a bit costly affair due to design as well as sale numbers.

If you look at the market keeping these in mind and is flexible with the $$, carefully chosen amps from any design camp if paired with appropriate speakers can rock, play classical or whatever !

The biggest and loudest rock concerts in the golden age were all driven by monster tube amps

absolutely right square wave all the axe legends used tube amps to shred that sweet leads...so anyday a tube amp or probably a hybrid is great for rock & jazz!...was listening to motley crew on my tube amp paired with a b&w 602's and they sounded REAL HARD!

nothing can be said until the OP says - what is the Speaker

every speaker needs its own dose .. ;)

Nice catch :). If its tube, my speakers are going to be a wideranger, preferably with an inbuilt powered subwoofer. Sensitivity around 100db. The short lists in my audition list are

1. Zu Omen Def I-B
2. Rethm Maarga/Saadhana

Have heard a 8W SET with Zu Def MK IV, they do ROCK the house with tight and deep bass. But didn't listen to hard rock/pop on that setup. It was mostly soft and progressive rock + hindustani instrumental classical. Zu Def MK IV has a powered 12" downfiring woofer. Buts its damn expensive $ 16K :(.

Also heard AP is in the process of making new FS speakers to go well with their new hybrid Pre/Power amp combo. Will audition that too. The speakers looks "out of the world" though :). Have to see how it sounds.

I am also considering Emerald Physics Active speakers with active cross over. Cpl of FMs here recommended me to check out active speakers to the audition list. However, they are also expensive to setup!. Emerald Physics guys said once you spend on their active speakers, one doesn't need to invest thousands of dollars on amps. They said a decent amp costing hundreds of dollars will make them rock and roll.

-John.

I remember that you had mentioned somewhere that your colleague/boss is making a tube amp and expecting to receive it by early next year. Have you cancelled it?

I am also considering Emerald Physics Active speakers with active cross over. Cpl of FMs here recommended me to check out active speakers to the audition list. However, they are also expensive to setup!. Emerald Physics guys said once you spend on their active speakers, one doesn't need to invest thousands of dollars on amps. They said a decent amp costing hundreds of dollars will make them rock and roll.
Why do you need another amp for an active speaker, was he referring a pre-amp. But preamp is an imp comp in the chain than the amp.

Last edited:
I remember that you had mentioned somewhere that your colleague/boss is making a tube amp and expecting to receive it by early next year. Have you cancelled it?

Why do you need another amp for an active speaker, was he referring a pre-amp. But preamp is an imp comp in the chain than the amp.

Sajith,

Getting the amp build in the US and getting it here is pain. One of my colleagues did that and the Home Land Security had a tough time understanding that it was an Amp. Because the Amp looked more like a big bomb :D. Because of big transformers and wires running around in an unclosed cabinet :). Also my boss is busy and said it will take a while for him to start on my project. So he gave me the circuit and list of components. He asked if some one in Bangalore can build it for me based on specs and circuit. He is a good friend of Viren and asked me to check with Viren, if he could build the amp for me. So I am just looking at some alternate options in case if that plan doesn't workout.

-John.

I remember that you had mentioned somewhere that your colleague/boss is making a tube amp and expecting to receive it by early next year.

my boss is busy and said it will take a while for him to start on my project. So he gave me the circuit and list of components. He asked if some one in Bangalore can build it for me based on specs and circuit. He is a good friend of Viren and asked me to check with Viren, if he could build the amp for me.

Hi John_k_anthony,

Now you are making me drool.:licklips: If you don't mind, could you PM me the details of the tube amp? If Viren would make it, I'm keen to join in.

Rgds

Rajesh

Last edited:
Hey Kittu, since they are located in Bangalore only, why don't you guys check it out personally and post your impressions?

484/C Nanjappa Reddy Layout,
koramangala 8th Block
Bangalore-560095
Karnataka.India.
Phone +91 80 41467142 ,
Mobile:+91 99002 95241
email: [email protected]
: [email protected]

Hey Kittu,

I spoke to Rajesh Nair when I was scouting for my TT. I couldn't meet him in person. Seems like a great resource on high end audio. We can make a visit to his place. I will be completely free from 2nd week of Nov ( gonna be a bachelor again for some time :yahoo:)

-John.

Hey Kittu,

I spoke to Rajesh Nair when I was scouting for my TT. I couldn't meet him in person. Seems like a great resource on high end audio. We can make a visit to his place. I will be completely free from 2nd week of Nov ( gonna be a bachelor again for some time :yahoo:)

-John.

I will also join...seems to be a pretty good source in bangalore...

Hey Kittu,

-John.

Sounds like a plan. :) I am in.

Also heard AP is in the process of making new FS speakers to go well with their new hybrid Pre/Power amp combo. Will audition that too. The speakers looks "out of the world" though :). Have to see how it sounds.

That is something I would like to hear. Any idea when they are coming out?

Hey Nikhil,

I am planning to visit them some time soon for a detailed audition. I will let you know when I get some inputs on that. The prototype is already there on their web site. Looks Extra Terrestrial :).

John.

Order your Rega Turntables & Amplifiers from HiFiMART.com - India's reputed online dealer.
Back