Amp upgrade for LS50

Sathish123

Hello Guys, its my first post. I'm looking to upgrade my integrated amp for LS50. Currently using Denon PMA 600 NE. Although I feel the power is adequate volume wise, the separation, details and soundstage are a little lacking. But its very good for the market price. The speakers are 7 ft apart in the living room. The room is 10ft X 25ft. I listen to blues, instrumentals, soundtracks, new Bollywood and a bit of Rock. Purchase has to be in India. Thanks in advance for suggestions.

HI Sathish123, whats the rest of your system ?
Soundstaging is usually a function of speaker and room interaction more than the amp by itself..and to some extent on the source itself.

Hello Guys, its my first post. I'm looking to upgrade my integrated amp for LS50. Currently using Denon PMA 600 NE. Although I feel the power is adequate volume wise, the separation, details and soundstage are a little lacking. But its very good for the market price. The speakers are 7 ft apart in the living room. The room is 10ft X 25ft. I listen to blues, instrumentals, soundtracks, new Bollywood and a bit of Rock. Purchase has to be in India. Thanks in advance for suggestions.

+1 to what @arj stated. LS50s image and center very well.
Also the sound stage is quite large if you give it space and try different positioning.
But yeah, it can do better with a beefier amp, bass control and layering comes with amp's signature.
Don't expect thump from LS50. It is not designed like a traditional BS speaker
Rega Elex/Elicit may be a good match. Parasound HINT? Peachtree Decco Sky?

Cheers,
Raghu

Thats one area that I know so little about that I cannot even comment on the source !

Have you ever tried the same from a CD player ( even if borrowed) to see if there is a difference in soundstaging etc ?Also do post a diagram of your setup vis a vis your room

Thats one area that I know so little about that I cannot even comment on the source !

Have you ever tried the same from a CD player ( even if borrowed) to see if there is a difference in soundstaging etc ?Also do post a diagram of your setup vis a vis your room
:)
This reply was a really honest one. LoL

Hi Arj, I'm mostly streaming Tidal from Elac discovery server through Roon essentials using optical out from Elac.

Try these if you have not (maybe the presentation will be different)
- use Coax out from ELAC to Denon; Coax usually does better than Optical
- use ELAC's on board DAC and connect to Denon via Analog input

Cheers,
Raghu

:)
This reply was a really honest one. LoL

its the fact !

Try these if you have not (maybe the presentation will be different)
- use Coax out from ELAC to Denon; Coax usually does better than Optical
- use ELAC's on board DAC and connect to Denon via Analog input

Cheers,
Raghu

I like your suggestion on the Coax. It would be interesting to see the result along with some speaker positioning.

Thanks Arj and Raghu, will try using the Coax to the Denon. Not much scope to move around the speakers, will try whatever little I can do due to my two little ones. I'll keep posted, thanks for the help.

Thanks Arj and Raghu, will try using the Coax to the Denon. Not much scope to move around the speakers, will try whatever little I can do due to my two little ones. I'll keep posted, thanks for the help.
Follow KEF's instructions on positioning as much as possible.
I did the same with R300 and settled on an acceptable compromise.
Good luck.
Cheers,
Raghu

After addressing placement and positioning, if you still want to upgrade amp why not try acoustic portrait? Given you are in bangalore, you can probably request for an audition before purchasing. you probably have multiple options like Thiyaga hybrid or Swara separates with tube pre. I maybe wrong but I feel the LS50 s may benefit with tubes in the chain.

Follow KEF's instructions on positioning as much as possible.
I did the same with R300 and settled on an acceptable compromise.
Good luck.
Cheers,
Raghu
R300 and LS50 are no comparison. The RS is leagues ahead.
LS50 is a finicky speaker. Amp matching is very critical and options are limited.

It is often partnered with Hegel at demoes, but that is an expensive amp. I would suggest a little laid back amp, British amps like NAD, Naim, Cambridge Audio 800 series should be fine with it.

LS50 is a finicky speaker. Amp matching is very critical and options are limited.

It is often partnered with Hegel at demoes, but that is an expensive amp. I would suggest a little laid back amp, British amps like NAD, Naim, Cambridge Audio 800 series should be fine with it.
Not to derail the discussion but from what I read the claim seems to be that LS50 scales up based on the chain. if that is not the case and R300 are better, then i want to drop my search for LS50!

@SwaroopKS
As @Kannan states (probably @Sathish123 can chime in too) LS50 are quite finicky.
I've heard them in demo rooms multiple times and they have wowed me and left me confused.
Probably one chain was better matched that the other.
When they sang, they really did sound wonderful.

R300 is what I would call the affordable trickle down tech speaker.
Apparently, R3 has even more trickle down from KEF's reference series.
Have you thought about LS50-W or LSX?

Maybe when this pandemic gets un-busy @Sathish123 and I can hookup and try stuff out.
I have 2 Pre/Pwr combos, what say @Sathish123?

Cheers,
Raghu

Although I feel the power is adequate volume wise, the separation, details and soundstage are a little lacking.

Wondering if you have too much of a toe in? If so, try keeping them facing straight ahead. That usually opens the soundstage and separation.

Not to derail the discussion but from what I read the claim seems to be that LS50 scales up based on the chain. if that is not the case and R300 are better, then i want to drop my search for LS50!
R300 is far better than the LS. ProFX will even give you home demo. Check it out for yourself. I know at present situation it may be a bit risky, but wait and get a demo
The passive LS50 is a more a lifestyle product. The active one is fine tuned to the LS50 design and and should be a better bet. Get all three demoed

If the distance between the wall and the speakers is not much you can also experiment with the port plugs which came with the speaker. I experienced tighter bass and better imaging once I used the port plugs with my R3s since I don’t have much distance between the wall and the speaker.

R300 is far better than the LS. ProFX will even give you home demo. Check it out for yourself. I know at present situation it may be a bit risky, but wait and get a demo
The passive LS50 is a more a lifestyle product. The active one is fine tuned to the LS50 design and and should be a better bet. Get all three demoed
Yes that’s very true. If anyone is thinking about going for Ls50 passives I’d rather recommend the LS50w because to achieve optimal performance you’ll inadvertently spend some good amount on the amp and in the end the diff between the two won’t be much.

@SwaroopKS
As @Kannan states (probably @Sathish123 can chime in too) LS50 are quite finicky.
I've heard them in demo rooms multiple times and they have wowed me and left me confused.
Probably one chain was better matched that the other.
When they sang, they really did sound wonderful.

R300 is what I would call the affordable trickle down tech speaker.
Apparently, R3 has even more trickle down from KEF's reference series.
Have you thought about LS50-W or LSX?

Maybe when this pandemic gets un-busy @Sathish123 and I can hookup and try stuff out.
I have 2 Pre/Pwr combos, what say @Sathish123?

Cheers,
Raghu
I also feel the volume seems to be important. In fact it sounds better at high volume. At low volumes it sounds a bit lifeless. Meet up, Absolutely, Im still working 100% even during the lockdown. Let things settle down a bit.

After addressing placement and positioning, if you still want to upgrade amp why not try acoustic portrait? Given you are in bangalore, you can probably request for an audition before purchasing. you probably have multiple options like Thiyaga hybrid or Swara separates with tube pre. I maybe wrong but I feel the LS50 s may benefit with tubes in the chain.
Thanks Kannan, never heard them before, but will look into them.

Follow HiFiMART on Instagram for offers, deals and FREE giveaways!
Back