Amphion & Epson Meet in Pune

denom

Banned
Banned
Hi all,

Was invited to be part of an interesting meet which took place yesterday in Pune.

Amphion Speakers consisting of the Entry level

Helium 410 BS

2csc21z.jpg

jjrygm.jpg

Helium 520 FS

1z6s1gg.jpg

33lh2sg.jpg

nqnvnp.jpg

11w3l0z.jpg

13yexrn.jpg

Emotiva
USP-1 Pre Amp
XPA-100 Power Amp Mono Blocks

2jd2es1.jpg

NAD 356

NO Pics taken as it is already well known amp on the forum, still one can get a 'peek-a-boo' shot in one of the Amphion pics :D

Krell KAV-300i

1zvpsma.jpg

Acoustic Research Master Series 10AWG Speaker Cables factory terminated with banana plugs

2eyzvx1.jpg

2qlsnbb.jpg

QED IC's (No Pics again :p)

Source:
Marantz SA7003 SACD

NAD MDC DAC

HEHEH, same reason for no pics as NAD & QED :eek:hyeah:

Epson had their latest PJ's showcased, comprising of TW5200 & TW8200.

TW5200

t82rrq.jpg

140x4xs.jpg

TW8200

3313jps.jpg

wam104.jpg

k2h2ir.jpg

Epson Team giving demo of TW8200

28tc21l.jpg

atn0ww.jpg

PJ Enthusiasts having 3D experience

33b01zo.jpg

Nice 'frames' eh??? I'll be baaaackkkk :lol:

2h5nuh4.jpg

After hours party 'solutions' ;)

33z6zi1.jpg

2dlnp76.jpg

Will be writing about the demo's experience of the above gears shortly.

Sorry Dave , and our mega host Viky and Pune team -- due to my #%^$ health unable to attend .. snd it seems I missed a lot!!

Interesting to hear Amphion was here in india !!!
My home theatre system until last year - when I sold it before coming back - was all Amphion speakers. Krypton fronts, Xenon (I think rears) and the big subwoofer, which I don't think they even have in their product line any more.
I still have the subwoofer here and hope to use it some day to make a new HT set up.

@Denom: Lucky you!!! :) Look forward to reading your impressions.

Amphion speakers have been generating a lot of interest, specially their bookshelf paired with small amps
for the desktop. I had no clue they were available in India. they look great! :licklips:

Also the Single Malts~!!~ Cheers!

Last edited:
Interesting to hear Amphion was here in india !!!
My home theatre system until last year - when I sold it before coming back - was all Amphion speakers. Krypton fronts, Xenon (I think rears) and the big subwoofer, which I don't think they even have in their product line any more.
I still have the subwoofer here and hope to use it some day to make a new HT set up.

Hi Staxx,
Amphion is now available in India, currently only in Mumbai through Fairdeal Electronics. Representation in other parts of India might be happening down the line.
You had the killer Kryptons doing HT duty :D Would love it if you could pen some thoughts & experiences with them esp in 2channel if any at all :thumbsup:

@Denom: Lucky you!!! :) Look forward to reading your impressions.

Amphion speakers have been generating a lot of interest, specially their bookshelf paired with small amps
for the desktop. I had no clue they were available in India. they look great! :licklips:

Also the Single Malts~!!~ Cheers!

Hi Arhant,

Review is W.I.P :p Will post it asap. Amphions have certainly got potential to shake some established players in the market. I fell in love with the 410's :licklips: You definitely need to hear them.

:cheers:

You had the killer Kryptons doing HT duty Would love it if you could pen some thoughts & experiences with them esp in 2channel if any at all

I have heard the Amphion Kryptons a few times. In India i.e.
It is a nice speaker.
A dear friend had installed it @ home for a while with GamuT Electronics & now they are in use with Chord [Digital gear] & Octave Pre & Power, Cables are Argento Flow - I think. Not 100 % sure. My Power cords are in use @ that set up - Acoustic Revive Power Cords & RTP-2's I think.

This is a good VFM Speaker & an excellent option to the 'regular' B & W / Focal etc. line of speakers. An audion for prospective buyers is highly recommended - I am sure the D & D [Nexus Audio] will be more than delighted to arrange for a demo.

For a speaker that is made in Europe - Finland it is well priced & price to performance is good.:licklips:
It just needs people to adapt & accept its 'voicing'

I am sure 'denom' will do an extensive review on Amphions - so do keep a look out for it.:clapping:

Epson Experience:

Was glad to get a hands on demo of their new PJs, namely the 5200 & 8200. The session started with the AM Sales (Visual Products) Western Region of Epson giving us a little background info on Epson company & its game plan for India as far as PJs are concerned, info on their after sales service, bulb life, PJ maintenance along with the salient features of the models which were brought for the demo.

Will briefly gloss over the gyaan learnt from the above.
1)Epson India serious about Indian market & will be slowly increasing its presence in the market with more models to fill in gaps in current product portfolio. PJs for home theatre are to be sold only through their respective AV Dealers & not through the dealers who sell the office related PJs/Printers & other such equipments sold by the company for office/business related markets.
2)After sales service team is a separate division & have their own guidelines laid out to follow. They will not entertain any Epson PJ brought from outside India, as its the company policy.
3)Each model of their PJ is tagged/archived/service history maintained via the respective serial no. So if there is any issue faced by customer in the lifespan of the PJ, it is documented & updated by the company in its records.
4)Demo models given to Epson retail partners/dealers are void of any warranty. This is done to ensure that the dealer does not sell the demo piece to an unsuspecting buyer who thinks it is new.
5)Bulb life is a standard 500 hours or 1 year, whichever is earlier across the model range.
6)Basic maintenance of a PJ that can be handled by end user was also discussed, mainly with regard to cleaning the dust filter lightly by dry brush & duration of doing so of about once in 45 to 60 days depending on the levels of dust accumulation keeping the area one lives in mind.

The TW5200 model showcased was mainly targeted to buyers who are heavy gamers than movie viewers. Were given just a brief demo of this model as its intended purpose/target audience is as mentioned above.
The TW8200 was given a good workout & its details explained feature wise. Tried out their RF 3D Glasses & experienced some 3D clips. Loved the picture quality of this PJ , very crisp & detailed presentation. Viewing distance should be kept in mind though as sitting say around 4-5 feet from the screen whilst viewing 3D pictures can induce a headache & strain on ones eyes. Lens shift functioning was demonstrated & it was really very easy to do by end user.

Some observations on the 8200:

1)Unit is neither to big/nor too small
2)Body can get hot at its sides, during prolonged use & so its advice able to have air-conditioning of the room.
3)Remote is a big one!
4)2 RF 3D glasses provided along with the PJ. Additional ones cost RSs.6600/- per piece, which is quite steep.
5)Screen is also a very important part of the experience, so one must buy a good one to extract the best out of the PJ .

Detailed specifications of the above models can be viewed online & so am not going to discuss them here.

Epson India is very keen to learn/interact with their PJs end users, so would love to be part of future meets organized by our FMs. Will forward the contact details to FMs who would love to have similar Epson Experiences when they organize their meets in other cities.

Amphion Helium 410 Book Shelf Speakers:

Helium 410 | Amphion

A small pair of BS speakers are not looked upon kindly by almost all of us, the reason being what can be done by such little speakers? The same thought came to my mind when I first laid eyes on the Amphion Helium 410s. They have an uncanny resemblance to the Technics SB-F1 speakers, Technics SB-F1 on thevintageknob.org
which I had for a while & appreciated them a lot for their goal of achieving a big sound in such a small size. The Helium 410s are slightly smaller than these made me eager to hear them even more. We had 2 varieties of high power amps to pair with made things even more interesting as getting such an opportunity is very rare, as most of the times one would associate with pairing small speakers with low or modestly powered amps, keeping their size & also the overall budget constraints in mind. So here we had the opportunity to do the converse which was really going to be very educational, or so I thought.

The first combination was:
Krell KAV300i integrated amp + Amphion Helium410 + Marantz SA7003 SACD Player.
I must be candid here & admit that I have not been a big fan of Krell amps, as till date have never had a satisfying experience with the limited models heard. Keeping this in mind, I decided to let things just play & wait for the krell to warm up which is about 30 minutes. During this warm up period itself, I was sub consciously getting warmed up to the Krell/Amphon synergy that was taking place & past the warm up period was drawn in truly to what this synergy was doing. Track after track of Billy Idols greatest hits at moderate levels was making my feet tap, sing along & just enjoying Billy Idol after a very long time. All this happening & I just could not believe how good a krell can be, when paired with the desired speakers for it. Hmm, something unexpected & totally shocking for me :) The Amphion Helium 410s are now getting some serious attention!!! Dexter Gordon was playing next & this satisfaction level is growing amongst the others present as well. Just when the atmosphere is getting charged, a dampener happens!

We are now trying out the second combo, which comprised of:
NAD356 integrated amp with MDC DAC built + Amphion Helium410 + Marantz SA7003 SACD Player, which is now used purely as a transport.

Couple of tracks played, some Hindi ones too. All the excitement is lost, sound has become muddy/tubby(as my friend puts it :lol: )

All the life is sucked out of the music & its becoming unbearable compared to the earlier combo experience.

A Prometheus TVC Passive Pre is suggested as the remedy & so its added into the above chain, whereby the NAD356 will be used only for its power section.
Yes, there is an improvement to a certain extent, we get a better sense of instrument separation, vocals etc but still the magic of the 1st combo is far away. Its decided to do away with the NADs MDC DAC & go back to the Marantz for DAC+Transport duties, which gets us even better results, which are just about acceptable but still not ideal.

Time for the third combo, which comprised of:
Emotiva USP-1 Pre +Emotiva XPA-100 Power Amp Monoblocks + Amphion Helium410 + Marantz SA7003 SACD Player.
We are back in business! Things are now almost at levels of the first combo & the satisfaction gained in the musicality is similar. Again, the Emotiva has risen to the occasion & synergy with the Helium 410s has been achieved.

Couple of observations:

1)Krell/Amphion synergy is killer. Emotiva/Amphion synergy is not far behind either.
2)Emotiva Pre/Power sound is quite balanced, otherwise the Emotiva Pre sounds bright when paired with other power amps, as have experienced earlier.
3)NAD 356 let down severely by its pre section. The MDC DAC has the all too familiar NAD sound signature. Listening to the 356 felt like being kicked in the GONADS! OUCH :p

Having played around with all combinations available, we go back to the Krell /Amphion combo & listen to music for almost 4 hours non-stop, throwing almost everything at it & it comes out like a champ going through the motions of effortless victories one after the other. Never in my wildest dreams did I expect this combo to work & that too work so dam well :clapping:
The Helium 410 speakers have such an emotional contact with you, its very difficult to let go. They can give you immense satisfaction at low/moderate & high volumes, which is a very important & likeable trait. I loved the way the sound was projected, as it made the speakers disappear & gave a sense of room filling sound with immense clarity. A very well designed & thought out speaker. Kudos to the designer :clapping:
Coming back to their size, well after hearing them belt out at various volumes in a 400+ sq ft room, all I can say is that SIZE DOES NOT MATTER wrt the 410s!
Yes, it was a thoroughly educational experience, with regard to the size to performance ratio, but more than that it was an emotional connect with a speaker, which was a bonus for me. Pocket Rockets in the truest sense of the word!
In the end, this speaker would be my pick as the Star of the meet, but as always good things do not come cheap & the Helium 410s are a tad expensive at the informed list price of Rs.83k :eek:
A jumbo group buy to bring down the price??? :p
Jokes apart, a discount of 15% is assured by Fairdeal for interested buyers.

Amphion Helium 520 Floor Standing Speakers:
Helium 520 | Amphion

We had 2 sessions of listening to the Helium 410 BS speakers & in between the 2, we had the opportunity to listen to the big brothers of the Helium 410s, which were the Helium 520 FS Speakers.
This time, there was no mucking about & straight away, the Emotiva Pre/Power amps were hooked onto the Helium 520 FS with the Marantz SA7003 doing DAC+Transport duties.
We played most of the same music cds that we heard with the Helium 410s & a few more. The Helium 520 FS sound quite different than the Helium 410s & with good reason, as the focus here is to give a bit of everything in a measured manner. You get the idea the minute you hear these speakers.

Deep bass is somewhat restricted, but the overall tonal balance is impressively neutral and the sound has warmth through the upper bass where many rivals tend to collapse. One also has to keep the slender & petite profile of the speaker in mind to appreciate the things its able to do. Yes, the PMC Twenty.23s are almost similarly petite, but then they have their ATL technology to augment the bass from that size & for that you end up paying a premium as well. So all things said, the Helium 520s have to be appreciated.
Imaging is precise and tightly focused, capable of delivering decent depth. Sibelius Symphony No.2 demonstrated this beautifully, with the brass at the back of the orchestra clearly operating convincingly.

The fact that a person who dislikes FS speakers & generally prefers BS over FS was amazed at what the Helium 520s can do.

The Amphion Helium 520 is a cleverly designed speaker, offering a rare combination of warmth, neutrality, coherence & imaging. It might not be perfect for all, especially for deep bass lovers but still has a lot of positives going for it.

The Helium 520s can be fun speakers too & this aspect was highlighted in totality when we heard a couple of authentic Marathi dhin-chak tracks from the Marathi movie Natrang. It played really Kadak!!! Speed/timing & instrumentation well separated/defined was thoroughly enjoyed even by non-marathi folks :D The Helium 520s ROCKED!!!

Samples of the tracks played from Natrang OST CD
Natrang marathi song apsara aali - YouTube
Natrang - Wajale Ki bara, Mala Jau dya na ghari - YouTube

We were immediately requested by a well known marathi gent to please stop playing such songs any further as he was imagining an apsara dancing in front of him seductively enough lavani style for him to go into rocket launching mode! :eek:hyeah: Live baithak feel courtesy Helium 520 :p

If I have to nitpick & find fault with the Helium 520s, the proverbial fly in the ointment would be the abovementioned lack of deep bass & the list price of Rs.2.50L. Fairdeal will offer 15% discount for them as well.

Having said that these are a far better than the plethora of options available in the market & their purchase would be a relatively mid to long term investment for one to enjoy music & movies (they have a matching centre as well for HT enthusiast)

General Observations on the Amphions (Helium 410 & 520):

1)The finish, pun heavily intended :D is quite good & minimalist. The ones we had for demo had the same Nextel grey finish, which make the speakers look very understated & simple. Quite easy to get dust on them like a piano gloss finish, but then dust is our number one enemy anyways. They have a walnut option too(For 520 only), which looks really beautiful & would be my pick from the choice of finishes available. Unfortunately the walnut finish is 35k dearer :(

2)Cabinets are light yet very well built & so you do not hear any artifacts/additions from them. In fact the speakers can very cannily disappear & sound very open & dynamic. The speed of the paper cone drivers is mind boggling. No lag at all!

3)Amphions have a very fast & dynamic sound. Things stop on a dime approach, which is very pleasing & nice to experience.

4)The bass is very well defined/super tight/fast & focused. These speakers are Not for bass freaks as it does not keep hanging around which some people like. I preferred the 410s without a sub, as the LFs generated were more than sufficient for my liking.

5)The Amphion Helium series may look like run of the mill Bass reflex designs but there is more to it than meets the eye. Details of that explained in this link:
6moons audio reviews: Amphion & NuForce systems

The Amphions are currently available for demo at Fairdeal Electronics in Mumbai.

Hi Denom,

thanks for the review. Did the epson guys say anything about how the 8200 compares to the 8100?

is there any major difference?

I fell in love with the 410's :licklips: You definitely need to hear them.
:cheers:

@ Denom: Thanks for the review. They definitely look like something to check out.
As bhagwan mentioned, a good alternative to the usual "popular" brands.
The price is a bit steep but i think that comes with bringing niche brands to India.

Will try and audition them to get an idea of their sound.

A good comparison would be with Guru Junior, priced similar to the Amphion 410s (I think!), also considered a hugely enjoyable desktop speaker.

Last edited:
Great review!

Helium is one of my favourite speaker brands and they do really well in real-world situations and I found Helium range to be a lot less fussy on positioning which is a big plus for people like me who share living space with other things along with Audio enjoyment :)

Hi Denom,

thanks for the review. Did the epson guys say anything about how the 8200 compares to the 8100?

is there any major difference?

Hi Kapvin, glad you liked my review, appreciate it. The main difference is the Contrast Ratio, which is almost double than that of the 8100. Anyway, the 8100 is phased out now. Unfortunately the price from 8100 to 8200 has shot up too much :(

@ Denom: Thanks for the review. They definitely look like something to check out.
As bhagwan mentioned, a good alternative to the usual "popular" brands.
The price is a bit steep but i think that comes with bringing niche brands to India.

Will try and audition them to get an idea of their sound.

A good comparison would be with Guru Junior, priced similar to the Amphion 410s (I think!), also considered a hugely enjoyable desktop speaker.

Hi Arhant, thanks for appreciating my review. No idea of the Guru, but the Helium 410's you can audition when you are in town next. Trust me, you will be blown away by the 410's :licklips: Nothing that I've heard in that price range available locally can hold a candle to them.

Great review!

Helium is one of my favourite speaker brands and they do really well in real-world situations and I found Helium range to be a lot less fussy on positioning which is a big plus for people like me who share living space with other things along with Audio enjoyment :)

Thanks for appreciating my review, appreciate it. You've hit the nail on the head regarding the Amphion Helium Series, they sure are fun speakers which can give one lots of satisfaction in listening to a variety of music.

Hey Denom, as usual a very thorough review and a highly enjoyable read. Keep up the great work and sipping on some Amrut Fusion for me....:licklips:

For Amphion lovers - I have been thinking that it is unlikely that I will be putting together an HT system again - more of a two channel man and so will sell my silver colour Amphion Impact 500 subwoofer. I am waiting to get the Indian price from Fairdeal and will then post in the appropriate place. Although I know it was an expensive piece (and it is active with a 500W amplifier built-in), it will be at a substantial discount.
(OT: At some point my SIM2 projector, which has been serviced with new bulbs, will also part my nest. Note, this does 1080i/720p but is of exceptional quality).
Hope it is of interest to some FMs.

Once more, one of the most enjoyable days of the year for me !
Thanks, Denom, for taking the lead to set it up.
Thoroughly enjoyed the Amphions, and meeting Khusrau too.

Viki

Hello Hari. I have spoken to the distributors and they are clear that although they can import some of the speakers on order they are only bringing in and dealing actively with the absolute bottom of the rung when it comes to Amphion. There are a few reasons he cites, but clearly it is a commercial decision, which is understandable. It appears that he would rather sell many units of the cheapest model.
There is very little chance of him bringing in the Krypton ever, let alone the Argon series and the subs.
He tried to sell me some Focals instead (which he had) saying they were "better", when I inquired about speakers at higher price points - whatever that is supposed to indicate.
Regards

Last edited:
Would have loved to listen the Krypton's and compare it our Krypton TLs.

With due respect, the 1st part of your statement is brilliant, but the 2nd part is a bit too 'ambitious' !
The Amphion Krypton II is a super loudspeaker. One of the better 'off tangent' loudspeakers that one can buy. It is listed @ 20/- K US $'s [I think] [15 lacs ++ in India]

Your Krypton's [TL's] are excellent for a 'starter'
Some one that is on a shoe string budget & is getting off the blocks after he has finished with a Boom Box [2000 Watts PMPO etc] & has decided to move on from a Bose 201 etc.

It is great that you want to go & listen to the Kryptons [Finland] & that should be possible - do request 'denom' & he will set up an audition for you in Mumbai through its D & D [Mr. Jilla] - they are installed & in use here [Mumbai] - [Chord Front End - UK & Octave - Germany Pre & Power with Argento - Denmark FMR Cables]

All the best ! Hope you get to listen to it - The Finland 'Krypton II's i.e.

Last edited:
Well done Denom !! I am sure you will enjoy them. What are the specs of the room that you are planning to use them in and the partnering equipment please?

A beautiful, well-constructed speaker with class-leading soundstage, imaging and bass that is fast, deep, and precise.
Back