amplifier cooling solution with pics

krell

hi, my onkyo tx nr 906 is becoming hot especially at upscale reon chip. checked in net and found that this is the main problem which causing many onkyo models to fail their HDMI Boards.hence i done simple cooling fan solution with existing materials and the result is very good. the temp dropped from 55 to 35-38.
the link for all the steps are
https://plus.google.com/photos/1045...s/5943909367388635665?authkey=CMyZ5fbS-aqkpQE

:):)

Great going...
I think even I tried the same using the Corsair case fans connected with a mobile charger. It did reduce the temperature. I rather put it outside over the case pulling the hot air out. But I felt not much required in Bangalore across the year its cool especially my area :)

I used to keep a laptop cooling pad on the AVR' and use its USB port to drive it.
You can mount the fans at a position above the heat sinks (if space permits) spaced out from each other for maximum cooling

I used to keep a laptop cooling pad on the AVR' and use its USB port to drive it.
You can mount the fans at a position above the heat sinks (if space permits) spaced out from each other for maximum cooling

hi,
thanks for your suggestion.
1)my amp had only one USB port,and i am using it to connect to my hd and usb drive for mp3 playback.
2)i want to keep the fans inside the amp,so that they are not visible and do the job stealthy.

hi,
thanks for your suggestion.
1)my amp had only one USB port,and i am using it to connect to my hd and usb drive for mp3 playback.
2)i want to keep the fans inside the amp,so that they are not visible and do the job stealthy.

Ofcourse your's is the better idea. No doubt.

I had kept the AVR inside a rack with not much gap above it, so the fan was not much visible. Besides, it had LEDs lighted up so it was cool. :cool:

if i use one pull and one push...2 fans..any harm?

Not advisable. Unless they are mounted on opposite ends (on sides) or adequately spaced out on top.

Best is to have pull fan(s). I mean take the heat out of the unit, rather than blow the air into it. They can be mounted at any position, preferably closest to the sinks. Blowing air into the cabinet may spread the heat on such components which otherwise run cool. And there may not be a good escape route for the hot air.

Last edited:
hi. push pull set up is best suited if the heat source is between them and the pull capacity is more than the push capacity.generally they will referred to ID Fan(pull) and FD fan(push).
but for amp we dont have that much space and i checked the temp of my amp with heat gun after this installation and the temp difference is more than 20degrees.

FD fan is only used when there is something to do with combustion or creating a turbulent flow for increased heat absorption, like inside a boiler. In this case, use of only ID fan is the way to go.

I had kept the AVR inside a rack with not much gap above it, so the fan was not much visible. Besides, it had LEDs lighted up so it was cool. :cool:

Can you post a picture of the same? :)

FD fan is only used when there is something to do with combustion or creating a turbulent flow for increased heat absorption, like inside a boiler. In this case, use of only ID fan is the way to go.

well said. for normal avr cooling id fan is enough

Hey Santy,
Was it you who had posted a pic some time back? Can't find the thread now.

Check out this thread as well.

Can you post a picture of the same? :)

Well, I don't think I have a proper picture of the same. It was in my old setup. But I found one -shot at a distance; if you are able to see, I was using laptop cooling fans for both AVR and Amp. For the amp, I used a USB charger to run the fan. :) Both were used to pull out the hot air. The fan on AVR by design was tapered towards the front - it helped the air to be pushed out, instead of being circulated inside the rack.

DSC05043_zps17888768.jpg

Hey Santy,
Was it you who had posted a pic some time back? Can't find the thread now.

Check out this thread as well.

Yes its the thread but I didn't post a proper pic I guess. :)

Yes its the thread but I didn't post a proper pic I guess. :)

No, that's not the pic. There is a pic or two of a CPU fan kept on top of an AVR in a rack. The air is being pulled out of the AVR in that particular post.
It's actually quite a close-up shot.

Buy from India's official online dealer!
Back